Question: Which name do you prefer?
Pilgrims of the Void
Colony Ship - a Post-Earth role-playing game
Across the Void
No Home But the Stars
Born Beneath No Sun

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New name, the second poll  (Read 11023 times)
AbounI

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2018, 10:48:14 am »

Of course, as soon as the updated logo is finished.

Nice, but there are here and there some "New World" leftover in the Feats section of the site:
The New World is an isometric, party-based RPG inspired by Heinlein’s Orphans of the Sky.

Then, this whole part is no further needed now ?
Why The New World?

What do people think of when they hear "The New World", absent a video game?

A time when people were migrating in their millions across the Atlantic to the strife and uncertainty of an unknown destination
    People fleeing an awful life of toil for a new almost entirely unknown life, which unbeknownst to them would also be full of toil
    People of all different religions, origins and castes jammed together on the voyage; even rich and poor, otherwise always segregated, shared the same boat
    European pioneers, the migration West, the Mayflower, colonization, it's a package of all the sub-themes

What will people see when they're playing the game?

The passengers of the Ship are headed to a New World
    The Ship itself is a New World, away from Earth for so many generations it might as well be a myth
    The player is like one of those hapless migrants of the five hundred year migration to North America, surrounded by conflicting factions, different religions, philosophies and ideals
    The player is headed for the absolutely unknown in a chaotic, dangerous environment where he must live by violence or his wits
Unless Vince would want to rewrite it when he'll have more free time ?

Also found 1 leftover in the Armory section :
Whereas in the Age of Decadence we had 40 unique weapon models, the New World will offer you over 100 unique weapons, not including minor variations and upgrades.

It could be seen quite unimportant, but for some eventual newcomers unaware of the title changing, they might not understand these leftovers and consider that a bit amateurish  Wink
Nick
Administrator

En Taro Adun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2018, 04:04:14 pm »

Nice find in the Armory section =) I was going to replace the rest when Vince finishes the text.

"Oh, 'twould be marvelous if the world and its moral questions were like some game board, with plain black players and white, and fixed rules, and nary a shade of grey."
The Black Company. Shadows Linger.

"But is the best good enough?"
(c) Oscar
galsiah
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2019, 07:58:10 pm »

Especially some freighter which goes with 0,1% of light speed could be easily outrun by other ships.

In some ways current tech stays similar but mostly because no one cares to change it. Planes' engines actually made a great progress. Just not in the matter of speed but efficiency. Engine designers care most about operating costs because there is the greatest demand for it.
Yeah, this bugged the shit out of me as well. A very large Orion-thermonuclear craft could theoretically be constructed using 1960s tech (though definitely not 1960s infrastructure!) and achieve almost 20% C.

Use a laser sail for acceleration, now you can reserve all your fuel for deceleration and halve your trip time!
~400 years is entirely plausible - it's just not certain. It's clear that it's *theoretically* possible to do better. It's likely we can do better (if we're optimistic about the world not getting self-destructive). Yet it remains plausible that a large ship going at around 1% C is the best we can do for a while.

[Edit: just noticed Ravn7 suggested Issac's stuff last year; good show Ravn7, and do excuse my tardiness on reading more threads Smile]
E.g. at 7 mins 15:

Note the emphasis on *ideally* 10% C, but more practically 1%.
If it happens that we don't come up with workable fusion soon, that's a viable approach - one that gives you an approximately 400 year trip.

LASER propulsion is a wonderful idea - if you trust the situation on earth to remain reliably stable for ~100 years. If you're an optimist, by all means rely on a laser. If you're a pessimist about earth's problems and progress, you might rather have your own fuel supply than an assurance of "Oh don't worry guys, we pinky swear we won't stop pushing you after a few decades".
Of course you could have both - but it's fine to assume that you started out with laser, but it did actually stop pushing after a few decades: perhaps that contributed to the mutiny?

Pessimism similarly explains the lack of worry over being overtaken: certainly you'll be overtaken if everything on earth goes wonderfully for the next few hundred years, and technological progress continues uninterrupted. However, it might not. Sending a relatively low-tech, self-reliant ship is a perfectly reasonable insurance policy against Bad Things happening.

As for gravity, a rotating ship would be nice for that. I haven't seen the graphics - is that not the plan?

In general, I absolutely agree that being consistent with science is a big plus - but the 400 year timescale really isn't an inconsistency. It just requires a few assumptions (plausible ones).

That said, getting a science consultant is actually a pretty good idea. I know Isaac Arthur has done that for games (he's the guy who makes the Science and Futurism videos). Perhaps there's no way to make things entirely fit with known science, but I think it'd be worth it to get a bit of input on exactly where you are/aren't making sense. This kind of thing is squarely in Isaac's wheelhouse, and I imagine he'd be happy to advise (time/money... permitting).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 10:33:38 pm by galsiah » Logged
menyalin
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2019, 02:01:04 am »

In general, I absolutely agree that being consistent with science is a big plus - but the 400 year timescale really isn't an inconsistency. It just requires a few assumptions (plausible ones).
I'd say it is not so few. First, it is 400 years long trip for ship which was build for hardly more then 50 years of operation. Do you know many things with so long operation period? You just can't make something built for 50 years to live for 400 years - it is not just refitting problem, it's something about rebuilding entire hull and main construction elements with new materials. By setting, it is repurposed cargo freighter, so it wasn't built to endure corrosion from inner atmosphere and other constant influences for so long without proper maintenance. And who will make cargo freighter with artificial gravitation system even rotating one?
There enough of such faults on science and tech part, so it just don't make sense to discuss strictly scientifically. It is better then Star Wars and alike - that's good enough. And ITS never announced big attention on science part for the game.
galsiah
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2019, 02:42:53 am »

The gravity would indeed require a bit of a stretch. You'd have to assume there was a significant need for cargo that required gravity - which seems rather unlikely (though possible). [if only the cargo ship crew required gravity, you'd imagine it'd be a very small section of the ship]

Longevity-wise, it just depends on the constraints of the manufacturers, and the properties of the materials. They wouldn't build it to last 8x as long as required, but if the right materials for its other requirements happened to let it last more than 8x as long by luck, no-one would object (deep space is pretty empty too - and internal environments are more predictable [pre-mutiny, at least]).
You also have to consider that they haven't picked the ship at random. Perhaps it's true that 95% of affordable/available cargo vessels wouldn't survive the 400 year journey. In that case you pick one of the 5% that would.

You can make good arguments that such ships are unlikely to be common; you can't make good arguments that none should exist. Perhaps they were highly lucky to find such a suitable ship... or perhaps it's God's hand at work.

I agree that real-world scientific consistency isn't hugely important - just nice-to-have.
The essentials of the setting could make sense with known science - though it might require some tweaks here and there. Perhaps it's a bit late now. My main point isn't that the entire setting makes sense: it's that the 400 year part is one of the most reasonable aspects, scientifically. In particular, when you have a religious group launching the thing, it's fine for it to be a long-shot that it won't get over-taken: you just need faith.
Stellavore
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2019, 06:02:01 pm »

Pilgrims of the void is too edgy
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: