Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGDungeon RatsMurderous Psychopath Solo - Builds, Tactics, and Strategies
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Murderous Psychopath Solo - Builds, Tactics, and Strategies  (Read 16438 times)
jbp26
Journeyman

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2016, 10:58:45 pm »

I beat the game on Murderous Psychopath, with a spear/dodge/crafting build: S6 D9 C8 P9 I4 C4. I used Marcus up until I got Ismail. Ismail focused on dodge/alchemy/bow. My typical strategy was to hold enemies back with my spear while Ismail poisoned everyone. The only battle that gave my real trouble was the sky metal constructs, the archer just tore me apart. Lack of skill points was a big problem, I ended the game with 10 Spear, 10 Dodge, 8 Crafting, and all the points i got at the last fights went to CS.

I'm trying a similar build now on solo: S6 D10 C8 P8 I6 C2, spear/dodge/alchemy. Hopefully I have enough skill points to include crafting and CS. I'm up to the 3 large ants or Barca fight. My main problem is the lack of damage from this build, especially against insects. Berserk potions were crucial in my previous run, but they're scarce this early on and the hit to accuracy is harsh. I have Spear 6, Dodge 6, Alchemy 4, Crafting 2- think this build can make it? Should I respect?
jbp26
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 05:50:26 pm »

The early game was very difficult for this character. The early non-human enemies have thick armor that bronze spear/low strength can't really penetrate. The queen ant fight was especially difficult. I had to kill her before the second wave of reinforcements (or I'd never win the fight), but my low damage output made that tough. After a dozen failed attempts, I tried a new strategy; wait on first turn and let her come to me, then knock her out with a bomb. Then consume strength potion + neurostim. This gave me 2 full turns of head shots plus a little extra, and I was able to kill her on the first try.

After that fight, I sailed through most of the rest of the game. Human enemies were trivial with spear + poison. I beat pretty much every fight on the first try. Even archers haven't been too bad, I've been able to pull enemies into their line of fire and let them do the work for me.

Currently I'm on the fight with the 3 constructs before the medical device. This one has been pretty tricky, the crossbow construct absolutely shreds me. The closest I've come is to pull all the way back into the hallway and draw the two melee constructs in. The ranged construct will hit them a lot and will generally not do much damage to me, but he kills me pretty quickly as soon as I close in to melee range.
Stealth
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 07:18:22 pm »

I had to send in the construct party member to suicide rush Nordom. He lasted 4 turns before dying, but he kept it distracted long enough to finish off the two melees.

I agree though that the ants are a nightmare. There's not enough good weapons and armor and that poison also sucks. The fire ant warrior trio near the scorpion valley is ripping my spearman up. It feels like I'm fighting 3 Al-Sahirs while naked.

None of the Dredgers nor Molerats fights were as tough as some of the ant, centipede, or construct fights. They're ability to attack diagonally let's them surround easily and it makes positioning feel useless.
jbp26
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 10:18:01 pm »

I played the first time with Int 4 Cha 4, this time I played with Int 6 Cha 2. The extra skill points FAR outweighed a second companion. The centipedes, worms, and scorpions were no problem because they couldn't get past my spear. Even the fight with 4 centipedes, it took one alchemical fire and I was set.

The only way I beat the 3 fire ants was strength potion + neurostim and a few lucky rolls to do as much damage as possible. The combination of high DR, 0% hardness starting weapons, and poison makes them extremely frustrating. Even if there was just some schematics on the first level so you could craft something better.

Even most of the constructs were pretty easy. With a steel crafted spear, I just hung back and let them walk into me. Honestly it was far too dangerous to get within striking range and trigger and interrupt, so I repeatedly skipped my turn and watched them walk into.

I beat the nodrom construct the first time by having my companion distract him and then charging him. Solo, its not an option. I can usually kill the melee constructs and be at full health, but even with 50 HP I can't survive more than 4 shots at most.
jbp26
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 12:41:04 am »

Beat it. Final stats were: S8 D10 C9 P8 I6 C2, Spear 10, Dodge 10, CS 4, Craft 10, Alchemy 8. The last construct fight was the most difficult. I crafted a strong tower shield and  hid behind the two melee constructs, and started the battle way back to lure the ranged construction forward. I killed them quickly then rushed him. After that I crafted meteor gear and raised my stats and the rest was trivial.

Great game and a lot of fun. The combat system is really excellent. Overall the challenge level is quite good, I cruised through a lot of the fights but I felt like it was a reward for good tactics and planning.
agris
Colonist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 05:30:31 pm »

Beat it. Final stats were: S8 D10 C9 P8 I6 C2, Spear 10, Dodge 10, CS 4, Craft 10, Alchemy 8. The last construct fight was the most difficult. I crafted a strong tower shield and  hid behind the two melee constructs, and started the battle way back to lure the ranged construction forward. I killed them quickly then rushed him. After that I crafted meteor gear and raised my stats and the rest was trivial.

I'm thinking about the same attribute distribution (7/9/8/8/6/2 pre-medbot), and am wondering if the +10% SP from I6 is really worth it. Based on my calculations, you spent 570 SP to end with those skills. That means you earned 518 SP, and with the 10% bonus from I6, got 52 extra.

52 SP is almost enough to take a skill to R7 (55 SP). To keep it in perspective, it takes 95 SP to get to R8, and 150 to R10.

I wonder if it really is worth it. Your CS isn't being put to use really, so that's 25 SP extra. I guess the question is- how much SP did you have unspent by the end? I'd also argue that R10 dodge isn't needed, so with R9 dodge and no CS, you make up that 52 extra SP from I6, and have two bonus attribute points to play with.
AndreGAS
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 06:38:42 pm »

Beat it after patch on MP solo ironman, with 4(7)/10/10/4/10/2, spear/dodge. It's a no brainer build, easy as f**k, no troubles, no difficulties. Got two tries to do so.

Spamming fast attacks on unarmored, spam regular on armored, break legs and go for the head. Three ants and queen laid down surprisingly easy. For upper levels you have 10 spear/10 dodge/10 craft/9 alchemy and do insane damage via poison and berserk even with Str 4 and no crits on interrupts.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 06:43:32 pm by AndreGAS » Logged
agris
Colonist

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 06:50:34 pm »

did you swap INT and PER in your stats, or did you really go 10 INT and 4 PER?
jbp26
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 08:48:55 pm »

I'm thinking about the same attribute distribution (7/9/8/8/6/2 pre-medbot), and am wondering if the +10% SP from I6 is really worth it. Based on my calculations, you spent 570 SP to end with those skills. That means you earned 518 SP, and with the 10% bonus from I6, got 52 extra.

52 SP is almost enough to take a skill to R7 (55 SP). To keep it in perspective, it takes 95 SP to get to R8, and 150 to R10.

I wonder if it really is worth it. Your CS isn't being put to use really, so that's 25 SP extra. I guess the question is- how much SP did you have unspent by the end? I'd also argue that R10 dodge isn't needed, so with R9 dodge and no CS, you make up that 52 extra SP from I6, and have two bonus attribute points to play with.

CS was a non-factor in this run. I put CS to 4 with the SP I got after the medical bay fight, it was at 1 the entire time before. I would have had some unspent SP from the fights at the end, but I didn't even bother assigning them, there were no credible threats left.

I disagree about R10 dodge, its arguable the most important attribute. Dodge is life. Crafting 10 is probably overkill, it didn't really make an appreciable difference. You could probably get away with a 4 INT build and only raise Crafting to 8. My only concern would be that its the rate of SP gain that matters as well, not just the end total. Pumping dodge and alchemy early made the game SO much easier than my 1 companion attempt, and most encounters with human enemies were trivial.
agris
Colonist

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 11:21:12 pm »

I'm not talking shit on your build, just using it a data point to come up with a modified one. I'm trying the I4 version of that spear+dodge build (6/10/9/9/4/2), I'll see how it goes. Beat the ant queen, now time for claim jumpers...
jbp26
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 09:39:35 am »

I'm not talking shit on your build, just using it a data point to come up with a modified one. I'm trying the I4 version of that spear+dodge build (6/10/9/9/4/2), I'll see how it goes. Beat the ant queen, now time for claim jumpers...

not a problem mate, i didn't take it that way. if you beat the ant queen, you're already in good shape, that was the hardest part for me.
AndreGAS
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 06:33:12 pm »

did you swap INT and PER in your stats, or did you really go 10 INT and 4 PER?

Yes, PER 4 / INT 10. You lose 2 PER cheks, but have 1 INT check with dragon blood as a reward. And you swim in SP through all the game.

As I see the main weakness of many melee builds is the idea that high PER is mandatory (for no reason, if you ask me). And spear/dodge builds since AoD prove that even high STR is not necessary. Yes, you do must know all encounters in DR, but with INT 10 you can pop up neuro and berzerk and wreck things with PER and STR 4 holding up your spear. And yes, bombs for constructs.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 07:40:07 pm by AndreGAS » Logged
Stealth
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 07:43:10 pm »

Another thing worth mentioning is that you can up your THC with synergie skill ups due to the extra INT, assuming you're not using spears.
AndreGAS
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 09:01:25 pm »

Another thing worth mentioning is that you can up your THC with synergie skill ups due to the extra INT, assuming you're not using spears

And all remaining SP from goes for sinergie as you can no longer crit from interrupts. Or you may have CRT 9 and spam quick attacks during last fights, there is no lack of precision even with PER 4 and no sinergie.
Vahha
Testers

S:6 D:10 C:8 P:8 I:9 Ch:4 Sp 7 D 8 CS 7 Cr 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2016, 11:09:08 am »

One player said the game was rather easy @ Murderous psychopath for the following build: 10/10/10/4/4/2
Although there was no use for the stat increasing machine he didn't really care.

β€œIn a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”

― George Orwell, 1984
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: