Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Released!  (Read 114095 times)
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2015, 08:07:27 am »

The Age of Decadence, our first but hopefully not the last RPG, is now available. If you've been following it or playing it in Early Access, you know what to expect (if you did play an earlier version, please delete prefs.cs file from your Documents/My Games/Age of Decadence folder before starting a new game). If you've just discovered it, "stay awhile and listen".

The most commonly asked question is:
What Kind of Game Is It?

It’s a very different game than anything you’ve ever played. I’m sure you’ve noticed that the RPG genre hasn’t really been explored yet and most RPGs follow the formula that didn’t change in 20 years. While there were always games that strayed off the beaten path – Darklands, Planescape: Torment, King of Dragon Pass – such games were the exceptions that only reinforced the rule.

The Age of Decadence is an experiment, an attempt to explore a different direction, taking you back to the PnP roots of the genre. It doesn’t mean that the game is awesome. In fact, there is a good chance that you won’t like it, precisely because we took too many liberties with the established design.

So What Sets The Age of Decadence Apart From Other Games?

1. The Setup

Traditionally, many fantasy RPGs are about killing things, clearing up dungeons, and being a hero. There is nothing wrong with mindless fun and wish fulfillment, but we want to offer you something different. To quote Tom Chick (Quarter to Three's game critic):

"But Age of Decadence wants nothing to do with kobolds, just as it wants nothing to do with Doo-dads of Unimaginable Power. The overarching idea is a crumbling society divided among three noble Houses, each fumbling around in its own version of darkness to comprehend what destroyed the world. That’s the central mystery. It plays out like noir in that you are the detective, piecing together what really happened from differing accounts, all vividly written with clear voices and efficient prose. And like a detective in a noir yarn, you can’t help but become part of the central mystery, effecting an outcome you might not have intended."

The Age of Decadence is not a game about killing monsters or exploring mystical lands, but rather, surviving amid the greed and brutality of your fellow humans and carving out a name for yourself. Good and bad are purely relative. It’s a world of scheming and backstabbing in which your words and actions have the potential to forge alliances and sow discord, and your path is never certain.

You get to play with seven different factions: three Noble Houses and four 'professional' guilds: merchants, assassins, thieves, and the army, all fighting for power or influence; over 100 named characters, over 750 ‘generic’ characters with unique IDs taking part in violent take-overs, assassinations, and power grabs, and over 600,000 words of dialogue: a well-developed and thought through world, believable characters, realistic motivations, but no elves, dwarves, magic, and wizards in fashionable, pointy hats.

2. Combat’s difficulty

Another design aspect worth mentioning is combat difficulty. It’s a hard game.

Combat difficulty is integrated into the setting. You can’t say that the world is harsh and unforgiving and then let the player kill everyone who looks at him or her funny. The game has to be hard, dying should be easy, and you should have reasons to pick your fights.

You aren’t a powerful hero who can defeat anyone and save the world and it is the difficulty that reinforces this notion. Make the game easier and we’re back to the powerful hero setup. So unless you’re a natural born killer, watch what you say and think before you act or you’ll end up dead before you can blink.

3. Choices & Consequences

Choices are what the game is all about - crafting your own narrative via a variety of choices that alter the story, playing field, and your options down the road. From multiple quest solutions to branching questlines you'll have plenty decisions to make and consequences of said decisions to deal with, which is what makes the game incredibly replayable.

Starting the game as a mercenary and joining the Imperial Guards will give a completely different experience, different quests, different content and points of view than, say, playing the game as a merchant (less buying low and selling high, more scheming and plotting to gain advantages for the guild), a praetor serving a Noble House, or an assassin.

The questlines are interwoven, forming a large, overarching story, so playing the game only once will be like witnessing events from a single perspective, which is limited by default. You will have to play the game several times to better understand what’s going on, piece everything together, and see the full effect of the choices you make.

The Big Question: Should You Buy The Game?

Try before you buy. Even if everything I said sounds exactly like your kind of game, try the demo first. That’s what it’s there for. It gives you access to the first Chapter, consisting of 3 locations and about 30 quests split between mutually exclusive questlines and decisions.

Shop Smart! Shop S-Mart!

What's Next?

• We'll continue supporting the game and paying attention to your suggestions and concerns (as long as they fit the core of the game). During the next 3 months we'll work on extra content because why not? I dislike DLCs, so we won't charge anything for all extra content related to the game.
  • Our short-term project is a party-based dungeon crawler set in the AoD world. One of the characters mentions a prison-mine called The Second Chance and you'll be given an opportunity to escape it or die trying. This game will use the existing assets and systems.
  • Our long-term (i.e. a full scale RPG) project is a "generation ship" game, inspired by Heinlein's Orphans of the Sky. We're aiming to create a different experience with the same core ('hardcore', TB, C&C). So, combat will be turn-based but focused on ranged rather than melee (earth-made laser guns - rare but powerful, ammo even more rare, so save for special occasions - vs crude ship-manufactured firearms favoring burst rather then precision), level up to distribute skill points and unlock new feats, focus on the individual and more dynamic C&C, focus on exploring rather than working your way up in a faction; you'll be one of the 'freemen' who aren't born into a caste-like faction, more traditional open level design.

We'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who supported us over the years. We wouldn't have made it this far without you.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 10:07:17 pm by Vince » Logged
Anri

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 08:11:44 am »

It is done, at last it is done. (c)
Hyomoto
DS Gold Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 08:16:58 am »

Just wanted to stop by and say congratulations!  I believe I first picked up AoD three years ago, and by then you'd already invested a few into it.  May you enjoy the fruits of your labor!

"Everything humanity knows, humanity created.  In a world of such fantasy, who decides what is real?  Surely not mankind, for they are their own observer, caretaker and creator."
John Yossarian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 08:21:09 am »

Congrat guys, can't wait to get my ass handed to me later today.
Mindless
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 08:21:56 am »

No way! Panic Panic Panic
So of one of my the most anticipated games is released.
Good Job!  Approve
Albatross
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 08:23:19 am »

My congratulations!
silvera
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 08:28:56 am »

Congratulations!  Salute
Sunfire
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 08:33:19 am »

Great job! I'm glad you did it! Salute
cb.spike

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 08:33:54 am »

Congratulations! I hope the world will notice  Approve
Starwars

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 08:38:47 am »

Congratulations to the team! You guys rock, such dedication.  Salute Salute Salute Salute

Vince: "We strongly believe that the hardcore player doesn't want to be loved, but wants to be kicked in the balls and then kneed in the face."

Check out some of my home-recordings: http://www.youtube.com/user/Starwars83/videos?flow=grid&view=0
Ergil
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 08:40:19 am »

The RPG world will never be the same again Salute
Vahha
Testers

S:6 D:10 C:8 P:8 I:9 Ch:4 Sp 7 D 8 CS 7 Cr 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 08:44:30 am »

It's time to increase our promotion and coverage efforts ten-fold  Panic
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,6828.0.html
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 08:49:54 am by Vahhabyte » Logged

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”

― George Orwell, 1984
peakperformance

Nintendo DS-fetishist

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 08:44:58 am »

Haven't posted here in (edit: apparently what feels like) ages, but wanted to say congratulations for pulling through on it. I'm just booting it up right now.

Rock on.  Salute
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 08:47:20 am by peakperformance » Logged
robaki

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 08:47:26 am »

congratulations guys!  Salute
suibhne
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 08:48:19 am »

I know I've been pretty un-engaged with feedback over the last few years, but it's super-cool to see this and think back to all of our early Codex discussions on dialogue, interface design, etc. Big, big congratulations, gentlemen. I'm proud of what you've accomplished. I've already bought gift copies for some friends and I'll keep spreading the word. Salute

Also, you'd best sticky this thread. Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: