Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls 3  (Read 3451 times)
suibhne
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2016, 06:30:08 pm »

Anyone else playing this? I didn't play DS2, but this nicely recaptures the feel of the original, albeit with better options and performance on PC. (Not perfect, mind you, but still a huge step forward.)

I'm a bit rubbish at these games - I typically beat the bosses on about the 20th go-around. But I enjoy the hell out of them most times, largely because of the fantastic art direction and level design.
Imbecile
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 12:03:41 pm »

Not yet. Holding off for a bit, having played DS, DS2 and bloodborne, the latter quite recently. They are good.
suibhne
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 12:08:13 pm »

Not yet. Holding off for a bit, having played DS, DS2 and bloodborne, the latter quite recently. They are good.

I can imagine this would feel like more of the same. It's faster-paced than DS, a bit slower than Bloodborne - kind of a hybrid in terms of pacing. Otherwise, it's exactly what you'd expect. But I think that's a good thing, and I never really finished DS after getting side-tracked by a boss; the problems of the PC port were a major pain in the ass every time I tried to reinstall and restart. This feels like the same experience - I'm enjoying all of the same stuff that I loved in DS - but in a much more stable, playable PC game.

Incidentally, I had two challenges with the default controls: mouse sens didn't go nearly low enough (even at 0, my aim was flying all over the screen), and I was getting inconsistent responsiveness with kicking and jump-attacking. I never found the settings files to address #1 in-game, so I had to install Logitech's mouse software and adjust the DPI dynamically; with that approach, sensitivity is just about perfect and mouse tracking is very smooth. As for #2, I rebound "Strong Attack" to my thumb button, which streamlined my controls from 3 simultaneous keypresses down to 2. Voila, issue solved. Now it almost feels like a native PC game. Wink

The interface is still a little opaque and very gamepad-centric, but everything is rebindable this time around. Graphics are also much more configurable on PC (similar to DS2, I believe). The game doesn't have a lot of UI niceties, but it performs well on PC - I wouldn't even consider playing it on console this time around.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 01:20:49 pm by suibhne » Logged
Gregorus Prime

Look, he's just this guy, you know?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 12:07:40 pm »

I broke down and bought it the other day, and I don't regret it. It feels a lot more like DS1 than 2, which felt like it was trying too hard.

I haven't gotten very far yet. Level 25 knight, only default equipment I've replaced is the shield (with a Lothric Knight Shield), and the bosses I've faced so far are punishing but not too difficult. Beat Vordt in one try, beat the big-ass tree in three albeit with some phantoms to help me.

I can't imagine trying to play this with KB+M, by the way. It seems like madness to try.
suibhne
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 01:09:58 pm »

I can't imagine trying to play this with KB+M, by the way. It seems like madness to try.

I've posted a lot more at the Watch re. my experiences with KB/M, but the short version is that it's great. I beat the Curse-Rotted Greatwood in one try without using lock-on, and I had no control problems at all. And ordinary enemies, where you use lock-on, are no different at all from a gamepad. And if you're using archery, the mouse control makes a big difference - I've been able to finish off monsters who were zig-zagging toward me, using the bow with quick mouse movement and leading shots that never would've been possible on a gamepad. I only wish sorcery could be practically used in first-person view, but then it would be super o/p. Smile
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 03:00:15 pm by suibhne » Logged
Jake Camper
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 03:16:43 am »

Great game! Few cons: bad optimization, high system requirements

I'm among the best players in my city. I'm sure there's no one like me. I'm playing right here. Now you know my secret.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: