Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGSystem Crash (Moderator: Gareth)I need YOU! For pre-release testing.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: I need YOU! For pre-release testing.  (Read 13893 times)
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2015, 07:27:47 am »

Hah, right, part 2.

Noted on the bugs. How did you make a less than 40 card deck? I'm sure I prohibited that, in the deck builder? It should prevent you from saving your deck with too few cards. I'll double check. And good point, I need to add a check for no decks.

I'm glad you enjoyed the story! It is a little slow in the beginning, I'll think about maybe cutting some of the missions down (so instead of raiding 3 Neonmonger dens, you raid 2, or suchlike). I'll relook at the MetroSec sections, I could probably add in some more bounty hunters or AmTech agents.

Adding more pre-chosen deck missions is something I've been contemplating, yeah. Especially toward the beginning/early middle, to highlight the types of deck builds available. As well as some big mission effects, yeah.

And good point about how the player feels self-conditions more than enemy-conditions. I hadn't thought of that. I'll add some more with an eye to that, I think.

Card balance:

I think you're probably right about the hackers, yeah. I made them a bit tougher so that it's not totally hopeless if you don't draw Smoke Grenade immediately and need to hold on for a few turns, but given the power of Smoke Grenade, it's probably reasonable to tone both the hackers and the grenade down, and just leave it up to people to ensure have enough search cards to get the combo they need. I do intend for people to need to build anti-hacker decks to take them on, but they probably shouldn't be a guaranteed win in all but the matches where they face strong anti-hacking.

I also think you're right that the skew toward Mechs and higher cost cards is because they're generally strong without needing much clever strategy or luck with the draw.

How did you find the early game rush cards, though?  Buff Nem0 or Wei with guns or Aggro, combine them with Reroute and Assassinate, and you can grab a lot of OP quickly. Blackjack and Selina are also terrifying.

Also, T-Boz's firepower boost might not seem like a lot, in the beginning, but he can boost the effective kill rate of cards like Open Fire and Rutger's sniping quite nicely, establishing lane dominance.

But you might be right in that, with guaranteed credits and a 50 OP target, the cheaper Agents can't really do enough to compete with mid-tier agents for a place in your deck. I'll look at maybe boosting a few of them.

Regarding the reward system - I hear you, a couple of testers have complained about not getting cards the AI has used against them, either not getting them at all or not until the end game.

There are a couple of ways to approach this, as I see it.

1) The simplest/least disruptive is to go through the campaign and simply award certain key cards directly for certain missions. Selina when you complete her mission chain, Smoke Grenade when you face some Mercs, that kind of thing. The disadvantage is that you might still miss some cards, but so long as it's not the lynchpin cards, that might be ok?

2) As you said, open all cards up to being purchased from the beginning, or in tiers at certain points in the game. It has all the pros and cons you outlined. My main concern there is, as you point out, sucking some of the joy of discovery from being awarded a cool new card for the first time, or facing it for the first time when an opponent uses it on you.

3) A third progression track or currency that unlocks cards that you haven't been awarded in the Black Market. Some games have gold and gems as two currencies, SC might have an alternative, rare currency that lets you unlock cards you haven't yet been awarded. It could be "data" (you acquire coveted data files on your runs that clients will trade you in favours for) or "prestige" (as you perform missions, your rep in the Runner Underworld grows, and new black market offerings are unlocked.) It still runs the risk of robbing from the sense of discovery, though, if you can browse the cards you could potentially unlock. This is the option that involves the most work, though, and potentially introduces more bugs.

I'll think about it a bit and see what I can come up with.

Again, thanks for the feedback man, it's extremely helpful. And I'm really happy you had a blast with the game. The ITS board members have some of the highest standards, so hearing that folks from around here are enjoying my game is high praise indeed! Grin

Salute Salute Salute

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
MaximillionMiles

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2015, 12:18:36 am »

Regarding variety in the missions, a little goes a long way. Don't stress too much trying to change a lot, ok? 3 or 4 different matches will already make a nice difference, if placed strategically.

About cheap cards Vs expensive cards. Cheap cards CAN be very strong, I never said they weren't. I've seen what a T-boz can do in the right decks, and it's definitely viable. BUT for T-boz to be effective I would say you need at least around 8 direct damage cards in your deck as well as 4 T-Boz, for the combo to work, with a bit of luck. It gets even better once you can also add, say, Jack or Rutger. If you haven't unlocked the right cards yet though T-boz by himself is useless.

Hendricks, on the other hand, is Hendricks. Uncomplicated but definitely an asset is most decks and unless you're doing really badly you should live long enough to put him down in your game.

It's a lot easier to put Hendricks in your deck than to put a T-boz, is what I'm getting at. At least early game, when you haven't unlocked too many cards to create combos. Does that make sense?
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2015, 02:57:48 am »

Yeah, makes sense.

And cool, I'll see where I can strategically place some mission variety. Wink

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: