Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGThe Age of DecadenceSomething to look at while you're waiting for the demo
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Something to look at while you're waiting for the demo  (Read 142063 times)
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2009, 10:13:05 am »

1 - The demo menu screen. Suggestions are welcome.
2 - The bath house
3 - fireplace
4 - Ganezzar's outline
5 - guild

Edit: That's what Oscar's working on at the moment. I grabbed a few shots to post for your amusement and entertainment. Oscar hates when I do that, but that's what being a good host is all about.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 10:17:06 am by Vince » Logged
GC13
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 10:29:06 am »

Heh.  I still think you were too suble labeling it a combat demo.  Some people might still miss it. Wink

The tragedy of AoD's art is that while it is beautiful and even rendered in 3D, the graphics snobs out there are going to whine about them anyway.  You know the types: wouldn't play Fallout even with a gun to their head because it doesn't have 3D graphics, or Deus Ex because the textures are so low-res. Wallbang

Don't worry Oscar, we all <3 you. Smile
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 10:54:55 am »

I think the people who like AoD are going to be making a much bigger noise than the few who accidentally play it and are disappointed by the graphics.

Ganezzar looks freakin' amazing!  How does Oscar keep getting better and better?  Salute  Like the menu too.  And everything else.

contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal:Arbiter's Mark | Stygian
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Encased | ATOM RPG | Realms Beyond | Fell Seal:Missions&Monsters | Urtuk: The Desolation
Jedi_Learner
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 11:15:55 am »

Suggestions are welcome.

When the user clicks exit, will there be some sort of exit message?

• Release date Tongue
  • Screenshot or two
  • A list of planned features
  • "Thank you for your interest in Age of Decadence. Please join our community at http://www.irontowerstudio.com and share your feedback."

I'd like to take a moment here and address the issue of expectations. There is nothing revolutionary or evolutionary about AoD. I hope it will be a good game, nothing else.
Ellorien
Master

Mindflayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 11:19:57 am »

I see you did include the bath house after all. Nice. How about a bakery?  Smile

Great job, Oscar. You should ask for a salary increase.

μολὼν λαβέ
Wrath of Dagon
Colonist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 11:29:00 am »

Looks great as usual. So what's going to be taking place in the bathhouse? Embarrassed

Don't graze me bro!

4 8 10 10 4 4
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 11:30:20 am »

It's a place to meet interesting people.
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 11:40:45 am »

Finally, we can see the menus Tongue I was waiting for this moment, and well, you came short. The menu is way too clunky and underdesigned. First of all, why make the "combat demo" text so big? The room would be much better spent with a simple warning on a small font, or even the menu itself. About it (the menu), the horizontal disposition is uncommon, and frankly, it's distracting. I think a vertical menu would be more efficient, maybe put it on one side of the screen and fill the rest with concept art or something. You'll wanna make a good nice first impression with the menu, so don't spoil it. No need for so much hugeness. I'll try to drawn a concept today, if I find the time.

The renders... marvelous as always. I don't know... how can anyone not find them nice and cozy? I love them...

Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 12:00:43 pm »

Great job, Oscar. You should ask for a salary increase.
Really.  Demand a 20% pay raise, effective immediately.  I'm sure Vince will come through!

Regarding the menu I find the horizontal distribution a nice change, and I don't think putting concept art in the background would improve anything.  "One man's underdesigned is another's.. etc."  It's simple and functional and the blood splash looks good, and is in keeping with the theme.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 12:03:29 pm by Scott » Logged

contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal:Arbiter's Mark | Stygian
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Encased | ATOM RPG | Realms Beyond | Fell Seal:Missions&Monsters | Urtuk: The Desolation
Arzar
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 12:12:34 pm »

Ahem, title and letters in gold, splash of red, black background. Inspired from the Dragon Age logo ?
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 12:22:12 pm »

Here's something I'd prefer to what you have now. Not that it's perfect, far from it, the concept is stretched, the fonts are badly positioned and redered, and stuff like that, but it shows what I mean:

:EDIT:
Oh and btw, won't you wanna include a credits list? It wouldn't hurt...

Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 12:40:46 pm »

HAWT! Oscar?
DangerousDan
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 01:04:52 pm »

Morbus' one is better, yes. Everything else is great. This criticism deal you chaps go on about so much is all well and good, but it is very difficult to fault most of Oscar's work.

History, that is, the unconscious, swarmlike life of mankind, uses every moment of a king's life as an intrument for its purposes. Kings are the slaves of history.
-Leo Tolstoy
Bradr
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 01:07:13 pm »

The blood splash looks good for the purpose of the combat demo, but the whole "Combat Demo" is pretty darn big.  Don't know if you were going for this, but the first thing I thought was the movie 300.  

I do like the idea of the background imagery - I always feel that kind of stuff creates a better atmosphere.  The horizontal menu bar does not bother me too much.  

Is there any animation/rollover on the menu selections?  Also, what is the mouse cursor doing?  Anything interesting?  I still remember a game called Nox, not the best game ever, but a very cool intro screen with a trailing mouse cursor effect.  Not that it would work for this game, but definitely added to the atmosphere the designers were trying to create.

December 25, 2009, 07:49:24 PM
"http://www.irontowerstudio.com/files/AoD_demo.ex Go nuts." - Vince
Yes sir, I believe I will
DangerousDan
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 01:19:51 pm »

This must be in the final version.

History, that is, the unconscious, swarmlike life of mankind, uses every moment of a king's life as an intrument for its purposes. Kings are the slaves of history.
-Leo Tolstoy
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: