Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: First time playing DS again in years  (Read 1369 times)
NewAgeOfPower
Craftsman

Herp Herp

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2016, 11:20:41 pm »

I sorta got fed up awhile back in 2013, quit. Came back, started a new campaign (Hardcore). Some Reanimated changes, I like. Others, not so much.

Still, I finally did Austin Outskirts.

Holy fuck. The cinematic feel, after fighting through multiple levels of mercenaries in heavy gear, getting unavoidably knocked down from grenades, then killing Keyes after he threatened to bomb the shelter... Wow.

Then looking down at Austin below, literally filled with zombies.

I had to take a second screenshot in a different resolution, just because.

P.S. Came back to loot all the stuff I couldn't carry back the first time. (I went through Gillian's backdoor the first time)

Sucks to be this guy ;p
NewAgeOfPower
Craftsman

Herp Herp

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 01:11:16 am »

Now that I've beaten it, I'm uncertain how I feel.

It's close to a masterpiece, but there are so many naggling little things that make me feel "meh" when I consider going after the Bus/Military/Lloyd endings.
phimseto
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 03:16:33 pm »

I bought the game for a bunch of friends over Christmas, and I'm looking forward to their playing it. The game definitely needs one more patch to reach its full potential, but I've played through it twice and only ever had minimal issues.

Honestly, the act of buying the game again just made me realize how much I want a sequel to it - not even a story sequel, just the same setup in another part of the country would do with some expanded base features and a few other iterations.
NewAgeOfPower
Craftsman

Herp Herp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 03:41:06 pm »

I bought the game for a bunch of friends over Christmas, and I'm looking forward to their playing it. The game definitely needs one more patch to reach its full potential, but I've played through it twice and only ever had minimal issues.

Honestly, the act of buying the game again just made me realize how much I want a sequel to it - not even a story sequel, just the same setup in another part of the country would do with some expanded base features and a few other iterations.

I spend so much more time managing inventory, looting, dividing loot, manually clicking loot into the car trunk, splitting luxury items to my less happy members of the shelter than doing significant things, like combat or making storyline decisions.
beansisback
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 05:53:19 pm »

It's close to a masterpiece

lol
phimseto
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 06:40:01 pm »

I spend so much more time managing inventory, looting, dividing loot, manually clicking loot into the car trunk, splitting luxury items to my less happy members of the shelter than doing significant things, like combat or making storyline decisions.

Plenty of first games have some core interface problems. The first Witcher game comes to mind. It is hard to play that game and anticipate what we got in Witcher 2 and 3. Dead State isn't a studio project, though. It's a small indie concern, so you wouldn't see that major a leap across the board but they've read the criticisms and I have no doubt that they would refine some of these things for a sequel while improving upon what worked. A lot of "2s", from major titles like Mass Effect and Dead Rising to indie peers like Banner Saga and Kingdom Rush show small refines that add up to big improvements and a better final product when you add them all together.

And, honestly, I would defend the things you are complaining about. It's no different than the mechanics that drive This War of Mine, only on a larger, more involved scale. The survival element is a key part of the game concept and prioritizing what to take/what to leave behind/who to appease or let their complaints ride were as much storyline decisions as anything else. It is as important a part of the game as the combat. Could some of the mechanics be better? Sure. I'm sure the devs thought of it and if they ever do a sequel, they'll be able to implement those changes to the happiness of most.

The "zombie RPG" was a great experience and I hope we get a new one someday.
jojobe
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 03:00:03 pm »

That mission was hard. I really wish it was sand box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: