Question: Which name do you prefer?
Pilgrims of the Void
Colony Ship - a Post-Earth role-playing game
Across the Void
No Home But the Stars
Born Beneath No Sun

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New name, the second poll  (Read 11548 times)
menyalin
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2018, 08:38:42 am »

Personally, I expected more scientific accuracy from your game and I would be disappointed if I had buy it and then found out the setting doesn't really make sense in some important aspects.
Why? Just artificial gravitation on the ship with current design will be one big inaccuracy, and there are also force fields (sooo scientific...) and many other things quite bad from hard sci-fi perspective. So, why to be so picky on space travel side? Really, if you approach the concept from a strictly scientific point of view, then there will be allmost nothing left from it.
Harry Easter
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2018, 10:09:35 am »

@Rav7n

Personally, I expected more scientific accuracy from your game and I would be disappointed if I had buy it and then found out the setting doesn't really make sense in some important aspects.

Buddy, this is about a game where thousands of people live in an gigantic spaceship, that could contain big cities. And the ship is an older model, that was used for transportation. I don't think that this would be realistic and costeffective in this world. We have also mutants and three factions that represent gouvermental systems, which I would see more of an philosophical than a real concept.

I don't think expecting realism in a game, that has the scope of Warhammer 40k without psionic powers and crazy demons from the warp. Realistic in it's own universe, but not realistic as in the real world. Real generation ships would be more clustered, more boring and I guess more incestous (Hillbilly Game of Thrones in Space. That would be a title). So just wait and see how it turns out.

God is a lousy dad. He lost at dice and never bailed us out.
NewAgeOfPower
Craftsman

Herp Herp

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2018, 10:24:07 am »

Especially some freighter which goes with 0,1% of light speed could be easily outrun by other ships.

In some ways current tech stays similar but mostly because no one cares to change it. Planes' engines actually made a great progress. Just not in the matter of speed but efficiency. Engine designers care most about operating costs because there is the greatest demand for it.
Yeah, this bugged the shit out of me as well. A very large Orion-thermonuclear craft could theoretically be constructed using 1960s tech (though definitely not 1960s infrastructure!) and achieve almost 20% C.

Use a laser sail for acceleration, now you can reserve all your fuel for deceleration and halve your trip time!

But anyways, I stuck with Iron Tower because of their great RPG mechanics. If their scifi makes me wince a little, I'll smile and overlook the holes in the background setting. After all, its easier with such an amazing foreground.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 10:26:04 am by NewAgeOfPower » Logged
Goral
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2018, 10:45:43 am »

Born Beneath No Sun is kinda nice but it's not getting a lot of votes.
I'm starting to like this title more and more. Democracy is overrated, I would suggest to listen to your colleagues (so Oscar, Nick, etc.), the number of votes should be secondary or lesser.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2018, 11:18:30 am »

I don't think Orphans of the Sky is so popular.
Considering that the game is inspired by Orphans of the Sky using orphans in the title would be going to far.

Proxima Centauri is 4,2 ly. away. And we will achieve higher speeds.
Sure. We can reduce the flight time down to 500 years which will be a huge achievement because today's traveling speed (ignoring all the other issues) is between 80,000 and 6,500 years.

I'm sorry but it's obvious you haven't been reading anything about the science of space travel. A ship in space can use engines that generate low but constant thrust. Which provides it with a constant acceleration. Exactly like ion drives of modern probes. Thus, the longer it goes, the faster it goes. This way it can easily achieve extreme speeds, especially if it can gather fuel on the way. The biggest problem here is interstellar medium, aka space dust, and creating a proper shielding. But the science and technology for that will most certainly evolve. And you could just install more drives and power generators. Speed is not a problem. We could achieve 10% of the speed of light in the next century.
Maybe. Maybe not.

https://www.space.com/41447-parker-solar-probe-fastest-spacecraft-ever.html

"At that point, the spacecraft will be speeding along at a whopping 430,000 mph (692,000 km/h). On Earth, that would be the equivalent of traveling from Washington, D.C., to Tokyo in less than a minute — or from D.C. to Philadelphia in less than a second."

That's the fastest tech we have today - 700,000km/hour. At this speed it would take us 6,500 years to reach Proxima. Of course, a small probe is one thing, a huge ship is another.

NASA could build much faster probes but they don't need to. On the other hand, designing a big interstellar ship would be a completely different thing. They would need tremendous resources which would allow them to make huge progress. It's like going to the Moon. It was a great undertaking for humanity. Without modern computers and almost no technology. But they did it.
Allegedly. But yes, the Moon is a good example. They did it in 1969 and then forgot all about it like it never happened, like it was a trip to some Buttfuck Nowhere that sucked so much that nobody wants to go back there again. 50 years ago. This alone makes me wonder if the landing was staged to force the Soviets to spend billions to acquire space tech that didn't exist.

It's just a matter of one simple thing. Motivation.
And what drives motivation? Profit. Until we figure out how to make money from space exploration, it will remain a vanity side project.

Are you sure you want it to be a redesigned freighter? Then… it means they left Earth in such a hurry they had no time to build a proper colony ship.
Money grows on trees in the future? Who’d launch and most importantly pay for an undertaking that costs so much yet delivers so little? Even if Earth were overpopulated, launching a ship to Proxima Centauri solves zero problems and thus gets zero cash. Thus, it would have to be a private enterprise with a pinch of religious zealotry."

Why do you think Mayflower was an aging cargo ship and not a state of the art passenger ship constructed for this very purpose? Because nobody wanted to invest more than the bare fucking minimum in this venture. Now, that's realism.

Well, there's a good chance you'll be disappointed then.

Also, you could hire a consultant. I know a physicist (his work included astrophysics) in Poland (lower salaries than in US) who likes video games. And scientific accuracy of movies, books and any other stories. I could always ask him if he would be interested. I guess he might if he has some free time. Actually, I can ask him now if he'd be interested in this game and talking on the forums.
The game isn't really about space travel. It's about a giant ant-farm floating through space (i.e. the focus is on people, factions, and conflicts).
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2018, 11:26:56 am »

Especially some freighter which goes with 0,1% of light speed could be easily outrun by other ships.

In some ways current tech stays similar but mostly because no one cares to change it. Planes' engines actually made a great progress. Just not in the matter of speed but efficiency. Engine designers care most about operating costs because there is the greatest demand for it.
Yeah, this bugged the shit out of me as well. A very large Orion-thermonuclear craft could theoretically be constructed using 1960s tech (though definitely not 1960s infrastructure!) and achieve almost 20% C.
Sweet! So why hasn't it been built yet? Why dropping a rover on Mars remains our crowning achievement? We don't even have the capacity to land and take off from Mars, so what space travel and laser sails are we talking about?

Born Beneath No Sun is kinda nice but it's not getting a lot of votes.
I'm starting to like this title more and more. Democracy is overrated, I would suggest to listen to your colleagues (so Oscar, Nick, etc.), the number of votes should be secondary or lesser.
Last I checked, they liked Colony Ship. But yes, Born Beneath No Sun grows on me more and more too.
Wrath of Dagon
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2018, 12:05:32 pm »

Colony ship RPG could be a subtitle for any other title, length may be a problem though. But best to abandon the concept of RPG all together and make Starfarer: The Space Sim.

but it’s just that right now it’s all about games as a service. We can make money out of it, but you can make more money elsewhere.
Kirov89
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2018, 01:42:09 pm »

Born Beneath No Sun <-- Hands down, the best proposal so far! Poetic, original, not too technical, nor too biblical. In other words, spot on!
Sunfire
Archmaster

Veni, vidi, vici

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2018, 02:11:03 am »

agree

The LoRE Team

Community Edition mod

Every plot you take, every bug you make, every script you break, every end you fake, I'll be watching you.
racshasa
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2018, 03:11:24 am »

I`m glad it`s getting more votes now, I literally created an account for this forum to vote for "Born Beneath No Sun", thats how good it is compared to the other proposals. I am still playing the hell out of AoD and am looking forward to this game.
Lurker King
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2018, 07:24:24 am »

Born Beneath No Sun <-- Hands down, the best proposal so far! Poetic, original, not too technical, nor too biblical. In other words, spot on!
Please name one hit that has a poetic title.
Aenra
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2018, 09:26:35 pm »

Voted 'Across the Void', but more importantly, my reasoning:

+ Simple, elegant, leaves it open to interpretation, wondering. Abrreviates nicely, 'ATV' (which coincidentally, happens to be genre-specific too). I like that; and the manchildren do like their abbreviating.

- 'Pilgrims of the Void' is thematically.. better for me, but a) i've read what the game's about (do they still read before checking Steam reviews?), b) i'm not a "gamer". Pilgrims has various connotations, culture depending; muddy grounds. For the "uber" "pwange" generation of morons buying games, it can additionally sound.. "soft"? "Boring"? Not enticing let's say. Lastly, this 'x' of 'y' denomination is becoming rather tiring. A title's the first thing one reads, so why make it tiring.

- The mouthful of 'Colony Ship - a Post-Earth role-playing game' is.. a mouthful. Nine seconds attention span, Facebook and memes era; you're really asking for it.

- The last two titles are a bit too dramatic, which may end up problematic given it's a typical RPG (typical for us anyway.. let's leave it at that). May encourage expectations that will of course not be met, ergo disappointment. Bad enough you won't be able to do everything like in Skyrim. Which is of course the best game ever.

(irrelevant by now, but i did warn you about Amazon's upcoming title, remember? You told me it's "not an issue". uh huh..  Tongue )
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 09:32:17 pm by Aenra » Logged

Pride, honour and purity.
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2018, 10:59:54 pm »

- The mouthful of 'Colony Ship - a Post-Earth role-playing game' is.. a mouthful. Nine seconds attention span, Facebook and memes era; you're really asking for it.

That's the idea. The name would be just "Colony Ship".

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Kirov89
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2018, 12:47:54 am »

Please name one hit that has a poetic title.

Minecraft?  Approve

Look, I get your point that short, easy-to-remember titles do have an edge commercially but the RPG in question is designed to appeal to a certain, niche kind of gamer. And as one of those gamers, I don't think a title like "Rust" would apply here. Sure, one can always argue that the Ship is turning into a giant rusted tin can from overuse, but that would mean grossly oversimplifying things.   
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2018, 07:11:39 am »

(irrelevant by now, but i did warn you about Amazon's upcoming title, remember? You told me it's "not an issue". uh huh..  Tongue )
I doubted that we'd have any trademark dispute with Amazon and we didn't. Back then the details were scarce; we didn't even know if the game was still in development. The decisive factor for us was the release date (2020). Their marketing campaign will drown ours.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: