Question: Which name do you prefer?
Pilgrims of the Void
Colony Ship - a Post-Earth role-playing game
Across the Void
No Home But the Stars
Born Beneath No Sun

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New name, the second poll  (Read 8887 times)
Lurker King
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2018, 09:21:34 am »

That's the idea. The name would be just "Colony Ship".

Salute

Look, I get your point that short, easy-to-remember titles do have an edge commercially but the RPG in question is designed to appeal to a certain, niche kind of gamer.
The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that successful cRPGs have short titles: Baldur's Gate, Fallout, Diablo, Jagged Alliance, etc. The most complicated I can think of is "Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura", but that's only because of the subtitle. Or consider "Planescape: Torment", which is weird, but short.  
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 09:23:20 am by Lurker King » Logged
Harry Easter
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2018, 04:56:58 am »

Yes! Short titles are catchier! That's why Colony Ship is catchier (still think Age of Void should also do the job, but eh). In the end, you have to sell a product. And Colony Ship says what this game is about.

God is a lousy dad. He lost at dice and never bailed us out.
Kirov89
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2018, 06:02:43 am »

Well, I think there's already plenty of options to choose from. It's now up to the devs. For what it's worth, if I wanted a poetic title, I'd choose Born Beneath No Sun and if I were to settle for a short and catchy one I'd go for Starfarer. Anyone with half a brain will instantly figure out that it involves a space ship but it's still intriguing. Colony Ship would be more suitable for a space ship simulator, not an RPG aboard one.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 11:53:03 am by Kirov89 » Logged
EAC
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2018, 04:35:19 am »

After reading many creative suggestions here in the forums and over at the codex and voting for "Across the Void", I have to point out that the economically wisest decision is probably to use the recognition factor and to create a series of "Age of..." games. Your colony ship game could be called "Age of Nihilism", as many of the spaceship's inhabitants seem to be affected by nihilism. A game about the inquisition could be called "Age of Heresy" and so on.
daveyd
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2018, 10:30:32 am »

After reading many creative suggestions here in the forums and over at the codex and voting for "Across the Void", I have to point out that the economically wisest decision is probably to use the recognition factor and to create a series of "Age of..." games. Your colony ship game could be called "Age of Nihilism", as many of the spaceship's inhabitants seem to be affected by nihilism. A game about the inquisition could be called "Age of Heresy" and so on.

Yeah, I really like the idea of an "Age of..." franchise of sorts. Age of Heresy would be fine.

I think my original suggestion was "Age of Dissonance" or "Age of Dissidents". but perhaps those sounds a bit too similar to Decadence?  And of course it would have the same acronym.

Or perhaps going with the religious theme: "Age of Providence"?

None of the names in this poll really grab me. I went with Colony Ship because it's the most straight forward.
Ga1us
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2018, 11:29:25 am »

I like "Age of Nihilism"

It may also reflect in the name that, due to that after the Mutiny some history&knowledge was lost, the passangers had developed their own understanding of the world based on what they actually saw around them and thus were defying (or construing as fiction/metaphor) basic modern understanding of laws of physics etc. (like this was in Orphants of the Sky). However I think Vince had written here somewhere that Iron Tower are not going to touch this in the game.

Age of Heresy for the inquisition game is not so attractive;

Age of Dissonance abbreviates the same as Age of Decadence this will cause much confusion so I don't think it's worth it.

Maybe it is also worth considering "Starfarer: a colony ship rpg"?
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2018, 11:36:26 am »

Such a series can easily create an impression that all these games are the same (i.e. more of the same) which isn't a good idea unless the first game is massively successful.
DorkMage
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2018, 09:20:32 pm »

I voted Across the Void...

Game play has nothing to do with colonies so NO: Colony Ship

Nor does game play have anything to do with pilgrims so NO: Pilgrims of the Void

Perhaps "Prisoners of the Void" [frankly very descriptive of game play].

Or "A Generation Ship Gone Wrong"

Just thoughts....
Sparacul
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2018, 06:59:40 am »

Game play has nothing to do with colonies so NO: Colony Ship
Except it does. The whole setting of the game exists in a traveling colony. It is named in a similar vein as was Fallout, in which you do not actually walk around and detoxify nuclear waste.

"A Generation Ship Gone Wrong"
Founding Fathers HATE them - preorder to learn why  Haha, no
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 07:05:27 am by Sparacul » Logged
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2018, 07:34:07 am »

lol
Thoth

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2018, 08:16:45 am »

How about "Shipworld"

Straight to the point.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2018, 06:54:23 pm »

And the winner of 5 combined polls is ...

Kirov89
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2018, 08:53:28 pm »

That... was like hooking up with a hot chick only to find out that she's actually a "he" when undressing.  Wallbang

Oh, what the hell! Name it what you will as long as everything else about it is in order. The bottom line is what matters in the end.
Sparacul
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2018, 12:04:25 am »

Ha-ha, go team colony ship! But that name, of course, means you've got a legacy to uphold.
AndreGAS
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2018, 12:20:41 am »

And the winner of 5 combined polls is ...

Salute
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: