Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGColony Ship: A Post-Earth Role Playing GameTaking Care of Business, now with afterword by Feargus Urquhart
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Taking Care of Business, now with afterword by Feargus Urquhart  (Read 27927 times)
dmonin
Neophyte

I've done..questionable things...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2018, 11:28:38 am »

Thank you Vince. It's really interesting information. And I really surprised that RF is the second market for RPG's. Thats really cool. But I can't understand - percents of steam and gog doesn't included? If it not a secret, of course.

P.S.: But anyway Shadowrun sequels are selling good... Over 500K not all games can make such sales.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 11:33:36 am by dmonin » Logged

Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2018, 12:12:00 pm »

Thank you Vince. It's really interesting information. And I really surprised that RF is the second market for RPG's. Thats really cool. But I can't understand - percents of steam and gog doesn't included? If it not a secret, of course.
I'm not sure what we can and can't disclose, so I'd rather stick to the overall numbers that include Steam, GOG, GamersGate, and direct sales.

P.S.: But anyway Shadowrun sequels are selling good... Over 500K not all games can make such sales.
True but it also depends on the size of your company. For example, Shadow Tactics sold 421,828 ± 20,493 which would have been a spectacular success for us but it nearly bankrupted them.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/310894/Postmortem_Mimimis_Shadow_Tactics_Blades_of_the_Shogun.php

"As stated above, the launch of Shadow Tactics was a dream come true: we made a successful game with better ratings than ever expected.

Also, two follow-up projects were canceled shortly before the game’s release, we were nearly bankrupt and half the team, including some of our earliest team members, had already received their termination to ensure that we could finish the console version with the money left and a minimal work force.

While the “all in”-success-story probably sounded romantic in some way, it was an absolutely awful experience. And we had predicted it: by adding four more months to the project, the game became much better, but all our savings were gone. When we realized that our backup plans for new projects didn’t work out as planned, we knew we were screwed. Because we exclusively focused on Shadow Tactics, we didn’t invest in any new pitches and had nearly nothing to offer to new partners. On top of that, they understandably waited for the release and the first weeks of SteamSpy data before they wanted to sign a project.

That left us in a horrible spot to be in: the whole team walking onto the stage in front of the whole German games industry, winning awards, being happy and at the same time knowing that it might be the last month of the studio.

Part luck, part delivering a decent game, we had been able to talk to publishers after the release and none of them took advantage of our situation or tried to rip us off with a bad deal. Negotiations that normally can take up months went through quickly and fair. In the end we surprisingly had to choose between projects, all of which we’d wholeheartedly loved to develop. I vividly remember being on the train on December 23rd, the very day before Christmas, and writing the final email to the team, letting them know that the contract had finally been signed and we were safe for the time being."
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2018, 08:31:17 pm »

These kinds of hanging-by-fingernails stories, the layoffs, brutally long hours, and uncertain futures really tell you that the games industry as a whole is a truly awful place to work.

contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal:Arbiter's Mark
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Stygian:Reign of the Old Ones | Encased | ATOM RPG
energyecon
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2018, 10:39:53 pm »

Thanks for the phenomenally detailed information - loved AoD, DS, & DR - all in for whatever Iron Tower brings to market and best of luck.
Spyros
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2018, 05:00:51 am »

Some thoughts on why, if you want a software company, it should not be a game company (Patrick writes a lot for software engineers who would like to become businessmen):

https://twitter.com/patio11/status/933606709464985600
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2018, 04:15:12 pm »

He isn't wrong, of course, but making games was never about making money. You make games because that's your passion. Essentially, either you do what you love or you do what pays well. I was really good at managing sales but I was more afraid of doing it for the rest of my life than of trying this game development thing and failing a couple of years down the road.
Sparacul
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2018, 12:03:23 pm »

We ran it by GOG, they liked it.
Do they really care though? I think they will like everything that is not offensive/uncensored.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2018, 01:54:51 pm »

Well, the nature of the reply did indicate that they considered it (i.e. it wasn't "yeah, sure, cool, whatever" but a thoughtful reply).
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2018, 06:04:22 am »

Very interesting.

About sequels not making as much as the original game - it may be (in part) because they were released later and steam sales seem to be worse across the board (unless you're a viral hit like PUBG). Which may be related to the increasing glut of games being released on Steam.

But yeah, even in the best of times, I suspect that a new game is more exciting than a known quality like a sequel or an expansion, regardless, and thus has more potential sales.

I know that, for System Crash, I hesitate on making sequels/expansions because, even though I'd love to grow the game further, the base game is not yet profitable, and as you say, an expansion would probably only achieve 30% of the sales figures. But I'm resolved to make one expansion just to get the data point. Maybe I'm wrong and it will be a worthwhile venture.

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
SuperElement
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2018, 01:10:24 am »

For what it's worth I was very undecided on buying AoD despite knowing about it for as long as two or three years before I finally bought it. I was conflicted because each time I looked at it considering purchasing it, I immediately turned to the reviews, which often have people complaining about merciless checks and being unable to access a lot of content without min-maxing.

After I finally hankered down and bought it on sale, I fell in love with it. The reviews that scared me away at first were wrong, but they're still there. There are multiple branching paths, and you literally cannot experience every part of the game in one playthrough. I think the issue is that these people come from a game like Skyrim or Fable where your choices are limited to one reward or another from a quest, unlike old Fallout or any branching story RPG in which whole situations in the game are mutually exclusive for one reason or another. It's not a casual game, but it's an excellent RPG, for people who like cRPGs.

Now that I understand why I enjoy the game and why the reviews were a poor indicator of the game I've left a review that I hope may dispel the doubts others may have had like myself. It is an indie game though, and like as was mentioned the game has run its course for the larger chunk of its revenue.

On a small note though, I wish more creators of things I enjoyed had a means of patronage. Though the audience for such is often small, I wouldn't mind donating. Especially when I'm often too late for kickstarters and other campaigns.
Wrath of Dagon
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2018, 02:40:28 pm »

If you want to donate to ITS, you can just buy another copy or several directly from them: http://irontowerstudio.com/age-of-decadence-buy-now

Secondly--MURDER? Merely because I had planned the duel and provoked the quarrel! Never had I heard anything so preposterous.
SuperElement
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2018, 08:16:31 am »

If you want to donate to ITS, you can just buy another copy or several directly from them: http://irontowerstudio.com/age-of-decadence-buy-now

Actually a pretty good point, as a direct sale does ITS get the full proceeds (aside from transaction processing)? I could buy it several times then, aside from buying it for some friends who'll want it on Steam.
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2018, 03:21:51 pm »

Actually a pretty good point, as a direct sale does ITS get the full proceeds (aside from transaction processing)? I could buy it several times then, aside from buying it for some friends who'll want it on Steam.

Yeah, but if your friends like it their positive reviews won't count, which as this point is something harder to get. Many people that are on the fence wait until a sale to buy the game and when they don't like it they leave a negative review.

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Sunfire
Archmaster

Veni, vidi, vici

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2018, 06:46:38 am »

The only conclusion here is that some countries like hardcore RPGs a lot more than others. Sadly, it has a very limited application as there isn’t much we can do about it, one way or another. It's worth noting that even though Russia is our second biggest market in terms of copies sold, the revenue share is only 5.2% due to regional pricing.
That's 'cause of PC platform is dominating in Russian video games' market over all others, while an average income of such gamers is rather low. And Russian video gamers likes hardcore RPGs so much.

The LoRE Team

Community Edition mod

Every plot you take, every bug you make, every script you break, every end you fake, I'll be watching you.
AbounI

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2018, 10:09:37 am »

Is there something you can do for the positive reviews from those who get a steam key while they got it for free after a BMT support ? Many from this option are the longtime fans of your game(s), but if Steam doesn't take in account their reviews, it's unfair I guess.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 10:25:34 am by AbounI » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: