Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGColony Ship: A Post-Earth Role Playing GameCSG update #27 - State of the Game (the first animations)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: CSG update #27 - State of the Game (the first animations)  (Read 4753 times)
Stellavore
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2018, 07:22:11 pm »

This thread is in very real danger of becoming a comedy thread.

My thoughts: The whole game environment is an abstraction, where an isometric view will inherently bring a level of isolation from pure immersion. As long as animations are distinguishable from one another, and offer some visual flair to add a bit of excitement, they are doing the job of entertaining us gamers, imo. Of course, I personally can appreciate differing levels of visual detail within a virtual environment abstraction, from nethack/doomrl, to fallout 1/2, and into more realistic abstraction vr-immersion like crysis and call of duty.

This leads me to another (unrelated) line of thought, which is sound design. This would be something that I would like to hear about from the developers. To me, good sound design has always pushed the immersion that little bit further; adding a bit of subtle illusion to the imagery, by helping to distinguish one pistol shot from another, a revolver reload from a magazine reload, a hit from a miss, or an armored hit from a fleshy hit. (My vision isn't that good, so sound design has always been huge for me.) Music is also a big, big part of the overall play experience, but I wasn't expecting to hear on that until much later in the dev cycle.

As always, thanks for the great work on this. And, if I should shut up, please have no hesitation in telling me so; I will not take offense.

By that same logic authors shouldnt bother researching the subjects they are writing about because the book is a non-immersive medium. Attention to detail is what makes a masterpiece.
dogwaffler
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2018, 09:58:46 pm »

By that same logic authors shouldnt bother researching the subjects they are writing about because the book is a non-immersive medium. Attention to detail is what makes a masterpiece.

Agreed, but it's in practice prudent to not get too much caught up in minor details; especially given when there's so much work to do and such a limited worker base. This game company and the dev team do have a very real money and time budget to deal with, so sweating too many minor details can result in a rushed end phase or dead project altogether (not to mention burnt out artists or contributors).

Something like a wonky firearm actuation animation is really not worth spending too much time and attention on, for example. They're important, and a big part of immersion, but you don't want to run your artists into the ground on it when there is so, so much more work to be done. Of course it's a good idea to get the fundamentals of motion right early on, which is why projects like king kong 1933 are so lasting in scope.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 11:56:43 pm by dogwaffler » Logged
racshasa
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2018, 03:26:12 am »

Hi,

I`m afraid you might be too far into the final design of your animations, but I want to put one thing out there that ALWAYS bothers me with ALL games: Pulling out the weapons (& putting them back). Why do characters in isometric RPGs always walk around with their weapon in hand like a moron? Especially if it is a handgun. A good animation of my guy actually drawing the gun and then shooting would be much more important to me than how realistic the shooting animation is exactly. If these would be different when wounded... omg  Salute

MW2014
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2018, 08:12:01 am »

Hi,

I`m afraid you might be too far into the final design of your animations, but I want to put one thing out there that ALWAYS bothers me with ALL games: Pulling out the weapons (& putting them back). Why do characters in isometric RPGs always walk around with their weapon in hand like a moron? Especially if it is a handgun. A good animation of my guy actually drawing the gun and then shooting would be much more important to me than how realistic the shooting animation is exactly. If these would be different when wounded... omg  Salute

It's mainly a resource constraint. Most isometric RPGs are made by relatively small companies, so we can't expect them to care about every detail of animation.

I agree that handguns should be discharged using both hands, but it's not something that I would lose my sleep over. There are more important things in this game, such as quest design, choices & consequences, replayability etc.
The AoD was not the prettiest game, but its atmosphere was phenomenal, thanks to a great writing, amazing replayability, awesome music and a sort of 'soul' (even though I don't believe in souls).
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 08:13:41 am by MW2014 » Logged
icelandichard
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2018, 10:19:10 am »

Looks great at any size! Did Ivan use mocap on someone actually firing a pistol?

Mocap, but using his acting skills, not firing anything =)

Wow. Have you used motion capture? If so what kind of?

We currently use Perception Neuron, if I remember the name correctly:
https://neuronmocap.com/

Thanks for the link.
John Yossarian

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2018, 06:41:15 am »

Plenty of gangbangers in The Wire shooting one handed. The smarter ones did use two hands when target was somewhat far away though.
So maybe the game could have something like that, where badly trained fighters use the shitty stance for normal attack, and better ones use the same animation, or slightly modified, for aimed and normal.
Resource permitting, of course.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: