Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGDungeon RatsDungeon Rats reviews and other promotion
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Rats reviews and other promotion  (Read 8306 times)
Goral
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2016, 12:19:03 pm »

There's also this review: http://trzynasty-schron.net/dzial,grykomputerowe_dungeon_rats.htm
The reviewer gave 8.5/10 rating and highly recommends it unless you're a graphic whore.

I've posted "reviews" on GOG, Steam and Metacritic, as well as CD-Action and GOL (biggest gaming magazine and biggest gaming site in Poland) but most people won't even bother to post a simple "I recommend" on Steam.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2016, 12:53:37 pm »

Most of these are content publishing businesses, meaning that they make a living our of reviewing new games. Game editors themselves are lowly employees, which will jump at any chance to use pre-written material as part of a press pack, especially if it is concise and well written.
It's not that simple.

First, nobody cares about the press pack material. There are three things that matter: reviews, lengthy discussions on other forums, people bringing up your game months after release. The rest is a waste of everyone's time. AoD scored well on all 3 but it's a complex and somewhat innovative game. DR isn't. It doesn't have that staying power because it offers nothing new. There isn't much to discuss or review there.

Like any media, the review sites want to publish content that people want to read (that generates great traffic). How many people want to read about yet another crappy-looking indie RPG that's all about combat? Very few. Those few sites and magazines that do review it give it considerably lower marks (7.5) because it's just another combat game that looks kinda meh. Can't say I'm surprised.

I have a feeling that the Codex review wouldn't praise the game either. So what can we ask from the mainstream media? Review the game and give it 6/10 to show that you aren't afraid to give low scores? Would the game sell better on Steam if it has the mainstream rating of 6.3?

4. Plan your outreach approach
You need to be organised and have a large Excel file with who you contact, when, if they replied or not, the email address and name you used as a sender. You also want to have 2-3 steps which include following up on the initial email and checking if they wrote anything for you after first contact.
I was a VP of Sales & Marketing in a large advertising company before I left it to make games full time. I assure you I know all there's to know about developing contacts, following up, tracking, etc. I taught it for years (until I got sick of it).

I would imagine Dungeon Rats is not a major traffic source, so the right approach should be to position it as the next step in AOD (almost like an expansion) as opposed to a fresh new game.
Which would be a mistake.

One of the reasons why AAA titles fare so well is the obscene amount of articles and videos that get released through the main computer gaming media.
Because that's what everyone wants to read about. Until recently the top threads on our forums were Let's play AoD, Fallout 3 impressions, Dragon Age impressions. It doesn't mean that a crappy-looking indie game can get even 1% of that coverage by emailing press-releases all day.

It takes a dedicated marketing department, hefty budgets, time and premeditation.
It takes an eye-candy game. There's a reason why the AAA companies have been pushing the visual aspects above all else. If your game looks awesome, it's an easy sell (especially when you have working contacts and a good budget).
Goral
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2016, 02:02:09 pm »

It takes an eye-candy game. There's a reason why the AAA companies have been pushing the visual aspects above all else. If your game looks awesome, it's an easy sell (especially when you have working contacts and a good budget).
So true. My friends wouldn't want to play DR even for free... I have 2 GOG keys (one not yet redeemed) and 2 Steam keys (1 not yet redeemed) but I don't have anyone to give it to. I don't want to give it to complete strangers, I don't want to give it to someone likely to buy it (so Codexers or some other old-school RPG fans) and those I could give them to aren't interested mainly because graphics is just too bad. One of my friends said that I like to play strange games Grin.

Wrath of Dagon
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2016, 03:20:37 pm »

The biggest advantage AAA games have is a huge marketing budget to bribe everyone who matters into gushing about their game. The visual aspect mostly matters to people who are not the people you're looking for (for what it's worth, both AOD and DR look great).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 03:22:15 pm by Wrath of Dagon » Logged

Secondly--MURDER? Merely because I had planned the duel and provoked the quarrel! Never had I heard anything so preposterous.
Pladio
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2016, 02:35:27 pm »

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10480

Codex review
Vahha
Testers

S:6 D:10 C:8 P:8 I:9 Ch:4 Sp 7 D 8 CS 7 Cr 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2016, 03:34:49 pm »

Haha, a dungeon brawler )

β€œIn a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”

― George Orwell, 1984
Pladio
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2016, 11:59:49 am »

Any idea how to post a review on GOG ? I forgot how to do it and I do not see a write review button.
Sunfire
Archmaster

Veni, vidi, vici

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2016, 12:05:51 pm »

Any idea how to post a review on GOG ? I forgot how to do it and I do not see a write review button.
https://www.gog.com/game/dungeon_rats
Does the link there "My review: add now" work?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 01:19:12 pm by Sunfire » Logged

The LoRE Team

Community Edition mod

Every plot you take, every bug you make, every script you break, every end you fake, I'll be watching you.
Pladio
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2016, 12:18:14 pm »

I am not sure how that helps Grin
 Wallbang

I know I wrote an AoD review, but I can't figure out how to do it for Dungeon Rats anymore.
Goral
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2018, 09:03:43 am »

I've said this before but giving keys to some niche Youtubers is a bad idea and a waste. Out of all youtubers you've send the keys to only this guy (Colonel RPG) completed the game: https://youtu.be/UIn2rLnzogU?list=PLXabidRc6PFC_4ztsjtyAFXeb29IQx2zb

So if you would want to do that again with TNW I would suggest to stick with that guy and ignore the rest (unless it would be some super popular Youtuber, way more popular than Colonel). BumpyMcSquigums for example should be on an ignore list (and the rest who had done nothing at all to promote it on a shit list).
NewAgeOfPower
Craftsman

Herp Herp

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2018, 06:09:10 pm »

He has some good points; I recalled pointing out the lack of resource management (food, specifically) and minimal exploration as flaws to Vince, but he insisted it was a feature to streamline the game around what mattered (combat).
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2018, 07:15:18 am »

He has some good points; I recalled pointing out the lack of resource management (food, specifically) and minimal exploration as flaws to Vince, but he insisted it was a feature to streamline the game around what mattered (combat).
I don't recall calling it a feature. The reason the game is focused on combat is not because that's what maters but because that's all we could do in 10 months and I was very open about it as we didn't want to mislead anyone.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: