Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGThe Age of DecadenceLore - not just for loremasters!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lore - not just for loremasters!  (Read 39345 times)
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2009, 02:56:27 pm »

Three different lore-based scenarios.

[attachment deleted to save space]
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 04:04:43 pm by Vince » Logged

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Anonxeuix

Malteser.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 03:06:13 pm »

Nice. You can feel the atmosphere in the first two pictures too.

"I don't take drugs: I am drugs." - Salvador Dali
serious
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 03:11:43 pm »

Nice pics and nice dialogues, too ... but what's the question ?

I suppose the different dialogue options are due too different skill-levels of the PC, or aren't they ?
caster
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 03:23:28 pm »

Tent looks great and very appropriate. NPC models are great.
And Lore seems very usefull.
I wonder what happens when you folow the guard to the other tent to "rest"?
Nice gradation of additional lines there.

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! - Albert Einstein

The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 04:15:47 pm »

I wonder what happens when you folow the guard to the other tent to "rest"?
You'll be attacked and will have to fight at a disadvantage. If you're a good fighter, you can make it. If you know what's coming, you can attack first and may even kill the bondsman in the text-based mode, similar to this:

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=149.0;attach=854;image
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=149.0;attach=856;image

If you recall, the outcomes were:

2a. The bolt head pierces the guard's unprotected throat, cutting the arteries and flooding the windpipe with blood. His eyes roll up and he falls down without a sound.
-
2b. The guard moves to the side and the bolt head tears a wound in his neck, missing the vitals. Blood gushes out and the suddenly pale guard charges at you. (loses 5HP per turn, penalty to hit 20%)
-
2c. The guard swiftly moves to the side and hits you with the pommel of his sword. He smiles unpleasantly, showing rotten teeth, and charges at you.

serious
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 04:41:37 pm »

2a. The bolt head pierces the guard's unprotected throat, cutting the arteries and flooding the windpipe with blood. His eyes roll up and he falls down without a sound.
-
2b. The guard moves to the side and the bolt head tears a wound in his neck, missing the vitals. Blood gushes out and the suddenly pale guard charges at you. (loses 5HP per turn, penalty to hit 20%)
-
2c. The guard swiftly moves to the side and hits you with the pommel of his sword. He smiles unpleasantly, showing rotten teeth, and charges at you.

Very interesting ... sounds like combat in dialogue, huh ? I like the idea ! Grin

But, somehow, it also reminds me of some text-adventures I played. Tongue
caster
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 04:55:48 pm »

So many choices... so many outcomes... oh sweet torment.
And i can even throw my crossbow to the guard and attack him with a bolt in my hand... man... that is beautiful.
Glory to the text box!
(maybe not in this particular case with the khan but thats beside the point)

Question: will we have opportunity  to use such awesome possibilities as that one provided by the almighty text box in the Demo too?

This mechanic would be perfect to easily implement true non-lethal combat. How is it triggered exactly in different situations?

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! - Albert Einstein

The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.
Bobrikov
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 05:40:01 pm »

Good stuff, reminds me of messing around with people through dialog in VtmB. And the location looks rather swank too, love those little details. The only thing that ticked my eye is the central roof pole as Mongolian ger's usually have two or more roof poles supporting the crown. A rather minor detail though I would say so don't go delaying the release with a massive ger overhaul. Tongue

« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 05:41:34 pm by Bobrikov » Logged
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 05:54:01 pm »

Very cinematic, I love it Grin

Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 06:26:59 pm »

Question: will we have opportunity  to use such awesome possibilities as that one provided by the almighty text box in the Demo too?
No. The demo is about the combat system.

This mechanic would be perfect to easily implement true non-lethal combat. How is it triggered exactly in different situations?
Similar to fighting Lareth in ToEE. When you fight an NPC, who might be more useful to you alive, and reduce his/her health down to 5HP, a dialogue window kicks in, presenting you with some options, including an option to kill that NPC and get rid of him/her for good.
caster
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 07:00:40 pm »

So its basically scripted for specific NPCs. I see.
Is it at all dependent on my PC intelligence or charisma or anything like that or maybe just options i receive in it are?
Or dialogue options in those cases are the same for any character build?

Little bit off topic, i know, but im curious about details.

On topic, what other things our lore will give us other then understanding foreign languages? Any other specifics you can share?

I presume we can increase it like any other skill ... or it can be increased also by finding and studying ancient scripts, books etc.

Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 07:44:32 pm »

Is it at all dependent on my PC intelligence or charisma or anything like that or maybe just options i receive in it are?
Or dialogue options in those cases are the same for any character build?
The same, of course. Here is an example:

"Wait! It's not too late, just listen to me. We work for House Aurelian. Help me and the most powerful House will be in your debt. Kill me and you'll get a handful of coins from your masters. What's it going to be, assassin?"

1. "You died when I accepted the contract. There is no way out now."
2. "What kind of help?"

On topic, what other things our lore will give us other then understanding foreign languages? Any other specifics you can share?
A lot of things.

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=444.msg13217#msg13217

"You examine the symbols. The language is unknown to you, but the message is short and probably of no importance.

or

[lore] You examine the symbols. They look like an archaic form of Seltu, the language of several northern tribes, known for their contribution to the art of raiding and pillaging. The message says "The trap killed three. Watch your seventh step."

1. Go in
2. Proceed slowly, examining every inch of the walls and the floor.
3. Take six steps and examine the area. (you get this option only if you read the message)
4. Leave."

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=231.msg6526#msg6526

You spend an hour turning a blank parchment into a document mentioning the Imperial Guards, urgent matters, and free passage. You add a fancy looking seal as a finishing touch and give the scroll to the guildmaster.

or

You spend an hour turning a blank parchment into an official document stating that the Imperial Guards are given free passage. You accurately copy the seal of House Daratan and give the scroll to the guildmaster.

or

You spend an hour turning a blank parchment into an impressive looking document granting the Imperial Guards the right of free passage and requesting full cooperation from Teron's guards and guilds' authorities. Your seal of House Daratan looks more authentic than the original you copied it from. You sign the mandate and give the scroll to the guildmaster.

Yes, lore helps you forge documents. Very useful.

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=149.msg5653#msg5653

"[disguise] I *am* a lord. Call me a peasant one more time and I'll cut your insolent tongue off!
My apologies, lord….?
Taliades. I'm sure you've heard that name before.
It's an honor, your lordship. I was always impressed by the battle your House won at Nicaea.

1. Yes, it was a great battle, wasn't it? Nice of you to remember.
2. [lore] My House had fought for the Emperor at Trudoth, East Beck, and Stanias. Since you don't know what you're talking about, stop wasting my time and open that door!"

Etc.

I presume we can increase it like any other skill ... or it can be increased also by finding and studying ancient scripts, books etc.
Yes. It can be increased by reading certain things.
caster
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 08:35:46 pm »

That is mega cool.
Deciphering ancient symbols and solving traps, forgery, disguise...
DnD... eat your heart out.

Etc.
One eyebrow raises with a slow drawn out squeak.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 09:38:44 am by caster » Logged

Julius
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 09:22:42 pm »

So when is this coming out.

8)

Panic

GAME MUST BE RELEASED
kyosuke
DS Gold Patrons

I am hungry.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 06:00:26 am »

So when is this coming out.

8)

Panic

Ah.
The perennial question.
Wish it's within the 1st half of the year.

I lurk.
And I have an weird sense of humour.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: