Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGRPG DiscussionDead Monarchy - Medieval | Turn-Based | Mass-Tactics | Survival-Simulator | RPG
Pages: 1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dead Monarchy - Medieval | Turn-Based | Mass-Tactics | Survival-Simulator | RPG  (Read 26505 times)
Bantichai
Novice

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2017, 04:25:40 am »

Hi guys,

I'm Kevin and I'm a long time fan of AOD. After having put more than 100 hours into the game, the one thing I loved the most is its combat. I am creating my own turn-based tactical game inspired by XCOM and Battle Brothers. If you guys are interested, please have a look at my youtube video, it is showing some very early footage. My website and forums will be up in a couple of days too Smile

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 02:27:44 am by Bantichai » Logged
Vahha
Testers

S:6 D:10 C:8 P:8 I:9 Ch:4 Sp 7 D 8 CS 7 Cr 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 04:37:40 am »

Looks great, also similar to AoD graphics-wise.

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”

― George Orwell, 1984
Bantichai
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 05:29:20 am »

Looks great, also similar to AoD graphics-wise.

Thank you for the positive feedback!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 02:29:50 am by Bantichai » Logged
Sunfire
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 06:19:04 am »

Looks good, but transparent pop-up modifiers window would fit better Wink
Also, no flank/back modifiers?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 06:31:38 am by Sunfire » Logged
Bantichai
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 07:15:03 am »

Looks good, but transparent pop-up modifiers window would fit better Wink
Also, no flank/back modifiers?

Thanks for the feedback! The user interface is definitely still WIP, I have been toying with some transparent UI elements. There are definitely flanking modifiers, but once again it has yet to be properly conveyed in the UI. Currently the UI will only display a bonus to THC, but there are no text notifications indicating the player that a unit is flanked. The small things like shifting and focusing cameras are still in the process of being implemented. Things like cell/grid highlights for active units are in the process of being done as well. A lot more polish to come Smile

Flanking modifiers not only influenced THC for melee, but also range THC and critical chance as well. Units will rotate once struck, so you can set up double flanks Tongue
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 02:30:01 am by Bantichai » Logged
Nick
Administrator

En Taro Adun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 11:53:08 am »

Hi, looks nice, and I definitely get that AoD vibe from graphics and attacks =)

I see you have some rather large-scale battles, maybe it's worth considering simultaneous movement turn for enemies, something like we did in Dead State for zombies. It requires a bit trickier pathfinding, but saves a lot of time for player.

"But is the best good enough?"
Oscar
Vahha
Testers

S:6 D:10 C:8 P:8 I:9 Ch:4 Sp 7 D 8 CS 7 Cr 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 12:38:31 pm »

Mb just introduce the option to instantly skip movement animation.

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”

― George Orwell, 1984
Bantichai
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 07:16:01 pm »

Hi, looks nice, and I definitely get that AoD vibe from graphics and attacks =)

I see you have some rather large-scale battles, maybe it's worth considering simultaneous movement turn for enemies, something like we did in Dead State for zombies. It requires a bit trickier pathfinding, but saves a lot of time for player.

AoD did definitely have a subconscious effect when I decided on the art style! That is a good suggestion, after playing Dead State for over 100+ hours, I did appreciate that Smile
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 02:30:12 am by Bantichai » Logged
Bantichai
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 07:17:08 pm »

Mb just introduce the option to instantly skip movement animation.

I will be implementing a way to speed up animations. Things like turn order UI has yet to be implemented either, that will come in due time Smile
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 02:31:43 am by Bantichai » Logged
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 10:49:07 am »

Looks good. My advice would be that when you implement faster animations, make the default much faster than the one in the videos. This is what happened when we posted our slow animation combat video:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2007/12/28/the-age-of-decadence-trailer/

Vince managed to turn it into our favor later, but you should definitely make a faster default.

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Bantichai
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 09:01:58 pm »

Looks good. My advice would be that when you implement faster animations, make the default much faster than the one in the videos. This is what happened when we posted our slow animation combat video:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2007/12/28/the-age-of-decadence-trailer/

Vince managed to turn it into our favor later, but you should definitely make a faster default.

Hi Oscar! Yes I definitely do agree on speeding up the animations, considering that some battles will be quite large even as a player myself I'd get bored. In a couple of weeks, I'll be uploading a few more videos explaining the actual combat, it will be voiced as well. I'm currently looking into options for faster default animation/combat speed and a manual/controlled way to speed up animations during combat.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 02:30:30 am by Bantichai » Logged
Nick
Administrator

En Taro Adun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 09:32:47 am »

Cool, keep us posted =)

Oscar
Bantichai
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 09:55:53 pm »

Hey everyone, just a quick update today and a small one too. It's seemingly pointless, it mainly just demonstrates NPC pathfinding. I've been working on this in between the bigger update to combat which I aim to implement by the end of this month.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 02:30:39 am by Bantichai » Logged
Bantichai
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 09:56:19 pm »

Cool, keep us posted =)

Of course Smile
Nick
Administrator

En Taro Adun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 07:13:46 am »

Music and fog create really nice atmosphere. Looking forward to see the final and detailed version of this location.

Oscar
Pages: 1 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: