Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Animations  (Read 12771 times)
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2009, 06:45:47 PM »

Animations!

[attachment deleted to save space]

[attachment deleted to save space]
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 03:57:39 PM by Vince » Logged
Gregorus Prime

Cheese and Whine Distributed Freely

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 08:01:05 PM »

I like the fact that for once an RPG is showing actual interaction between weapon and target but it still seems to lack that visceral feel I remember so well from Fallout.

Whatever. Still looking forward to this game. The animations are far from the most important thing in a game like this.
Hector
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 12:35:37 AM »

That's just an animation though, so no doubt the real thing will look one hell of a lot better.

For once we get a game with evil options that let you play malevolent character not just an obnoxious cunt. Happy times.

"Pardon me, good sir, might I take a moment to stab you in the lungs?"
erbgor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 09:04:22 AM »

Here is one.

Is nice, needs sound effects :captainobvious:

Just what is so great and serious about videogames that videogame journalists should be fighters for truth, rather than purely promotional devices for a niche hobby (which is what they were meant to be).?
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 09:17:56 AM »

And blood particles, but those appear in game.

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Frost
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 09:37:06 AM »

Nice animation. I'm very pleasantly suprised with quality of it. As always, the biggest issue is that the attack animation lacks hmm that 'omph' factor. Some strenght and dynamic.
Squirly
Journeyman

Sproing!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 10:22:27 AM »

And blood particles, but those appear in game.

Does it come out of his chest in a fountain of blood?

I mean, it doesn't have to, but that would be sweet.

Dig the animation, btw.
Fryjar
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 10:26:09 AM »

I liked it, but the whole animation was a bit too slow for my taste. Just speeding it up would certainly improve it and maybe provide the visceral element that the other posters were talking about.

Edit: Were the animations in the trailer #2 already speeded up or held at the same speed setting?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 11:13:50 AM by Fryjar » Logged
Tuomas
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 10:45:18 AM »

Great animation! I think it's perfect just like that. And I agree, it's great to see weapons in a physical contact with the body.
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 12:10:04 PM »

Were the animations in the trailer #2 already speeded up or held at the same speed setting?

They were at the normal setting.

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 12:21:42 PM »

I liked it, but the whole animation was a bit too slow for my taste. Just speeding it up would certainly improve it and maybe provide the visceral element that the other posters were talking about.
The models look fantastic, love it.  I don't think the animation would be improved by playing faster.  I suspect it's a subtle difference in what is motivating (physics-wise) the victim.  You may have noticed, even in multi-million dollar animated films, a character pulling himself up a rope or onto a ledge, that doesn't look like he's doing real work, just going through the motions.  In this case, I think the victim doesn't look like he's getting kicked off the end of the spear, or that the spearman is really pushing him, just that the events are synchronized.  In this case a little tweaking of the timing might be all that's needed, like extending the segment starting with boot on chest and ending with victim off spear.  Still great stuff, regardless!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 12:27:44 PM by Scott » Logged

My novel is published! DREAMLANDS
Gregorus Prime

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 06:20:52 PM »

You can tweak it forever but it's impossible for it to look perfectly natural without some motion capture to base it off of. It looks fine how it is; certainly better than a stock dying animation that gets used in every situation. The focus should be on finishing the balance fixes so they can get the goddamn demo out and (hopefully) get the game out not much later than that.

EDIT: Oh, and I never did comment on how awesome the music in the trailer is. Who deserves my praise for it being absolutely perfect?
Nick
Administrator

En Taro Adun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 07:42:56 PM »

Lind Erebros, the guy who worked on King's Bounty music, wrote us 13 tracks, and will do more.

"Oh, 'twould be marvelous if the world and its moral questions were like some game board, with plain black players and white, and fixed rules, and nary a shade of grey."
The Black Company. Shadows Linger.

"But is the best good enough?"
(c) Oscar
Gregorus Prime

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 09:38:29 PM »

Well tell him he did a great fucking job.
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 09:39:50 AM »

You can tweak it forever but it's impossible for it to look perfectly natural without some motion capture to base it off of....
Allow me to be pedantic, because my ancient former boss used to say this all the time, and we were supposed to know something about animation.  No, it is not impossible to animate something to look natural without motion capture.  Have you ever seen a Pixar movie?  I know ITS has a smaller budget than Pixar, it's just a little axe of mine I had to grind.

My novel is published! DREAMLANDS
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: