Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGThe Age of DecadenceNew build on Steam's test branch
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New build on Steam's test branch  (Read 12449 times)
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2017, 12:32:14 pm »

Thank you, it helped a lot. I replicated the problem and it will be fixed in the next update.
RafaelLVX
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2017, 11:01:13 pm »

I do have to say, I am pretty disappointed that combat was not refined further. The choices just feel.. superficial, and build options feel.. fake.
Really, you have Offensive Skill + Defensive Skill + Crit Skill, and choosing multiple offensive skills or multiple defensive skills is just terrible.
You can hold onto multiple weapons, but they don't all actually get used correctly. There is no displayed use of multiple weapons, and only the one you have selected can be used for counter-attacks. A spear will magically vanish and stop being useful for repelling. The second weapon, fundamentally, grants no advantage.

So why can you?  Pretending you have a false option just adds traps to the game. These aren't builds that are powerful in niche situations, they are builds that are weak.

Pretending you have weapon options has always not gone over well with me.
I don't see it as pretending. There are different options for people who prefer different weapons, which play differently and call for different combat styles.

What I think he means here and you missed is that you can hold two weapons, which makes it look like you can wield two weapons, but that's not the case. You essentially wield one at a time. Two weapons in hand or one makes no difference in attack or defense. One can think you could use a double attack or a double parry. Parrying doesn't even exist.
RafaelLVX
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2017, 11:10:01 pm »

Did you look at the text in context?
I did.

Age of Decadence does excel in storytelling so I don't see why defend against refinement in storytelling.
When someone offers criticism, I offer our reasons for doing things that way. It's not a defense of poor design but an explanation to consider and be aware of. It doesn't mean that the design in question is flawless and perfect in every way. If you have a specific suggestion, we'll gladly consider it in the future.

Maybe you discarded my comment outright and didn't bother looking at the text in context and now I see why, you didn't like that I called it lazy and linear, even highlighted it for me.
I'm very hard to offend and words like lazy or linear don't get me all worked up. I merely pointed out that if the problem is indeed that the design is lazy and linear, the proposed solution ("after you left") won't fix it. 

I don't have the original text in hand to make specific sugestions, I just think the text presented seemed out of place. The "after you left" solution would have to be refined and geared toward better explaining that you just left Teron forever and after that, things changed there for its own devices, something the player won't know in the first playthrough and it's definitely unexpected in games in general. To me that was very easy to spot, but if you reread the text in its context and thought it does the job, I can't even debate since I'm viewing it from the top of my head, having read it once days ago. You're the pro.
RafaelLVX
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2017, 12:05:43 am »

I'll report another "strangeness" below.

(click to show/hide)

This could be intentional, but just seems like one of those "take this path or another just because" moments in gaming.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2017, 06:27:20 am »

(click to show/hide)

This could be intentional, but just seems like one of those "take this path or another just because" moments in gaming.
Logically, the guards would be on high alert when they realized that someone poisoned them.
Markus
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2017, 11:10:51 am »

A lot of improvements with the latest patch, however, something disturbing me :

2 thugs of Miltiades :
Loot > perhaps 120 po
Healer > 300 po (strength reduction)

4 thugs in Teron :
Loot > less than 100 po
Healer > 300 po (strength reduction)

Go to the healer after each battle is not very fun, therefore it's possible to change the duration of "savage blow" (2 or 3 turns instead of permanent) ?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 12:48:35 pm by Markus » Logged
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2017, 01:03:09 am »

Can't be made temporary, but we'll make some tweaks. Also, try using the restorative liniments from alchemy.

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Markus
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2017, 02:40:21 am »

@Oscar All "special effects" on the weapons have a duration of 2-3 turns, if the "special effect" for the axe is "permanent"... "savage blow" is unbalanced.

Restorative liniment ? After 50% of the battles, my strenght is reduced of 1-2 points, 1 potion restore 1 point... How many "goldenberry" are available in the game ? Perhaps 15-20.

In my view, the best way is to revert back ("25% extra damage" instead of "strength reduction").
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 12:58:46 am by Markus » Logged
Sunfire
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2017, 04:13:55 am »

No, Restorative Liniment at Alchemy Skill Level 10 heals stat penalties for 5 points
at 9 - 4 points
at 7-8 - 3 points
at 5-6 - 2 points
at 3-4 - 1 points
Markus
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2017, 05:21:52 am »

@Sunfire Ok, there is a new potion for healing the new savage blow... But for the balance, there is still one problem : The axe has become the most powerful weapon of the game.
Sunfire
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2017, 05:30:53 am »

Against you - maybe, but it was surely nerfed against NPC (none of them no longer have to heal it passive effect) Smile
Before the Final Update some players managed to kill Agathoth in 2-3 strikes using axe+crafting+alchemy+whetstone Wink
Now it seems more unlikely.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 05:34:38 am by Sunfire » Logged
NewAgeOfPower
Craftsman

Herp Herp

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2017, 01:41:37 pm »

New patch today, what's up?
RafaelLVX
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2017, 12:03:10 am »

Started a game on the latest update today from Steam. When choosing my background, sometimes when you click on a background whose avatar holds a knife, the knife is misplaced floating by the character's knee instead of hand. After a few seconds the avatar moves (I don't know, scratches back, looks around), the knife goes to hand.
Luckmann
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2017, 02:37:06 pm »

(click to show/hide)

Logically, the guards would be on high alert when they realized that someone poisoned them.
I mean, yeah, but logically, shouldn't they also be much, much worse at their jobs, considering that they've been poisoned?

I dunno, the fact that you lose the option altogether and cannot even attempt it always annoyed me, because there's no feedback to the player explaining why you can't even try.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2017, 04:40:14 pm »

(click to show/hide)

I mean, yeah, but logically, shouldn't they also be much, much worse at their jobs, considering that they've been poisoned?
They are but if you're using rat poison, the effect is minor.

When you come closer you notice that the guard looks pale and is sweating profoundly.
or
When you come closer you notice that the guard looks feverish and can barely stand.
or
When you come closer, the guard turns away and vomits violently, throwing up blood.

I dunno, the fact that you lose the option altogether and cannot even attempt it always annoyed me, because there's no feedback to the player explaining why you can't even try.
You're probably right but it's one of those things that are kind of obvious if you think about it, which makes it hard to explain without talking directly to the player. I mean what do I write there?

Upon returning to the mine you discover that drinking poisoned wine made the guards very suspicious and put the entire camp on high alert?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: