Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGRPG DiscussionWhen Old Met Skool: Knights of the Chalice
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: When Old Met Skool: Knights of the Chalice  (Read 23878 times)
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2009, 04:03:23 pm »

Steady stream of improvements in every update.  The font is so nice now, I play at the higher resolution.

Only confirmed purchasers can get updates, BTW.  It's bundled with paying for the game.

[attachment deleted to save space]

contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal:Arbiter's Mark
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Stygian:Reign of the Old Ones | Encased | ATOM RPG | Sin Slayers
Anonxeuix

Malteser.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2009, 04:11:14 pm »

Woah the font's perfect now. I may buy it after all.

"I don't take drugs: I am drugs." - Salvador Dali
erbgor

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2009, 07:35:00 am »

Only confirmed purchasers can get updates, BTW.  It's bundled with paying for the game.

In case anyone else was confused by this, there is an updated demo:

http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/Download.htm

Just what is so great and serious about videogames that videogame journalists should be fighters for truth, rather than purely promotional devices for a niche hobby (which is what they were meant to be).?
thomasc
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2009, 08:21:34 am »

Nice, the new font is MUCH more pleasing to the eyes!
Still looks pretty terrible.
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2009, 01:34:28 pm »

Nice, the new font is MUCH more pleasing to the eyes!
Still looks pretty terrible.

It may not be beautiful, but at least my head doesn't hurt while reading them.

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Sodomy
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2009, 10:48:30 pm »

Just finished the game tonight (aside from the "optional" fight after beating the main quest).  A few thoughts, aside from those expressed previously:

(note that if you have not finished the game, stop reading here, as this has endgame spoilers aplenty)

1.  The fight with the red dragon + hordes of humans should have been the final battle.  True, it wasn't as hard as the babaus + mummies + lich fight, but it was a much more "epic" and climactic fight, and it was a fight that was far more signifcant to the storyline.  The lich fight is just some little epilogue about saving the princess; that red dragon is the real big bad who you chase through the whole game. 

2.  Speaking of that final Lich battle, holy shit, that was fucking retarded.  Insanely difficult, but in a bad way; over all of my attempts, over half of them wound up with my party getting TPK'd before I got a chance to act (you're on the wrong end of a surprise round for this one).  The entire fight is nothing but "who makes their saves" and hoping that the AI decides not to send a mummy to cast Freedom of Movement on the Lich once you have him grappled.  It's a perfect example of what's wrong with high level D&D; since there are so many "save or you're fucked" spells, it becomes a simple (and tedious) matter of who fails their saves.  The red dragon battle got around this by making the fight relatively slow to heat up (giving the party time to apply things like Death Ward) and by having only one major "save or fuck you" effect (the Red Dragon's Greater Disintigrate), and just overwhelming the player through numbers and an opponent with an insane AC/BAB/amount of HPs, but there's no such luck against the Lich.  BTW, did it bother anyone else that of the three Liches you fight in the game, you only destroy the Phylactery of one of them?  It's like the adventurers don't care if it comes right back to life, as long as they get their precious XP and loot.
Fezzik
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2009, 12:03:14 am »

So far as 2. goes,
(click to show/hide)
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2009, 06:02:45 pm »

My interview with the lead developer is now up at RPGWatch.

contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal:Arbiter's Mark
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Stygian:Reign of the Old Ones | Encased | ATOM RPG | Sin Slayers
suibhne
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2009, 07:02:35 pm »

Great interview. That guy really gets it.
Plalito
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2009, 08:27:25 pm »

Good interview, I definitely plan to try out the game. It's also nice to see that the release was relatively successful, I'm curious to see what direction he goes in future projects.
Fosse
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2009, 03:19:21 pm »

I took a few weeks off, then got back into this a day or two ago.  I'm at the final battle, back at the Knights' Keep, and it just seems HARD.

IF my cleric rolls a high enough initiative to cast Mass Death Ward before slaying arrows wipe out the whole party, I might get to the third turn.  Maybe.

I'll probably devote another hour to a reload fest on this battle before abandoning it as a Wallbang

Up until this encounter the game was a blast.  A complete joy to play, even if it did feel mostly too easy aside from a few great boss fights.  While some of those boss encounters were very difficult, and required some reloading and a bit of luck, they were mostly won by trying out better or more creative tactics or, once or twice, leaving to come back when stronger.  In this case all of my changing tactics get me to the third or fourth turn -- with a LOT of luck -- before the party is completely wiped out.  Ugh.
crpgnut
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2009, 02:10:52 pm »

That last battle is just to see how "bad" you really are. The key to the fight seems to be domination. If you can dominate the greater Balors near your party and the Vrock, they'll easily wipe the field with the rest of the army. It's still key to win initiative. If the cleric doesn't fire off the mass death ward, it's going to be a short battle.
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2009, 01:49:32 pm »

KotC is my choice for Game of the Year.  Looking back on a downright bleak year for RPGs, the games that held my interest right up to the end were King's Bounty, Elven Legacy, and KotC... none of which are RPGs.  I guess I'm a sucker for turn-based strategy.  I would like to play a solid RPG with turn-based combat, but those are about as common as something really uncommon.

Risen I really enjoyed for a bit, but after Chaper 1 (!) it seems to turn into a NWN-style go-find-the-widget trudge-fest.  (Amazing how every pair of lizard men you meet are carrying a teleport stone, and always a different one!)  I might go back to it, but I might not seeing as all indications are it doesn't ever get any better.  KotC on the other hand I've played for hours and hours and still enjoy firing up for some tactical slaughter, even though D&D is about my least favourite ruleset for a computer game.

And all this from a single programmer with a little art help!

From the sounds of it the sequel is going to be even better.  (fingers crossed for Myconid player race!)

Jedi_Learner
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2010, 01:48:33 am »

I tried the demo about a week ago, couldn't save. Thinking the demo was bugged, I downloaded a different version of the demo and now could save. Strange.

Anyway, I found the demo appealing from the graphics to the sound. Thing I hated most was the underground area with the Lich. Being dead before I could do anything is not my idea of fun. Are most of the fights from the game like this, especially towards the end? Just luck?

I'd like to take a moment here and address the issue of expectations. There is nothing revolutionary or evolutionary about AoD. I hope it will be a good game, nothing else.
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2010, 02:02:38 am »

No, not really. There are some that are like that, but good tactics can give you an edge. Speaking of which, I should try that optional fight in the demo.

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: