Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: CSG update #35 - Demo update #2, more screens  (Read 11403 times)
cthulhu
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2019, 05:11:49 am »

I'd suggest replacing the linear THC bar with something that clearly shows the relation between different type of hits, e.g. Euler (or Venn) diagrams:

Inner circle (or whatever other shapes you want to use) would show crit %, outer one would show regular hit %, then two further circles showing graze % and miss % respectively.

You could then put both regular and graze hit circles inside a larger one labeled with the combined hit chance, that should avoid confusion as to what exactly the THC includes.
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2019, 08:20:31 am »

Lots of good suggestions here re: colored log terms, losing the blue lines everywhere! (most games are content to show cover-shields when hovering over the location), and leaner terminology.

Writing the Chief Magistrate's dialogue has been a total blast. Seeing this deathmatch arena dressed up in legalese makes me think how arbitrary and ridiculous many real world systems are. Vince has a ton more super-fun characters in his back pocket, so watch out!

contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal:Arbiter's Mark | Stygian
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Encased | ATOM RPG | Realms Beyond | Fell Seal:Missions&Monsters | Urtuk: The Desolation
Wizard1200
Colonist

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2019, 02:26:08 pm »

The 'melee' damage resistance should be called 'impact' damage resistance, because it sounds better in my opinion.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2019, 02:42:20 pm »

I agree that melee is a very gamey term but impact doesn't cover slashing attacks and can as easily refer to bullets. Any other suggestions?
Wizard1200
Colonist

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2019, 02:59:33 pm »

Good point. The Alternity RPG uses 'high impact' for bullets, 'low impact' for melee and 'energy' for beams.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2019, 03:07:42 pm »

Personally, I like it but I'm afraid these terms won't be very clear to most players (they won't be clear to me either without the context of this conversation). Melee is a crude term but everyone will know what it means and what weapons it covers.
Wizard1200
Colonist

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2019, 03:23:32 pm »

I guess that 'high velocity impact' and 'low velocity impact' are easier to understand, but they require a lot of room in the text box ... 'Kinetic' would protect against ballistic and melee attacks ... 'Melee' is great  Grin
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 03:30:10 pm by Wizard1200 » Logged
Technomancer
Colonist

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2019, 12:57:37 pm »

I remember that stalker suits had Bulletproof/Firearms protection from guns and Impact/Rupture from kinetic anomalies & monsters melee.
Teleparys
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2019, 02:07:18 am »

Sometimes things shouldn't be overcomplicated. Go with 'melee' and 'firearms'
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2019, 12:47:26 pm »

Agreed. They fit, they're easily recognizable, and I don't understand where the hate is coming from.

contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal:Arbiter's Mark | Stygian
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Encased | ATOM RPG | Realms Beyond | Fell Seal:Missions&Monsters | Urtuk: The Desolation
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: