Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: CSG update #14 - Gadgets & Grenades  (Read 14698 times)
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2017, 01:08:34 pm »

As mentioned in the previous updates, the gadgets and grenades will be used extensively, so let’s take an early look to gather feedback and suggestions.

Originally we planned to go with 10-12 gadgets but after some considerations we turned some gadgets into grenades and stimulants (i.e. turned them into ‘while supplies last’ items), so here are the semi-final categories:

• Gadgets aka upgradeable Earth-made tactical devices
  • Earth-made (i.e. high tech) grenades
  • Ship-made (i.e. low tech) grenades
  • Earth-made combat stimulants

Gadgets:

Energy Shield -  generates a shield acting as cover (this way you don’t need to look for cover but can create it yourself); the shield absorbs X damage per attack until depleted, so the stats are:
- damage absorbed
- shield’s HP
- recharge rate

Reality Distortion Field – deflects projectiles, making much harder to hit you (i.e. THC penalty)
- THC penalty
- chance to deflect projectiles
- duration (number of turns)

Hologram Projector aka DnD Simulacrum aka that thing Arnold used in Total Recall – creates a copy of your character, drawing enemy’s fire. Since even today we have small plasma holograms you can interact with, it’s safe to assume that in the future this tech will be a lot more advanced so…
- # of copies
- THC penalty against the copies (distortion field around them)
- copies’ HP

Cloaking Field – makes you very hard to detect
- chance that a guard won't see you if you're in his line of sight
- defense against electronic detection systems (rank-based)
- duration

Basically, the bunker (energy shield), commando (disruption field; for characters who have strong offensive (high rate of fire, high crits, etc) as when the effect wears off if you're still surrounded by enemies, you're dead), confusion (hologram projector, works best with grenades), ninja-assassin.

Only one gadget can be active at a time but you can activate a different gadget at any time. Keep in mind that activating a gadget will drain its power cell and you’ll have to recharge it which is costly, so you won’t be able to use all gadgets in every single fight. You will be able to upgrade your gadgets by acquiring higher quality power cells, emitters, pulsers, disruptors, reflectors, etc.

Earth-made Grenades (rare; ace up your sleeve type item, save it for when you really need them like that mine fight in AoD):

- Stasis Field – holds enemies within a certain area, they can’t be harmed while in stasis so it’s a divide & conquer thing.
- Brainwave Disruptor – affects the mental state of an enemy, check against CON and INT, the effects range from doing nothing to going berserk XCOM style
- Pulse Grenade - disables all active gadgets in a certain area and does damage to droids

Ship-made Grenades (common and readily available)

- Gas grenades (poison damage per turn, negated by gas masks)
- Flashbang grenades (disorients enemies for 1 turn, PER penalties, negated by combat goggles)
- Smoke grenades (conceals, THC penalties and reduces range for firearms, great for melee fighters, negated by thermal goggles)

Combat Stimulants

- Rapid Cellular Regenerator – restores HP per turn (the only form of healing in combat)
- Motor Cortex Enhancer – same as AoD’s neurostimulant, extra AP per turn, limited duration
- Neurotransmitter – similar to AoD’s berserk

^ Energy Shield

^ Upgrade mockup

Plus some location art:

^ previously mentioned arena aka the Courthouse

^ A safe route through the Factory

As always your comments and suggestions are welcome.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 09:53:25 am by Vince » Logged
NewAgeOfPower
Craftsman

Herp Herp

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 04:09:47 pm »

So the Distortion Field is doubly effective vs projectile weaponry?

Hmm. For maximal simulationism, the energy shield should not work on grenades tossed through the field, though it should reduce the THC of any grenade passing through it.

Might be way too much for the scope of this game though.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 06:50:46 am »

So the Distortion Field is doubly effective vs projectile weaponry?
Yes.

Hmm. For maximal simulationism, the energy shield should not work on grenades tossed through the field, though it should reduce the THC of any grenade passing through it.
There are no explosive grenades and the shield won't stop a poison gas or a flash of light.
Sunfire
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 07:44:12 am »

Hmm... Seems like I've just found some typo  Roll Eyes
(click to show/hide)
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 08:30:45 am »

Thanks!
NewAgeOfPower
Craftsman

Herp Herp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 05:20:00 pm »

There are no explosive grenades and the shield won't stop a poison gas or a flash of light.
Interesting design choice. Is this given a reason in story, or is it just balancing?
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 06:34:25 pm »

Interesting design choice. Is this given a reason in story, or is it just balancing?
Well, it's an already damaged spaceship, so there isn't much demand (or tolerance) for explosive grenades. 
NewAgeOfPower
Craftsman

Herp Herp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 07:09:24 pm »

Well, it's an already damaged spaceship, so there isn't much demand (or tolerance) for explosive grenades.
I mean, characters are already running around with automatic rifle and energy cannon. I can't imagine an M67 is that much more destructive...
AbounI
Colonist

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 03:50:18 am »

You will be able to upgrade your gadgets by acquiring higher quality power cells, emitters, pulsers, disruptors, reflectors, etc.
I would assume it will also be a question of skill too (thinking about the "electronics" one), no ?
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 04:33:48 am »

I mean, characters are already running around with automatic rifle and energy cannon. I can't imagine an M67 is that much more destructive...
Automatic rifles are one thing, explosives another. The cannons aren't really "cannons", plus they are very rare and require a lot of power, which limits their use. We can't do the same with explosives and say that there are only 5 grenades on the entire ship.

You will be able to upgrade your gadgets by acquiring higher quality power cells, emitters, pulsers, disruptors, reflectors, etc.
I would assume it will also be a question of skill too (thinking about the "electronics" one), no ?
No. We don't want to force you to invest in Electronics to be able to upgrade the gadgets. You don't create them from scratch, you merely swap parts, the same way you can replace your PC's power supply, video card, or add a hard drive.
Sotnik
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 05:16:01 am »

Holigram projector. I believe there sould be a free action to mark any one as a hologram. Instead of hologram hp, there should be an int/per check difficulty. The dice is rolled every time an opponent fires at the hologram and at the end of the turn (results are modufied by the distance). Upon successful check, the hologram is automatically marked as hologram.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 08:06:55 am »

Holigram projector. I believe there sould be a free action to mark any one as a hologram. Instead of hologram hp, there should be an int/per check difficulty. The dice is rolled every time an opponent fires at the hologram and at the end of the turn (results are modufied by the distance). Upon successful check, the hologram is automatically marked as hologram.
With any other system, yes, I'd agree with you. Here when we have 3 main combat gadgets, they should be equally useful and no single gadget should be better by default in all situation. If we go with dice-rolling, there is a good chance that the enemy won't fall for it and you'll be dead in no time. Thus the enemy must consider all targets viable without any checks.
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 01:19:11 pm »

Re: Energy Shield/Emitter, I feel like a distinction needs to be made between projectiles, which are physical objects like bullets, and energy beams, which are not and which travel exponentially faster.
How about ...which slows down projectiles and scatters the focus of energy beams.

contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal:Arbiter's Mark | Stygian
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Encased | ATOM RPG | Realms Beyond | Fell Seal:Missions&Monsters | Urtuk: The Desolation
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 03:06:56 pm »

Re: Energy Shield/Emitter, I feel like a distinction needs to be made between projectiles, which are physical objects like bullets, and energy beams, which are not and which travel exponentially faster.
How about ...which slows down projectiles and scatters the focus of energy beams.
Salute
Stellavore
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 04:00:14 am »

I love how all of these updates consist of forum posters fleeing in the face of logic that Vince has clearly posted. Or Vince defending thought out design decisions from shitpickers who are just here to argue. You have the most depressing job ever man.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: