Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGSystem Crash (Moderator: Gareth)Beta 1.2.1.0 released!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Beta 1.2.1.0 released!  (Read 7861 times)
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« on: July 13, 2015, 03:52:15 pm »

*drumroll*

Beta 1.2.1.0 is out!

Yes, I'm not dead, and neither is System Crash. Just very, very tired.

Friends, I need your help testing the campaign missions. I am long past the ability to objectively evaluate my own game.  lol

So please, grab a copy and let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 01:46:20 am by Gareth » Logged

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
Ansa
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 04:37:25 pm »

Wallbang
Uh, cannot download dude, bad link...
it opens
"http://%22http//garethfouche.com/beta-1-2-1-0-is-here%22"

and "This webpage is not available"

fixed the link and found the installer, but you might want to fix the one here
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 04:39:22 pm by Ansa » Logged

Looking at cleavage is like looking at the sun. You can't stare at it long, it's too risky. You get a sense of it then you look away.
Ansa
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 05:12:12 pm »

Man, I posted this awhile ago, not sure you read it at release 1.1 topic

Ok, here goes some rambling after finishing the demo campaign:

1) Tutorial

Great tutorial too, but considering how popular Hearthstone is, everybody should know the drill already, so the public is ready lol.

You may want to include a screenshot of an example card in the tutorial, with arrows explaining:
- where the damage/health/costs/special abilities are exactly
- where are buffs/debuffs

Also the card inactivity and +1 armor upon playing it should be highlighted somehow.
Generally, something similar to Hearthstone tutorial where it explains the card stats and statuses.

2) Chits, Lands and manafucks

Ok, this is coming from a guy who played every MTG game released on Steam (from 2013 to 2015) and A LOT of Hearthstone on legendary ladder in Europe.

The one thing I dislike in the core of MTG and SC here is having to include/play lands in your deck  Wallbang

This is what makes slow openings and manafucks real and frustrating in MTG, and this is exactly what they fixed in Hearthstone with +1 mana every turn up to 10, so you:
- cannot be manafucked, leading to proper progression into lategame with *fair* chances for both players
- always draw or topdeck something interesting instead of frustrating "just another land, omfg"
- have always something to do unless you are REALLY unlucky on the draw and pulled out your whole lategame into your starting hand
- with a 10 mana limit cannot overpower your opponent by playing a bunch of bombs in one turn (questionable)

Generally, this makes sure as the game progresses, everyone has *fair* chances and is more about how their decks are built instead of their pure luck of drawing some chits early game and drawing more bombs late game.

I understand it's in the core of the game right now, but really worth looking at.
It will make combat and deckbuilding much more simplier, just make 30-40 card decks.
Also, the whole Hearthstone crowd will be exactly at home with this mechanic.

And that being said - with lands removal you can honestly completely get rid of clunky MTG "Stages", and have a player do his turn completely fluid (same as Hearthstone, man just trust the Blizzard guys on this, they know how to make fluid and competitive games).
So you can just play your agents/tactics/whatever and end the turn with 1 button click, done - no need to click confirmations several times.
It would simplify the game really, getting rid of most stuff which makes MTG mechanics so clunky and hard to understand for newcomers.

Another point is - attacks in SC are done automatically, so there is no MTG-required different stages per se, where you require player to click what he wants to attack/block, or intercept/counterspell - you don't have and don't need these "stage" mechanics, so it may be done so much more simpler.

So, the fluid game flow in general goes like this:
- start a turn for the player, say "Your turn!"
- resolve / tick / finish any active effects/buffs/tactics/whatever which were supposed to be done at the *start* of turn
- draw a card (burn it if excessive)
- give control to player, player clicks the stuff he wants to play and clicks "End turn"
- perform attacks / resolve / tick / finish any active effects/buffs/tactics which were supposed to be done at the *end* of turn
- move to the opponent for the same

I've seen you discussing this in design topics, but realistically, if you are aiming to please the generic crowd and overall make better player experience - the clunky MTG stuff has to go away...
Removing lands completely and adding a chit every turn removes alot of player frustration due to manafucking and makes games so much more active, albeit a little bit predictable.
But let's face it, anyway you WANT to play a land every turn and reap the full mana pool with your plays, if you are not doing it - something is wrong with your luck and draw, not even with your skill or the deck, which it is supposed to be about, right?

At the very least, if you are dead-set on leaving the MTG system in, to speed things up could use auto-ending of stages, when you have used everything at your disposal - can skip some stages if you have nothing to do in them, to keep it going faster

I understand this is somewhat of a hot topic, but just think about it. Peace.

3) Excess confirmations and discarding

Playing a buff on something or debuff on comething asks for one more click on "Play" button, which feels really excessive.
I understand it is there to prevent misplays, but it feels more clunky than helpful, just getting rid of this extra confirmation will add some momentum to the game flow.

Also, the discarding should be a bit better explained, like in MTG 2014, when you have to discard it gives a clear message "Discard X card(s)".
Quite a few times I clicked discards thinking I am playing a card lol, cause its highlighted in the same way.
Also, again for more fluid gameplay, you can think about additional burning mechanic, which is also quite fun - instead of forcing a player to discard, you can just burn incoming excessive card(s) on start of turn.

4) No timed turns

This is more of a multi-player thing, definitely going to be needed when you plug MP in (if you plan to)

5) Arena

No idea how much wins needed to progress arena.
Won 3 games in a row on Easy against the same guy, the Medium still not unlocking?
Need some progress counter towards unlocking, or just a mouseover tooltip saying how much more wins I need to unlock the difficulty, anything.
Also, ideally, would be nice to change the opponent (just a portrait and some flavor text) for every fight, or can cheat around that for less coding lol - just plain randomize them (make sure they don't repeat though lol), so player gets a feeling he is always fighting different deckers

6) Your hero

Your hero is not really shown much anywhere and does not have any special abilities/backstory.
Maybe put a profile portrait with nickname somewhere in the bottom left corner of city map, with some stuff on hover - just so you get more connected with the char you picked and playing now.
You can also align this portrait with phone answers block, so it feels even more like you're talking to someone (JoJo etc).

As for special abilities - hard to say, need to play around that, but would be nice to pick a portrait and special ability with it to go into special Tactic slot

Maybe something like:
- 1 healing to random friendly Agent every turn
- 1 repair to random friendly Mech every turn
- 1 damage to random enemy Agent/Mech every turn
- 1 armor to friendly Agents (or Mechs).. could be overpowered lol
- drain 1 OP from enemy every turn and add to yours
and so on and on, numerous small random things which can be cool to pick and play around, and make you feel your char is somehow special

Nothing gamebreaking, but you are going to pick something you like and have a feeling that your hero is unique.
There is a lot of room to play around it.

7) No early game Mechs Sad

Granted, I have not seen full decks in demo, but it feels like some Mech-focused decks could be cool.
And Enforcer plays based on them, with +1 for every Mech/security dude.
And some Corrosive Acid or EMP grenades on top of it - same as Neurotoxin, but for Mechs (?)
This is more of a deck lists stuff, but definitely something to think about.

8) Deckbulding, Shop and in-game goodies

Would be nicer to split deckbuilding and shopping really.
Like, "Black Market" for shopping cards and in-game purchases, and "Deck Builder" is specifically for managing your deck out of your total pool of cards.
Because currently buying a card is a small button you got to find at the bottom of the shop UI there - while being a VERY important part of the game.
Thats your money man and you have to approach shopping very carefully Salute
In general, it should be much better highlighted where to spend your goldz and real moneys.

And of course, the in-game shop has to offer goldz/cards, for those impatient players overloaded with real moneys - and it will milk A LOT, trust me.
This is just another neat way to monetize the game man, so you can focus on sweet stuff, like cards, animations and DLC campaigns.
Can sell as some gold packages or some card packages, this is basic marketing man, just look how Riot, Games Workshop and Blizzard are doing it.

9) "Buy now" at the end of demo

Clicking it does not sell anything, just redirects to a website (which has an empty first scroll by the way, making the page look empty, maybe only in Chrome? Try it in different browsers)
So, I couldn't buy the game even if I wanted.
Should link this to website store page or Steam store or something, it will sell man

Take care and waiting for this to show up on Steam anytime soon  Salute
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 05:20:05 pm by Ansa » Logged

Looking at cleavage is like looking at the sun. You can't stare at it long, it's too risky. You get a sense of it then you look away.
Ansa
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 06:27:50 pm »

Now, the bug/issue feedback on actual 1.2 version

- Pressing numbers on keyboard does not activate dialogue responses
Can only mouse click them, even though they are numbered 1.. 2... etc

- Zeke doesn't have any descriptions on mouseover

- When there is nothing to do in Main Phase could really just skip it forward, gotta press that "Continue" button for nothing

- Man, please, give at LEAST 1 Artemis card on start. They are fucking OP in AI hands, and with +4 OP/turn cards flying around, a must have right away!

- Still no actual purchase link on the website

And now the hard bug:

- After playing some I quit the game, and cannot launch it anymore, neither in windowed nor in fullscreen, it just hangs with a grey screen after "Unity" logo
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 10:29:19 pm by Ansa » Logged

MaximillionMiles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 10:29:42 pm »

Didn't have much time to play. This is what I had on my first few hours of play through:

- You changed the game a lot. It feels quite different from its previous incarnations.
-I like the story and campaign a lot better. Feels more organic with the timer, and it involves the player more. Curious to see how it develops.
-I won without being defeated by all except NeonMongers, to whom I lost twice (different neons, I can send save files later) and I lost 3 times against SecNet or somesuch. It was a really strong hacking deck.
-I think the decks that defeated me had one advantage: they were very specialized. In the early stages the player's deck is unfocused, and any focused decks have a big advantage over it. The more focused the deck, the bigger the advantage.
-Also, focus is now a thing. As in, in the game's previous version you could clear the game with a grab-bag of random, strong cards. You could put a hacking card in the middle of a Beefy Units deck and do ok. Now, that hacking card is pretty much dead weight. Before, synergy helped, but wasn't essential. Now, synergy is VERY important.

Bugs:

In my second game had a weird bug where I played a card and, for some reason, it would play another card. The card beside it, I think, but I'm not sure. It even played impossible cards that I could not afford. Then it played Open Fire instead of a unit and the game stopped, most likely because it could not understand playing that card in a friendly space with no unit. Next iteration of the game did not have that. Will try to replicate later.

The Quest Log sometimes begins rolled up, and it takes some fiddling for it to go back down. I think that is caused by having the mouse over where the Quest Log would be when you enter the Mission Map. Annoying, but nothing major.

I was hovering over a card as I won, and the card information did not disappear as the Victory screen appeared. Could still click things normally and it disappeared when I went back to the Mission Map. Again, no big deal, just weird.

That's all. It's taking me a while to get used to the game, and I feel some missions could be toned down a tad, unless you want early game to be quite challenging. Still, the joy of seeing my formless and weak deck start developing a strategy of its own, based on the random cards I get, is awesome. Smile

Will be busy this week. Maybe post some feedback later, or during the weekend. Hope this early feedback helps, at least with the bugs.
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 06:26:20 am »

@Ansa:

Ah, thanks for picking up the issue with the link, that's what I get for releasing late at night. Fixed now. Wink

And yeah, I saw your feedback on the last beta, sorry if I was unresponsive there.

But you'll note a few changes in the game, like resource cards are out! You were right, it's something I've felt and others have brought up too, resource cards add little to the game other than the possibility of being resource screwed early on. It also fucks up campaign progression, as around 1 in 5 games you'd win just because the AI got unlucky on their resource draw.

I'll look into the confirmations and prompts, but it can be confusing to players if phases are skipped without their input. Perhaps I'll add in a toggle to auto-skip when you're out of actions, for 'expert' players. Wink

The Arena Unlocks as you play the campaign. At the moment it's basically just "when you get this far, medium tournaments unlock". I contemplated adding a Prestige currency that you accumulate that gates it instead, but at this point I want to get the game out and I'm pretty much feature locked.

I'm thinking that in an expansion I'll flesh out the Arena, make it more dynamic with progression ladders and possibly dialogues etc around it. And maybe I will bring in that Prestige currency then.

The points about your Hero are good, I'll look at adding in the extra portraits. For now, Heroes aren't going to have an ability, but it's something I might introduce in the future, I do like the idea. I have a lot of plans for System Crash expansions and even a sequel, so keep watching this space. Smile

There are now some early game mechs. Wink

You can't buy the game from the Buy Now link as it's not up for sale yet. This is just the beta, once the game is ready for at least pre-order I'll put the shop page up. Smile

For your second post:

- Pressing numbers on keyboard does not activate dialogue responses
Can only mouse click them, even though they are numbered 1.. 2... etc

I'll look into it.

- Zeke doesn't have any descriptions on mouseover

Yeah, he's got no special abilities. I'll add some flavour though.

- When there is nothing to do in Main Phase could really just skip it forward, gotta press that "Continue" button for nothin

See above. Wink

- Man, please, give at LEAST 1 Artemis card on start. They are fucking OP in AI hands, and with +4 OP/turn cards flying around, a must have right away!

Nah, I want you to sweat a bit. Wink

I *might* relent and give you one after the first hacker battle.

- Still no actual purchase link on the website

Soon.

And now the hard bug:

- After playing some I quit the game, and cannot launch it anymore, neither in windowed nor in fullscreen, it just hangs with a grey screen after "Unity" logo

Urk, now that's a serious problem. Sad

You should only have that problem if something broke loading game data. Can you send me your save file please? I'll test it. It's in INSTALL_DIR\System Crash_Data\Gameplay\Profiles\YOUR_PROFILE.prof

Send it through to roguemoonstudios aaaaaat gmail you know the rest.

@MaximulionMiles:

Thanks! And yeah, deck focus was something I worked to make a much bigger deal. That's the key to a stronger deck, it's also how difficulty scales in the campaign. The AI decks start off fairly unfocused, and as the campaign goes on they tighten their focus on certain strategies. This demo actually only includes easy opponent decks, so not super focused. I think the easy hacking deck is probably the most focused of the early decks, which is why it seemed much stronger. It also gave me trouble, I might need to tone it down a little.

In my second game had a weird bug where I played a card and, for some reason, it would play another card. The card beside it, I think, but I'm not sure. It even played impossible cards that I could not afford. Then it played Open Fire instead of a unit and the game stopped, most likely because it could not understand playing that card in a friendly space with no unit. Next iteration of the game did not have that. Will try to replicate later.

Hmm, thanks for pointing that out, might be a rollover issue. I'll try mousing down on one card and mousing up on its neighbor, maybe. That might confuse the game as to what card it's trying to play, and yeah, trying to push an event card into an Agent slot will bugger it up.

The Quest Log sometimes begins rolled up, and it takes some fiddling for it to go back down. I think that is caused by having the mouse over where the Quest Log would be when you enter the Mission Map. Annoying, but nothing major.

Yes, quite possibly. I'll maybe put in a slight delay on when it starts reading mouseover.

I was hovering over a card as I won, and the card information did not disappear as the Victory screen appeared. Could still click things normally and it disappeared when I went back to the Mission Map. Again, no big deal, just weird.

Will take a look.

That's all. It's taking me a while to get used to the game, and I feel some missions could be toned down a tad, unless you want early game to be quite challenging. Still, the joy of seeing my formless and weak deck start developing a strategy of its own, based on the random cards I get, is awesome. Smile

That's great! And yeah I do want the early game to be a fairly easy ride. To put it in perspective, this beta is 13 of around 100 missions, so it should be fairly easy to get through.

Hope this early feedback helps, at least with the bugs.

It does! Thanks man, appreciate it. Smile

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 08:24:39 am »

Ansa, are you playing with Admin rights or not?

I write save files to the game directory instead of my documents, it looks like that might be causing a problem for people running the game without administrator level access.

My blog
Ansa
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 02:36:51 pm »

Ansa, are you playing with Admin rights or not?

I write save files to the game directory instead of my documents, it looks like that might be causing a problem for people running the game without administrator level access.

Sent you the profile.

- Yes man I have admin rights on my rig of course.

- I installed it into default directory on Windows 8:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\System Crash Beta 1.2.1.0\System Crash_Data\Gameplay\Profiles\"

- Also attaching here the profile and output log

Still cannot run it anymore.
Maybe you can figure it out? :/

http://www.filedropper.com/user001
http://www.filedropper.com/outputlog_1

« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 02:47:07 pm by Ansa » Logged

Ansa
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 02:46:01 pm »

@Ansa:
Ah, thanks for picking up the issue with the link, that's what I get for releasing late at night. Fixed now. Wink
And yeah, I saw your feedback on the last beta, sorry if I was unresponsive there.
But you'll note a few changes in the game, like resource cards are out! You were right, it's something I've felt and others have brought up too, resource cards add little to the game other than the possibility of being resource screwed early on. It also fucks up campaign progression, as around 1 in 5 games you'd win just because the AI got unlucky on their resource draw.

Yes man, this change is awesome, the combat is much more fluid and brutal now!
And AI overall is performing much, much better.

I'll look into the confirmations and prompts, but it can be confusing to players if phases are skipped without their input. Perhaps I'll add in a toggle to auto-skip when you're out of actions, for 'expert' players. Wink

Definitely, please, this will really improve the gameflow

The Arena Unlocks as you play the campaign. At the moment it's basically just "when you get this far, medium tournaments unlock". I contemplated adding a Prestige currency that you accumulate that gates it instead, but at this point I want to get the game out and I'm pretty much feature locked.

I'm thinking that in an expansion I'll flesh out the Arena, make it more dynamic with progression ladders and possibly dialogues etc around it. And maybe I will bring in that Prestige currency then.

I understand man, but at least some progress bar or counter is needed to understand how much games you need ot progress further in Arena

The points about your Hero are good, I'll look at adding in the extra portraits. For now, Heroes aren't going to have an ability, but it's something I might introduce in the future, I do like the idea. I have a lot of plans for System Crash expansions and even a sequel, so keep watching this space. Smile

As a quick thing, at least a portrait of my Hero next to my text responses when talking on phone would be nice enough I think

There are now some early game mechs. Wink

Love them Smile

You can't buy the game from the Buy Now link as it's not up for sale yet. This is just the beta, once the game is ready for at least pre-order I'll put the shop page up. Smile

Ah okay.
Just look into the game website having the whole first scroll empty - at least in Chrome.

Nah, I want you to sweat a bit. Wink
I *might* relent and give you one after the first hacker battle.

Yes please at least 1, because some fights I outright lost simply because AI has drawn and spammed all his OP cards, from direct Hacking to OP/turn tactics, and I simply cannot do anything about this, quite frustrating.

Cheers man
Check the post about hanging issue

Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 05:00:43 pm »

On the game running issue, 2 questions:

1)Where did you install SC to?

2) And what User Account Control settings are you using? You can check on Control Panel->User Accounts->Change User Account Control Settings. Will show you a dialogue with a bar indicating what level your UAC settings are at.

I suspect you've installed to Program Files, and your UAC level is such that the program doesn't have rights to read and modify the save file like it needs to, unless you run as admin. I managed to replicate the issue under those conditions.

My blog
Ansa
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 05:47:23 pm »

So, in retrospect:
- Initial installation and launch went fine, the game ran
- After a play session I closed the game using "Logout" in main menu
- After that, trying to launch it again results in grey screen hangup right after "Unity" logo
- Running it via right-click on the icon and "Run as admin" fixed the issue

The install folder is default, and my UAC setting is 0 ("never notify")
I am admin on computer
I have never before ran into access issues with any other games, and they write their stuff anywhere on PC, from "my documents" folder to whatnot

I think in general, you got to use "my documents" default folder and avoid storing temporary stuff in "Program Files" folders, as this will definitely result in more of these weird access bugs

« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 07:07:01 pm by Ansa » Logged

Ansa
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 06:57:50 pm »

Well, in 13 missions available in demo, no hard bugs were discovered except the weird admin launch thing

- is Electronet supposed to be usable on Mechs? it does say it affects "target Agent..." in description

Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 03:04:57 am »

Yeah, the Electronet is supposed to work on Mechs. Technically, Mechs are "Mech Agents".

Agents are the supertype for all "creatures". Smile

Yeah, I think I'll need to switch where the save files are saved, if you install the game to Program Files windows gets fussy about that.

Did you have UAC set to 0 when you installed SC to program files? It sets permissions on install, so you can't install with UAC on, set it down to 0 and that fixes it. I was only able to replicate the issue when I had UAC on ( and restarted so it took effect ) AND I installed to Program Files.

Otherwise I don't get that issue.

Well, in 13 missions available in demo, no hard bugs were discovered except the weird admin launch thing

Whew! Smile

My blog
Ansa
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 12:58:41 pm »

Did you have UAC set to 0 when you installed SC to program files? It sets permissions on install, so you can't install with UAC on, set it down to 0 and that fixes it. I was only able to replicate the issue when I had UAC on ( and restarted so it took effect ) AND I installed to Program Files.
Otherwise I don't get that issue.

No man, I had UAC set to 0 for quite some time, never changed ever since I disabled it
Anyway, if you just save the stuff in My Documents folder you are good to go

Whew! Smile

Yeah a very stable release Smile)
Just polish the thing and it's good to go, really

Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 03:10:06 pm »

Yeah a very stable release Smile)
Just polish the thing and it's good to go, really

Approve

My blog
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: