Iron Tower Studio ForumsOtherThe Reading LoungeThe Book of Dust by Phillip Pullman
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Book of Dust by Phillip Pullman  (Read 7732 times)
sporky
Artisan

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2017, 11:16:29 am »

If anybody on here liked the dark materials series, have a look at the new one. I just finished it and was really happy with it. I hope he gets the next couple out in a timely manner!

People were always getting ready for tomorrow. I didn't believe in that. Tomorrow wasn't getting ready for them. It didn't even know they were there.
CORMAC MCCARTHY, The Road
Max Roguespierre
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 01:19:14 am »

If anybody on here liked the dark materials series, have a look at the new one. I just finished it and was really happy with it. I hope he gets the next couple out in a timely manner!

I very much appreciated Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. Though it has frequently been compared to The Chronicles of Narnia, I find it to be the opposite of that series in tone, content and context.

While I have heard something about a new trilogy, I was unaware that the first volume had been published.

Thank you.

I know not what life is, nor death.
Year in year out-all but a dream.
Both Heaven and Hell are left behind;
I stand in the moonlit dawn,
Free from clouds of attachment.
sporky
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 10:05:24 pm »

No problem, I hope you like it. There's an unabridged graphic novel of golden I just picked up that's pretty good as well.

I read that Pullman had written the series as a counterpoint to the Narnia books.

People were always getting ready for tomorrow. I didn't believe in that. Tomorrow wasn't getting ready for them. It didn't even know they were there.
SuperElement
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 11:49:36 pm »

I finished reading La Belle Sauvage and realised all too late that it was the first book in a trilogy and was only published last year. Yet another unfinished set of books to wait upon in pain.  Sad

Good book though, I enjoyed it. Some of the themes remind me of Jonathon Stroud's "The Amulet of Samarkand", thought it a largely different setting despite a similar locale. I realise I haven't read the rest of that trilogy though, which I will have to take upon myself. Dark Materials is good, then?
sporky
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 02:20:39 pm »

I definitely think so. It's one of my favorite series. Plus you can get all three all at once so you won't have to wait!

Timeline wise, the Belle sauvage takes place before the dark materials trilogy, and the next in that series will take place after the DM trilogy so you're in good shape.

Yayoumee
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 03:05:59 am »

I very much appreciated Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. Though it has frequently been compared to The Chronicles of Narnia, I find it to be the opposite of that series in tone, content and context.

While I have heard something about a new trilogy, I was unaware that the first volume had been published.

Thank you.
This review is the best.

sporky
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 03:04:52 pm »

Oh, and the BBC/HBO are doing a dark materials series and spending game of thrones money on it, with the girl from Logan as Lyra!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: