Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trouble starting Dead State  (Read 566 times)
ApproachingZero
Neophyte

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2018, 07:09:32 am »

Hello,

i have a problem with starting Dead State Reanimated - Steam version.
The identical problem as here (http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=7090.0)
Since there is no solution, or at least none that i could find, i decided to open a new topic.

The game is installed and whenever you hit the 'Play' button the state changes to 'Running', and after a few seconds 'Running' disappears (like you never pressed 'Play' button).

I have noticed that 'Dead State' directory is missing from Documents/my games/ (dunno if it's supposed to be there in Windows 10).
Also there is no prefs.cs in the instalation directory.

Things i have tried:
 1. Compatibility mode (Win 7, Win 8, and all others)
 2. Reinstalling the game
 3. Verifying the integrity of game files
 4. Experimental build
 5. Reinstalling Visual c++ redistributable
 6. Updating graphics drivers
 7. Manualy creating Dead State dir in Documents/my games and putting perfs.cs there (copied from another installation)
 8. Doing the same thing but in the install dir (Steam)
 9. Creating VM in VMware Workstation 12 (running Win 7), installing Steam, downloading and installing Dead State ... SUCCESS
      Default location of perfs.cs is under Steam dir (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Dead State\)

I do not plan nor i wish to run the game in the VM. That is not the solution.
This PC is my only Windows machine. The old one, on wich Dead State has run without the problems has become a radius server running Slackware, and other machines are either UNIX or Linux servers. I can't test the installation/files on that machine anymore.

Unfortunately can't provide any log files because they do not exist.
Would debug in x64dbg, but there is no running process so ...

Attached files are from my 'main' machine and also from the VM (crash reports on my 'main' do not exist and in VM dir is empty).

Specs:
OS - Windows 10 Pro x64
MBO - ASUS Rog Zenith Extreme
CPU - AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
GPU - Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws 4, PC-19200 64 GB

Really appriciate any help that you can provide.
Thank you in advance.

Regards,
ApproachingZero

* main-DxDiag.txt (88.01 KB - downloaded 15 times.)
* vm-DxDiag.txt (30.97 KB - downloaded 15 times.)

* main-game_dir.png (9.12 KB, 380x362 - viewed 22 times.)

* vm-game_dir.png (9.92 KB, 262x449 - viewed 22 times.)
DrunkZombie

You gotta live before you die!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 08:22:00 pm »

A few other possibilities.

Make sure Steam Beta is off.

Another person with the directory missing found that turning off any graphic card overclocking software worked for them.

If the directory finally shows but it still will not start, you can try the following.

After you make sure it is in Win 7 compatibity mode and use the experimental build, try modifying the pref.cs in Documents/My Games/Dead State using notepad.

Change the $pref::Video::mode line to
$pref::Video::mode = "1024 768 true 32 60 0";

Then save it and try to start the game

You can change the resolution to something you prefer in the game's options menu later.

It may take a couple of minutes for the game to start while the grey box is up.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 08:26:01 pm by DrunkZombie » Logged

Playing DS on my laptop.
8 gb ram
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250M
Driver Version: 9.18.13.3489, DirectX version: 11.0, Display Memory: 2729 MB
Realtek High Definition Audio, Driver 6.00.0001.5951
Game Settings: Resolution: 1024 x 768, Refresh 60, Fullscreen On, Anti-aliasing Off, Mesh High, Texture High, Shader High, Lighting High
Direct sound, Speakers (Realtek)
ApproachingZero
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 04:12:19 am »

Steam beta is off.
No graphics card overclocking software is running.
Directory does not come up.

Directory Dead State in the virtual machine is also missing from Documents/my games, but the game starts fine.
Virtual machine Dead State perfs.cs is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Dead State\ (so it should run without Documents/my games dir on my main).

It seems that for some reason ZRPG.exe is crashing (check the attachements).
Again, under virtual machine is starting and running normally.

EDIT: some minor text errors

* dead_state-error.png (5.18 KB, 735x87 - viewed 30 times.)

* dead_state-error_details.png (23.95 KB, 1838x464 - viewed 38 times.)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 04:15:12 am by ApproachingZero » Logged
DrunkZombie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 08:41:11 pm »

One of the causes of that exception code could be a directx problem.  Since your vm has directx 11 and your main install has 12, that could be a possibility. I think the experimental build is supposed to take care of windows 10 and directx12 issues though.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 08:47:54 pm by DrunkZombie » Logged

Playing DS on my laptop.
8 gb ram
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
Game Settings: Resolution: 1024 x 768, Refresh 60, Fullscreen On, Anti-aliasing Off, Mesh High, Texture High, Shader High, Lighting High
ApproachingZero
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 06:25:36 am »

Experimental build did not solve the issue.
Entered blacksheepwall code, and selected public_test.
Everything stayed the same. Game does not run.

The exception code is an access violation code (r/w, pointers, arrays, whatnot).
Since there is no crash dump file, and i'm not into that stuff i can't give more info about that.

Tried to force it to run on another version of directx with "SET LAUNCH OPTIONS" in Steam. Did not hope to make any progress, but still one more thing off the check list.
Commands used:
-force-d3d9
-dxlevel 90

Then i tried to force it with dxcpl.exe. Bummer ...
Finally i used DXwnd with hook option. No avail.

Kinda stuck now Sad
DrunkZombie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 07:00:55 pm »

This one is stumping me.  I will try to get a hold of Nick, one of the devs.  He might be able to help.

Playing DS on my laptop.
8 gb ram
Nick
Administrator

En Taro Adun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 10:35:27 am »

Both the absence of console.log and no option to send a crash report are signs that the game doesn't even launch, as logging and crash reporting systems are first to initialize, before anything else really. So I'm pretty sure it's system or hardware issue, i.e. something before game code execution, an area where I can be most helpful.
Looks like a lot of options have been tried already. How about 3rd party software that has privileges to terminate the process, like antivirus? Drivers? That could be a critical difference that allows VM to run it. If you restart Windows in safe mode, would result in successful DS launch?

"Oh, 'twould be marvelous if the world and its moral questions were like some game board, with plain black players and white, and fixed rules, and nary a shade of grey."
The Black Company. Shadows Linger.

"But is the best good enough?"
(c) Oscar
ApproachingZero
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 01:27:02 am »

I apologize for not replying sooner; i have been quite busy, long working hours and could not force myself to do any kind of research/troubleshooting.

As for the safe mode... rebooted the machine in the safe mode, tried to launch the game. Unfortunately, game does not start.
Still no logs or crash reports of any kind in game directory.

Did some digging, and found a couple of things (attached files).
Dunno where to look for some more additional information since i don't feel comfortable with Windows logging system.

* Report.wer (13.64 KB - downloaded 9 times.)
* error_details-copy.txt (1.85 KB - downloaded 8 times.)
* information_details-copy.txt (2.58 KB - downloaded 9 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: