Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: ZRPG  (Read 72727 times)
Brian

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2009, 03:55:31 pm »

Was hoping to save this for a rainy day, but it is cloudy here in Seattle today, so here we go. As the speculators have correctly guessed, yes, DoubleBear’s first game is indeed a Zombie RPG, which we have fondly referred to as a ZRPG internally. Before people start running in all kinds of directions with that, here’s what I will confirm:

-Set during the breakdown of society as emergence of zombies causes widespread panic and disorder.

-Slow, shambling zombies. Spreads like a virus/bite transmission. No, you are not a zombie, that would be stupid.

-Serious examination of a national crisis or natural disaster. Humans and a lack of order are a bigger threat than the undead. Think Hurricane Katrina, Children of Men, Dawn of the Dead NOT Resident Evil, Return of the Living Dead, zombie shooter-type games.

-Game is about survival. Scavenging resources, exploring the area, dealing with other survivors, and managing a “shelter” of sorts are the main focus of the game. More on this later.

-Game is open-ended. There are characters and events that could happen, but the story depends on where you go, what you do, and who you meet.  Of course, there’s a lot more to this and we'll go into more details as time goes on.

We’ll be here often shooting down the wildest of theories and discussing our systems in more detail. Let’s start the old back and forth, shall we?

b
Kingston
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 04:05:36 pm »

Sounds great. I'm hoping for a lot of party dynamics and tough choices i.e. running back to a dangerous zone to save your friend (who might in turn save you in a tricky situation) at the risk of death, hijacking some innocent family's car and leaving them to die and whatnot. Playing Iron Man will probably be a lot of fun.
Edward_R_Murrow
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 04:08:31 pm »

Newsposted on the Codex.  Sounds awesome.  And yeah...I'm surprised nobody has done this yet.
Starwars

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 04:12:28 pm »

First questions:

1) Is it set in the real world? Present time?

2) How large is the scope of the game in terms of areas? Confined to a city or bigger/smaller?

3) For the rulesset, is it skill-based or class-based? Maybe some general examples of how character growth will tie into the survival aspect of a zombie apocalypse/examples of skills etc?

Sounds like a really awesome idea. Can't wait to see more info on it.

Vince: "We strongly believe that the hardcore player doesn't want to be loved, but wants to be kicked in the balls and then kneed in the face."

Check out some of my home-recordings: http://www.youtube.com/user/Starwars83/videos?flow=grid&view=0
wjw
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 04:12:58 pm »

If it's anything like the first five minutes of 28 weeks later (the part in the farm). I am sold.

Oh. And question: Did you two read the Zombie Survival Guide? If not: You should. It might be helpfull in getting some things 'right'.
peakperformance

Nintendo DS-fetishist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 04:22:38 pm »

Cool. I just hope it has some sort of focus and isn't just free roaming stuff, we'll get to know that in due time of course.

Best of luck!
Jaesun
DS Bronze Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 04:23:51 pm »

Hell yeah!!! Eagerly awaiting this now.
Anonxeuix

Malteser.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 04:26:30 pm »

Sounds great, that Zombie RPG thread we had a couple of weeks ago is full of ideas, too Smile

Did you two read the Zombie Survival Guide?

I'm reading World War Z right now, I thirst for more zombies!

"I don't take drugs: I am drugs." - Salvador Dali
Dolemite
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 04:28:59 pm »

Maybe some sort of crafting-type system to build useful gadgets out of scavenged materials? I'm usually not a fan of crafting but it seems to lend itself to the setting...
Brother None
DS Bronze Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 04:34:17 pm »

Awesome. By coincidence, I've been reading this comic lately and thinking what a nice setting something like it would be for a RPG/sandbox game.

Plenty of questions do pop up.

1. Does this mean only one type of zombie? The classic, shambling type? I don't think that'll be a problem considering the focus is not on them, but do consider the zombie genre is old, and expectations aren't what they used to be. I'm not a big fan of running zombies, but I do like the way that - say - the Zombie Hunters linked above, or Left 4 Dead, expands up zombie "types". It'd certainly make combat with zombies more interesting, speaking of which...

2. What about combat? Considering scarcity of resources, is this one of those games were preservation of ammo is so important you tend to avoid combat, or even trade weapons for food because you need it (like Pathologic)?

3. Speaking of food, you mention resources are important. Does that mean consumption of food, or even clothes and/or medicine, a la Realms of Arkania?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 04:36:05 pm by Brother None » Logged
Brian

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 04:41:48 pm »

First questions:

1) Is it set in the real world? Present time?
Yes to both.

2) How large is the scope of the game in terms of areas? Confined to a city or bigger/smaller?
The scope is moderate. Naturally, if gas stations were closed, roads were clogged with cars, and people/zombies are a constant threat, you wouldn't be able to travel too far. More on the map and location later.

3) For the rulesset, is it skill-based or class-based? Maybe some general examples of how character growth will tie into the survival aspect of a zombie apocalypse/examples of skills etc?

Skill-based, with some very basic stats. Skills generally make two or more common types of actions easier in the game. For example, if you were to increase the Leadership skill, you'd open up more Leadership-based dialogue options and increase the effectiveness of your allies.

b
Dicksmoker
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 04:44:00 pm »

Can you tell what caused the zombie outbreak? Or is that supposed to be a secret (in the gameworld)?
Annie
Developer

Dead State game designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 05:02:30 pm »

Only shambling zombies - no runners, no spitters, just classic Romero/Shaun of the Dead/Zombie Survival Guide shamblers.

But... Romero showed us that PEOPLE are the real danger more than any brainless zombie...  Evil

WILL GAME FOR WORK
Tuomas
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 05:08:16 pm »

I have zero interest in zombie stories. The only walking dead I can stand are the original Voodoo zombies. However, I have a feeling that DB is going to make the game appeal to a wide range of people. Brian's little summary sounds promising.
Brian

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 05:20:33 pm »

3. Speaking of food, you mention resources are important. Does that mean consumption of food, or even clothes and/or medicine, a la Realms of Arkania?

As a matter of fact, food is important. It's somewhat like a form of currency. It's one of several important resources in our game. The player will never have to worry about feeding themselves in the normal mode of the game, though it will be a factor in the survivor mode (the hardcore/iron man mode). If the player has allies, they will need to eat or conflicts may arise.

b
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: