Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGDungeon RatsGame balance: SP gain, allies, difficulty of fights, availability of resources
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Game balance: SP gain, allies, difficulty of fights, availability of resources  (Read 6801 times)
NewAgeOfPower
Craftsman

Herp Herp

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2016, 02:57:56 am »

So I've noticed that in AoD enemies are a lot harder to hit, but hit less often. Then I remembered that it's because enemies in DR get a huge bonus to THC, but not their defense on hard. This makes prioritizing defense over attack a must when skilling up your character. Making the bonus a smaller THC boost plus a smaller defense boost would be better than a straight up THC bonus. Right now, the Dredgers easily hit a defense 100 character far more often than elite AoD enemies. It feels really jarring when an early-midgame thug is hitting you more than Al-Sahir, despite having the same defense.

Another issue is that AoD characters can get some significant training bonuses, but is not the case with DR.

Sad
Godbluff
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2016, 04:49:27 pm »

So I've noticed that in AoD enemies are a lot harder to hit, but hit less often. Then I remembered that it's because enemies in DR get a huge bonus to THC, but not their defense on hard. This makes prioritizing defense over attack a must when skilling up your character. Making the bonus a smaller THC boost plus a smaller defense boost would be better than a straight up THC bonus. Right now, the Dredgers easily hit a defense 100 character far more often than elite AoD enemies. It feels really jarring when an early-midgame thug is hitting you more than Al-Sahir, despite having the same defense.

Hang on a second, you mean that on hard they actually get a higher THC than they would with the AoD rules? I thought they received a penalty on lower difficulties.

Another issue is that AoD characters can get some significant training bonuses, but is not the case with DR.

Sad

That's true. Even a 10 points bonus makes a big difference and you can get a lot more.
Stealth
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2016, 06:06:49 pm »

Hang on a second, you mean that on hard they actually get a higher THC than they would with the AoD rules? I thought they received a penalty on lower difficulties.

It certainly feels that way. The bandit camp and Aurelian outpost did not hit anywhere nearly as much as the Dredgers, despite my defense being 60 in AoD and around 100 against the Dredgers in DR. However, the Dredgers did not have as good of a defensive skill as Esbenus' group and the Aurelians.

In AoD the balance between enemy THC and their defense feels perfect, while in DR it feels way skewed toward their THC.
Wrath of Dagon
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2017, 10:11:02 am »

AOD is way too easy for a combat build after Teron, so what's the point of comparing?

In the tunnels, with crafting 6 (steel), you find much better equipment than what you can make yourself. So no reason to invest in crafting except for the whetstone bonus, which is an important consideration. Also I used to like to wear and craft manica, but now it provides so little vsCS that it's useless.

Secondly--MURDER? Merely because I had planned the duel and provoked the quarrel! Never had I heard anything so preposterous.
Stealth
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2018, 06:37:00 pm »

I've been thinking about taking Hieron for once and getting his Crafting to 10, then benching him.
Stealth
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2018, 11:00:49 pm »

Times I have ran out of healing salves/food:

1. Right before the Democritus fight.

2. After the first fight in the construct crystal caves.

Once you hit the Mole Rats, cassavas completely dry up. The few in that side tunnel with the quad black scolopedra were used to heal for that side fight alone. There also aren't any cassavas or food in the crystal caves and the facility, so my journey came to an end right there. This was for a solo character at CON 10.

Alchemy skill was:

2 for the ants.

4 at old town.

6 at the plants

8 at Scaurus.

I backtracked all the way to rock bottom and I definitely did not miss any pickups.

On another note: Please allow bleeds to work on constructs. Being immunized against bleeds and poisons basically took out 95% of my damage dealing ability for my DoT build. While I could scrape by against the poison immune creatures, the constructs are another story. The build worked fine until these bastards. There's not enough creatable acid vials, fire, and bombs cheese them down. Letting bleeds work on them is still consistent with the gameworld as they constantly bleed oil when you hit them. You even get rock oil when you kill them.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 11:02:25 pm by Stealth » Logged
Stealth
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2018, 05:30:49 pm »

Another observation:

The Ant Queen's vs-CS is insanely high to the point of screwing over crit-based builds, especially those that are not focused on daggers. At 10STR/10PER and CS at 3, the CS chance is 3%, while with the same attributes but at CS 4, it's only 15%.
Stealth
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2018, 12:27:05 am »

Melee builds parties and especially solo melee dodger characters get screwed over heavily by the bomb carrying karda thrower in the Enforcer fight. You cannot bum rush him or even bomb him to death at the start because his side will get two back-to-back turns, the first of which will have you netted and easily taken down after you kill him. If you retreat for the bridge, eventually his allies will block his karda aim and he will get in close and auto-switch to his bomb. Must have done over 100 reloads so far and I still can't beat the fight.

Another annoying factor is that the dagger user seems to be getting 100% leg cripple crits, which means there's a very high chance that you'll have to spend the rest of the fight with 1 or 2 max APs lost.

AbounI

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2018, 07:47:04 pm »

On another note: Please allow bleeds to work on constructs. Being immunized against bleeds and poisons basically took out 95% of my damage dealing ability for my DoT build. While I could scrape by against the poison immune creatures, the constructs are another story. The build worked fine until these bastards. There's not enough creatable acid vials, fire, and bombs cheese them down. Letting bleeds work on them is still consistent with the gameworld as they constantly bleed oil when you hit them. You even get rock oil when you kill them.
A fair point I approve
Sunfire
Archmaster

Veni, vidi, vici

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2018, 01:37:35 am »

They've made of metal, so a cuts of their outer surfaces shouldn't cause any bleeding.

The LoRE Team

Community Edition mod

Every plot you take, every bug you make, every script you break, every end you fake, I'll be watching you.
AbounI

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2018, 06:04:29 am »

Yep, but still, a critical strike can rupture its vital organs according to the text box.
Then, when a construct is eliminated : "The construct freezes, its gears damaged beyond repair, then collapses into a heap". We could guess it's not only damaged in surface  Wink
Sunfire
Archmaster

Veni, vidi, vici

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2018, 11:25:45 am »

A bleeding cuts aren't equal to critical damage.

The LoRE Team

Community Edition mod

Every plot you take, every bug you make, every script you break, every end you fake, I'll be watching you.
Stealth
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2018, 01:28:40 am »

They've made of metal, so a cuts of their outer surfaces shouldn't cause any bleeding.

Which is why attacks that do 0 damage cannot cause the bleeding passive to kick in.

Another thing I noticed is that you cannot get an arterial strike crit bleed and a sword master bleed at the same time. If you get the crit, then the weapon mastery cannot kick in.

I also did another run and cheesed the Enforcer with a liquid fire vial that pushes him and the hammer guy backwards, then bombed the three them.

Problem was I AGAIN ran out of healing after reaching the facility.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: