Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGThe Age of Decadencecombat question for age of decadence
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: combat question for age of decadence  (Read 23814 times)
Anders
Apprentice

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2009, 10:22:16 pm »

Hi guys, i'm new to this place and had a questions about the game.

- Will thief like characters be able to survive combat just as well as the heavy armored fighters or will there to a large degree be alternative ways for the more stealth inlclined players to sneak around fights that are too problematic?

you're all doing a great job by the way,  i've never bought an indie game before but if this doesn't turn out to be dysfunctional i'm buying it.
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 12:44:50 am »

I'm sure that Vince will go into more detail later, but for starters, the game does not have forced combat (random encounters and such). So most probable yout "thief" character won't even have to survive combat since he will not be entering it.

Heh, even some "assasination" quests have non-combat solutions. There is one I really like in which you can even make your target to commit suicide (and it's more complex than saying "You are an abomination, you should kill yourself" Wink).

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
MaximB
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 04:13:41 am »

But on the other hand I remember Vince say that if you really piss off one "clan" then they will try to kill you with "not-so-random-encounters" Wink
I wonder if such encounters happen there could be a "peaceful" solution.

Gauntt
DS Bronze Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 04:22:04 am »

If you have annoyed a clan enough that they are sending out people to try and kill you. Then you have already used up all your peaceful options.

There are some situations where no matter what you say its shouldn't stop a fight.

For example if you double cross another clan and they send people to kill you. Your word is less then nothing to them. So talking out of combat should be taken off the table. Maybe sneaking away or hiding...
GC13
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 10:04:58 am »

A thief-type character will have a high Dodge skill.  I don't know how Dodge stacks up versus Block + heavy armor DR in the current setup, but previously Vince said it was quite a competition between the two setups.  Remember that light armor lets you benefit from a higher Dexterity score (more action points per round) and therefore lets you dish more pain.
thekdawg21

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 10:54:33 am »

I've lurked here for a while and never really saw this brought up:

I know it's a cliche in many games, but will there be 'boss level' combat?  Such as:  either fighting one elite level enemy, or a large-scale battle between many foes in a difficult and challenging (tactics wise) battle?
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 11:41:11 am »

But on the other hand I remember Vince say that if you really piss off one "clan" then they will try to kill you with "not-so-random-encounters" Wink
I wonder if such encounters happen there could be a "peaceful" solution.

Sure, I'm talking about random encounters like you can find in Fallout or Baldur's Gate, or practically every RPG in existance. All combats are related to your choices in the game. If you choose to fuck with a faction, well, suffer the consequences Smile

A thief-type character will have a high Dodge skill.  I don't know how Dodge stacks up versus Block + heavy armor DR in the current setup, but previously Vince said it was quite a competition between the two setups.  Remember that light armor lets you benefit from a higher Dexterity score (more action points per round) and therefore lets you dish more pain.

Well, it depends if he wants to focus on a combat thief or not. Anyway, yes, lighter armor has the benefit of a higher dexterity score. Also dodge allows you to focus on 2H weapons.

I know it's a cliche in many games, but will there be 'boss level' combat?  Such as:  either fighting one elite level enemy, or a large-scale battle between many foes in a difficult and challenging (tactics wise) battle?

There is no "boss" combat such as a difficult fight in the end of a level, but there are several large scale battles, especially in the Imperial Guards questline, such as defending a small pass against a barbarian horde 300-style, or taking over a town. And also there are several individuals with great fighting abilities, but they are not waiting for you at the end of a level or in the later stages of the game. You can meet one very early on, in Teron. Check the Let's Play thread, you can see a guy named Dellar. He is a great fighter that uses an armor crafted with the best metal in the game. You will feel the pain if you fight him Evil
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 11:47:56 am by Oscar » Logged

Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 11:50:59 am »

- Will thief like characters be able to survive combat just as well as the heavy armored fighters or will there to a large degree be alternative ways for the more stealth inlclined players to sneak around fights that are too problematic?
Yes. A good thief will be able to avoid combat and/or talk his way out when necessary.

you're all doing a great job by the way,  i've never bought an indie game before but if this doesn't turn out to be dysfunctional i'm buying it.
Thanks.

Well, that's not forced combat. That will be the result of your own actions and you'll still have a chance to avoid it.

A thief-type character will have a high Dodge skill.  I don't know how Dodge stacks up versus Block + heavy armor DR in the current setup...
It stacks up well, but we are talking about non-combat characters here.

I've lurked here for a while and never really saw this brought up:

No. Well, there are some really good fighters in the game, like Dellar (see the Let's Play AoD thread) who is one of the top 5 fighters in the game. Whether or not you'll have to fight him is completely up to you (i.e. your actions may or may not lead to it).
Anders
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 02:34:41 pm »

thanks for the answers. i had a similar question as well: does combat oriented characters that go for more light armor types and maybe a bit more flimsy weapons like daggers and fast but lower damage swords be able to handle the combat side of things as well as the standard heavy type fighters?
Hector
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 02:58:59 pm »

That, as I understand it, is the plan.

For once we get a game with evil options that let you play malevolent character not just an obnoxious cunt. Happy times.

"Pardon me, good sir, might I take a moment to stab you in the lungs?"
Anders
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 02:59:56 pm »

duuude this will be the greatest game ever.
GC13
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 03:22:40 pm »

It stacks up well, but we are talking about non-combat characters here.
There's no such thing as a non-combat character.  There are characters that are good at it and characters that are bad at it, but it's not like when you make your AoD character you choose whether to be on a PvM server or a Pv_ server. Wink

Bad jokes aside, he said a thief-like character, not a non-combatant.  Just pointing out that you can fight well and still not be a heavily-armored juggernaut, is all.
Hector
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 03:43:32 pm »

You're also not obliged to get into any fights.  It is possible, as I recall, to finish the game without any combat.  Difficult, no doubt, but possible, thus non-combat characters are also possible.  That said, it would probably be best to invest a few points into a couple of combat skills just in case.

For once we get a game with evil options that let you play malevolent character not just an obnoxious cunt. Happy times.

"Pardon me, good sir, might I take a moment to stab you in the lungs?"
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 03:47:56 pm »

thanks for the answers. i had a similar question as well: does combat oriented characters that go for more light armor types and maybe a bit more flimsy weapons like daggers and fast but lower damage swords be able to handle the combat side of things as well as the standard heavy type fighters?
Yes. The current "Riddick" build is very, very effective.

You're also not obliged to get into any fights.  It is possible, as I recall, to finish the game without any combat.  Difficult, no doubt, but possible, thus non-combat characters are also possible. 
It's possible. I'd even say that at the moment fighting your way through the game is much harder than talking/sneaking.
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 04:08:45 pm »

That, as I understand it, is the plan.

That's not the plan, that's how it is.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: