Poll
Question: Which name do you prefer?
Starfarer
The Journey to Proxima Centauri
The Pilgrims of Earth

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Changing the name of the game, vote inside!  (Read 17912 times)
Ammo
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2018, 10:57:11 pm »

The Pilgrims of Earth

I would go with Lost or Forgotten Pilgrims of Earth or just Pilgrims Lost
MidnightSun
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2018, 11:21:19 pm »

what about simply "Generation Ship" ?
Ergil
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2018, 01:31:23 am »

I remember playing a super early version of a game called Starfarer at one time. Googled it and it appears they renamed it to Starsector for "buisness reasons". http://fractalsoftworks.com/2013/01/04/starsector-0-54-1a-release/ So there might be something fishy with that name too. Mentioning this in case you didn't know already.

Incidentally, the developer(s) of Starsector might be trying to beat AoD's record for longest time spent in development  Tongue
Sunfire
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2018, 02:15:48 am »

None of these.
Kirov89
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2018, 03:54:28 am »

... (kinda like Bethesda buying the Fallout brand and then shitting all over it).

Meanie!!!  lol It's called having a different vision...  Tongue

Ok, how about The Schism? It's adequate as the passengers on the Ship had to break away from Earth to head in another, completely unknown, different direction. And if they do find a new home, they will still be humans, just a very special flavor of them, considering their experiences and the nature of the new planet. Not even the Protectors would be out of place as they uphold the Mission, meaning the goal to stick to the journey, not cling to everything that the Old Earth represented. Even by undertaking the Mission, it's obvious they were willing to leave their old home behind for various reasons, so the fact that they were going to change was indisputable. The thing that rubbed them the wrong way was that a large part of the Ship's population changed before reaching the destination and in a way that threatened the journey.

Additionally, this title would also exhibit religious connotations as the Ship was launched by a Christian organization.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 04:17:55 am by Kirov89 » Logged
cthulhu
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2018, 04:28:23 am »

Of those 3, the last one.

Otherwise how about a Harry Harrison shout-out/rip-off: Captive World ?
Necrolust
Journeyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2018, 04:37:28 am »

To the New World
Pilgrims in (to?) the New World

P.S. Мой английский очень-очень плохой. :) Просто хотелось бы сохранить New World (или World) в названии, хоть название это всего лишь формальность (главное, чтобы игра была хорошая).
Harry Easter
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2018, 04:53:50 am »

Still think Age of Void could work.

- The characters live for Ages in the generation Ship and struggle surviving it.

- People who loved Age of Decadence have something to connect this game with its predecessor.

- Like Age of Decadence it's about an society in turmoil, that is about to change, but they to do it in the cold embraces of changeless space.

- Just sounds cool Grin.

Otherwise I like Pilgrims of Earth, but I don't think it just catches what the game is about. Still catchy though.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 08:28:35 am by Harry Easter » Logged

God is a lousy dad. He lost at dice and never bailed us out.
Olin
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2018, 06:50:25 am »

I would go with The Promised Land

It’s a classic with obvious biblical conotations and it fits the themes of the New World perfectly. It was used by movies but not games as far as I know and I think it cannot be copyrighted.

If not that then no. 3 gets my vote.
EAC
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2018, 06:50:52 am »

The goal of the UN space mission depicted in Alpha Centauri was to leave behind the dark aspects of human nature on Earth. Alpha Centauri told us about the impossibility of that pursuit showing the desperate fight between the colonists separated by different ideologies on the planet surface. The biggest difference between the game Alpha Centauri and the other Civ games was the realistic-cold, pessimistic, non-leftist view on humanity. No linear progression of history or an escalator to an inevitable brighter this-worldly future. The circumstances change from generation to generation but the human nature stays the same despite all efforts. Your game tells us about the events before the landing on the planet's surface and it's story is probably an allegory about the world we live in today.

I think that the name of your game should somehow reflect the inevitable failure of the UN mission's goal and the impossibility to flee from oneself's nature. The name could be derived from an old legend or a greek tragedy, they often tell stories about characters trying to run away from fate.
Essegi
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2018, 07:45:58 am »

Went with 3.
Or:
Starfarer or: how i learned to stop worrying and love the ship.  lol

more seriously my bland suggestions: "Children of Starfarer". Or "Age of Starfarer". Or "Children of a Broken Journey". Tongue
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 07:55:45 am by Essegi » Logged
Necrolust
Journeyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2018, 07:49:06 am »

It’s a classic with obvious biblical conotations and it fits the themes of the New World perfectly. It was used by movies but not games as far as I know and I think it cannot be copyrighted.
"The promised land might be closer than you think."
(click to show/hide)
Harry Easter
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2018, 07:51:43 am »

"The promised land might be closer than you think."
(click to show/hide)

That's ... actually very funny.

I like it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 07:54:04 am by Harry Easter » Logged

God is a lousy dad. He lost at dice and never bailed us out.
EAC
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2018, 08:13:09 am »

The name should reflect the tragedy of the dream to find a brighter future on another world only to create a new world full of the well-known misery.

examples:

"A paradise too far" - I believe that it would be a good name, but there is already a film from 2017 with the same name.

"Reach for the stars" - I'm not sure if it sounds pessimistic enough in English and it's the name of an old video game from 1983.

"Out of a dream" - Everything that's going on on board of the starship is happening due to the forefather's dream.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 08:43:37 am by EAC » Logged
NewAgeOfPower
Craftsman

Herp Herp

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2018, 10:07:11 am »

I prefer "The Gates of Heaven" as well.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: