Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGRPG DiscussionBattleTech - new KS from Harebrained
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BattleTech - new KS from Harebrained  (Read 9457 times)
suibhne
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2015, 01:31:32 pm »

As promised a few months back, HBS has launched a new project:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech

Single-player, turn-based. HBS is self-funding to the tune of $1M+, so the KS campaign is on top of that (just like Shadowrun: Hong Kong).

The campaign hit its $250K goal within an hour.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 08:57:39 pm »

Awesome!
SagaDC
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 09:10:19 pm »

Looking forward to seeing what they do with it. I'll probably end up tossing in a low-tier bid, but I think the thing I'm most looking forward to is the single-player campaign they're offering as one of the stretch goals. They haven't reached it yet, but I'm sure they'll be there before the end of the week.
melkathi
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 06:19:41 am »

I hope they manage to make the game with a single player campaign.
Bu after the SR kickstarter I do not trust them enough to throw money at them on a kickstarter. I'll get it once it releases and people have posted their impressions.
Nick
Administrator

En Taro Adun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 08:04:56 am »

$903,950 already.

"But is the best good enough?"
Oscar
Imbecile
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 11:04:34 am »

Yeah, I'll chip in when they hit the 1m mark having enjoyed the Shadowrun games. Definitely a case of when and not if.
suibhne
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 11:16:26 am »

I hope they manage to make the game with a single player campaign.
Bu after the SR kickstarter I do not trust them enough to throw money at them on a kickstarter. I'll get it once it releases and people have posted their impressions.

Really? I've found HBS one of the best Kickstarter devs overall. They met all their promises (that I saw, anyway) and released tons of free updates/improvements, and they've also self-funded rather than relying solely on backer funding (which is the same approach they're taking on this project). And their trajectory of improvement from project to project has been super-impressive. I can certainly understand being disappointed with the original SR game, but I haven't seen any reason to think HBS isn't trustworthy.
melkathi
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 12:03:55 pm »

Let's not start the whole "DRM Free" discussion again Smile
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 01:36:11 pm »

I've wanted a turn-based mech game since I first owned a computer at the end of the last century. The only one I ever played was Mission Force Cyber Storm, a not bad at all take on the genre.

Plot was you were director of a massively wealthy space mining conglomerate, at war with another company (or alien invaders?). You simultaneously outfitted a small fleet of different mechs and grew clones for pilots. Some clones were kind of monkeyish looking, others looked like babies with overgrown craniums. If a pilot didn't perform, he could be recycled.

--NEW TOPIC--
BATTLETECH is in development for PC, Mac, and Linux in English and will be delivered in standard and DRM-free versions on Steam, GoG, and Humble stores.

So what reason is there for a DRM-free discussion?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 01:40:22 pm by Scott » Logged

contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal:Arbiter's Mark | Stygian
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Encased | ATOM RPG | Realms Beyond | Fell Seal:Missions&Monsters | Urtuk: The Desolation
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 01:49:36 pm »

Looking at the stretch goals, they could scrap all of the second tier, after $1,000,000 and up to $2,000,000 and I'd be happier. Cut scenes? Voiceovers? Shit, I'd pay more to keep them out of the game.

contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal:Arbiter's Mark | Stygian
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Encased | ATOM RPG | Realms Beyond | Fell Seal:Missions&Monsters | Urtuk: The Desolation
melkathi
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 02:56:03 pm »

--NEW TOPIC--
BATTLETECH is in development for PC, Mac, and Linux in English and will be delivered in standard and DRM-free versions on Steam, GoG, and Humble stores.

So what reason is there for a DRM-free discussion?

This time around none. But we have seen them make that promise before. Shadowrun Returns, Bakcer Update #49, 10th April 2013.
SagaDC
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 03:47:49 pm »

This time around none. But we have seen them make that promise before. Shadowrun Returns, Bakcer Update #49, 10th April 2013.

True, but that was the result of extenuating circumstances, wasn't it? My understanding was that the only reason it ever came into doubt was because Microsoft suddenly ambushed them about licensing issues. They never deliberately mislead anyone.
melkathi
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 04:01:07 am »

True, but that was the result of extenuating circumstances, wasn't it? My understanding was that the only reason it ever came into doubt was because Microsoft suddenly ambushed them about licensing issues. They never deliberately mislead anyone.

More that they had forgotten the clause in their licensing agreement. Microsoft seems to actually have been the "good guy" for once, agreeing to a limited DRM free version for backers so that the promise could be kept in word even if not in spirit.

I can understand that, when faced with some long legal document people will not remember every clause. But the communication and timing of the communication was what truly offended a lot of people. You break a promise for whatever reason, and instead of writing a nice apology to your backers, you add it as a side-note and tell them they should actually be happy about it? Yeah... no thanks.
robaki

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 02:39:10 am »

an interview with Jordan Weisman about Battletech:

suibhne
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 08:43:46 am »

With 8 days to go, they're at about $2M (of their $250K goal). They're still well south of the $2.5M threshold for PvP multiplayer, but I'm guessing they'll get there via Paypal even if they don't reach it in the next week.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: