Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGSystem Crash (Moderator: Gareth)Halloween Update - Night Terrors
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Halloween Update - Night Terrors  (Read 6136 times)
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« on: October 28, 2016, 12:20:54 pm »

Whew. The update I've been grinding on for the last 3 weeks is finally live!

Summon your courage and load your guns, Runners! Halloween is here, and with it comes...The Night Terrors!

The latest update to System Crash introduces a challenging new mini-campaign, free for anyone who owns the game!

- Unlock the Night Terrors story campaign by completing Neon Noir.
- 3 spooky new cards to add to your deck.
- 10 new missions to challenge veteran players.
- Halloween cards now have a chance to drop in the main campaign as mission rewards.

Happy Halloween, Runners!

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 12:21:28 pm »

Higher rez versions of the art I did for the new cards. It was fun, but tiring.

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
Spyros
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 01:14:20 pm »

Tried it last Sunday. My style is to more or less pick the standard deck that is closest to my opponents' and turtle my way through. This made Vlad my worst opponent, just from having an very fast Anarch deck. His own card didn't do much, though, as I use the first peons as cannon fodder; not too distressed that they can't hit him.

Bloody Mary's was challenging at first, one-shooting my pricey wall of MetroSec meat, plus her own card doing the same when coming into play. Eventually I tried a hacking deck, relying mostly on tactics, especially smoke grenade, and spending cheap units early when no smoke grenade around. Worked a lot of the time.

For the Wolfman, I didn't change my style of play. Just play a hacking deck, and the ability of his card isn't that damaging (now, if it wasn't random...).

All in all, it was fun. Could have used a more sophisticated story, but that's what I always say.
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 02:27:41 am »

Glad you enjoyed it!

Yeah, it could have been more sophisticated. But I put it all together, including the art, in 3 weeks. Not too bad, for the short development time, I think.  lol

Thanks for the feedback!

My blog
Infinitum
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 07:45:31 am »

Played it; it is a nice little expansion. Security Credentials/System Crash are still vastly overpowered and stomped everything, but at least Wolfman and the Witch are a start. At 4cc they still come online too late to stem the tide unless I drew a bad hand though. Might've lost one game throughout?

Are you still working on this Gareth? Without multiplayer there's not much point to playing I'm afraid, but the core mexhanics nd theme are kind of fun. WOud love to see MP implemented at some point.
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 06:36:24 am »

Glad you had fun with it, and thanks for the feedback, I'll check out that balance. Smile

As to what I'm doing with it...that's something I'm thinking about at the moment. The game hasn't made me back the money I spent on it, yet, and there's a huge glut of card games at the moment.

I basically settled on making a CCG right at the point when a bunch of other devs had the same idea. And, like you say, no multiplayer means it doesn't have the legs of say a Hearthstone.

So I'm left wondering whether it's worth investing too much more into it, or whether it would be throwing good money after bad. Adding MP would be quite expensive, I'd need a critical mass of players to get the raw numbers needed to have a full lobby,  and would it draw people away from Hearthstone and what they've invested there?

So yeah, I'm still thinking about what to do next with it. I'll probably test out what happens with a proper expansion (decent number of new cards, new story, new mechanics etc), whether that is profitable, and judge based on those metrics. It might be that expansions make me a profit, and grow sales in the base game.

Running a business is like playing a strategy game, figuring out where to spend your resources effectively.  lol

My blog
Ansa
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 02:31:59 am »

Well man, the MP talks were on when the game was far from pre-release even.
But yeah, the influx of card games followed after Hearthstone is just obscene, they all have MP ready, and competing will be hard as hell.
Looks kinda grim.

That being said, the game badly needs a few things:
- Widescreen + tablet screen support. The low-res art and 4:3 locked are criticized on Steam and for a good reason
- MP. You don't even need a lobby tbh, Steam MP support will cover that. Some ladder rankings would be great, just protect those from hackers so they don't spoof it like in XCOM. As long as people can join to duel each other through Steam without too much of a hassle - that's perfect.
- I saw a bunch of complaints about dialogue options not meaning shit, e.g. it really doesn't matter what you answer and all answers lead to the same thing - might look into that and make dialogues meaningful.

Everything else is optional, really.

That of course, will cost efforts and cash to implement, but might be worthwhile, considering yours is the only game that deals with cyberpunk CCG atm - all other competitor card games are fantasy Tolkien/Skyrim elves/dwarves/etc crap I think people are quite sick of already. So that's your edge.

Take care man.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 02:43:47 am by Ansa » Logged

Looking at cleavage is like looking at the sun. You can't stare at it long, it's too risky. You get a sense of it then you look away.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: