Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGThe Shelter - Official Dead State Forum (Moderators: Brian, Caidoz, DrunkZombie, Christina, Jonathan, SunwardMold)That final unreached kickstarter goal: zones of control
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: That final unreached kickstarter goal: zones of control  (Read 5869 times)
veryinky
Expert

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2015, 08:06:04 pm »

$360k - Mini-Expansion For Backers After Release (Adds military-grade weapons and zones of control)

What would it have been? Zones of control like in Age of Decay (people with spears poke enemies before they approach, leaving a square next to a melee opponent allows an Attack Of Opportunity) or something involving the world map?
speaker2
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 09:38:58 pm »

(click to show/hide)

M60 is a must, rambo style  Cool

Caidoz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 09:51:11 am »

I think it would have been something like the gang war feature of GTA.  Map gets sectioned off between player, military, militia, and coyotes, and then your choices and actions in the game will shrink or expand territories.  Would likely have affected what kind of enemies you would face, that kind of thing.

"A gang of crazed druggie looters could sneak up and rip open our gate with their PCP meth strength - I mean, haven't you ever played a post-apocalyptic role-playing game before?"
speaker2
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 10:33:50 am »

I think it would have been something like the gang war feature of GTA.  Map gets sectioned off between player, military, militia, and coyotes, and then your choices and actions in the game will shrink or expand territories.  Would likely have affected what kind of enemies you would face, that kind of thing.

Maybe even if a found weird to control a place where all the supplie have been loot.
BadVoodoo
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 11:04:45 am »

From what i got from it is some places would've been desired during an apocalypse like maybe a still operating gun factory, water treatment plant or huge warehouse that hasn't been picked clean for whatever reason. I'd imagine controlling such zones would have provide something like 10+ scrap, food, ammo per day by controlling them and sending another group over there or something like that but in order to keep control you'd have to constantly take out whatever faction holds up there. Also maybe a Splendid zone would be constantly be occupied by bandits, and for the Shelters protection this area had to be cleared one in a while or else said bandits would've had a little clubhouse to attack your shelter from. idk tho thats just what i'd imagine it would be.

That being said as im playing the game now i think it might've been shoehorned into Dead State like fort mode in Pillars of Eternity, no offense to either, i dont think they work with the game.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 11:09:00 am by BadVoodoo » Logged

"Twelve hours of work and I still can't sleep. Damn. Days go on and on. They don't end."
speaker2
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 11:08:39 am »

From what i got from it is some places would've been desired during an apocalypse like maybe a still operating gun factory, water treatment plant or huge warehouse that hasn't been picked clean for whatever reason. I'd imagine controlling such zones would have provide something like 10+ scrap, food, ammo per day by controlling them and sending another group over there or something like that but in order to keep control you'd have to constantly take out whatever faction holds up there.

bah to have those running it will require huge power and power is cut.
BadVoodoo
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 11:11:32 am »

From what i got from it is some places would've been desired during an apocalypse like maybe a still operating gun factory, water treatment plant or huge warehouse that hasn't been picked clean for whatever reason. I'd imagine controlling such zones would have provide something like 10+ scrap, food, ammo per day by controlling them and sending another group over there or something like that but in order to keep control you'd have to constantly take out whatever faction holds up there.

bah to have those running it will require huge power and power is cut.
I worked in a few warehouses and i can tell you water treatment plants could operate during a black out if needed. That being said i agree with you, im just giving examples of what i thought the mechanic would be.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 11:14:06 am by BadVoodoo » Logged

"Twelve hours of work and I still can't sleep. Damn. Days go on and on. They don't end."
Zarky
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 11:44:20 am »

From what i got from it is some places would've been desired during an apocalypse like maybe a still operating gun factory, water treatment plant or huge warehouse that hasn't been picked clean for whatever reason. I'd imagine controlling such zones would have provide something like 10+ scrap, food, ammo per day by controlling them and sending another group over there or something like that but in order to keep control you'd have to constantly take out whatever faction holds up there. Also maybe a Splendid zone would be constantly be occupied by bandits, and for the Shelters protection this area had to be cleared one in a while or else said bandits would've had a little clubhouse to attack your shelter from. idk tho thats just what i'd imagine it would be.

That being said as im playing the game now i think it might've been shoehorned into Dead State like fort mode in Pillars of Eternity, no offense to either, i dont think they work with the game.

I think what you're describing is sort of reminiscent of Jagged Alliance 2, no?

While JA2 was and still is a great game, maybe the biggest flaw it had was the auto-combat when defending with militia, which would be that much worse in a game like Dead State, where you have some sort of attachment to the people who'd be dying seemingly randomly. So yeah, you're right, probably wouldn't work.
BadVoodoo
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 03:33:56 pm »

I think what you're describing is sort of reminiscent of Jagged Alliance 2, no?

While JA2 was and still is a great game, maybe the biggest flaw it had was the auto-combat when defending with militia, which would be that much worse in a game like Dead State, where you have some sort of attachment to the people who'd be dying seemingly randomly. So yeah, you're right, probably wouldn't work.

I feel kinda bad, never played JA2 but i keep hearing it here on the forums. For Doublebears sake i feel the need to say that Brian stated he never wanted Dead State to be a tower defense game with horde mode where survivors die unfairly like you described. (if i remember correctly)

The idea i described was enemies maybe endangering your survivors if they control a certain area and you might encounter them more often within a few maps near the zone of control. But this is all speculation. I would like to hear from a dev on what the feature would be like tho. Im kinda curious.

Greyman
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 09:52:34 pm »

That's what I recall from what Brian said at some point, too.
Stormfury
DS Gold Patrons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 08:05:50 pm »

That's what I recall from what Brian said at some point, too.

Man that would have been so cool.  Loved that feature in GTA.

Looking for a small PVE focused Star Citizen Org?
http://www.xenosync.com
CounselorPally
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 03:27:17 pm »

$360k - Mini-Expansion For Backers After Release (Adds military-grade weapons and zones of control)

What would it have been? Zones of control like in Age of Decay (people with spears poke enemies before they approach, leaving a square next to a melee opponent allows an Attack Of Opportunity) or something involving the world map?

It would have opened a new window to Rebuild 3: Gangs of Deadville but with Dead State skins. :-) Because HELL YEAH THAT WOULD BE AWESOME! Smile

My youtube channel has quite a few Dead State vids on it. You can come check it out if you want. http://www.youtube.com/chancepaladin
Caidoz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 05:34:41 pm »

It would have opened a new window to Rebuild 3: Gangs of Deadville but with Dead State skins. :-) Because HELL YEAH THAT WOULD BE AWESOME! Smile

I've been playing that, it's a nice update to the series.

"A gang of crazed druggie looters could sneak up and rip open our gate with their PCP meth strength - I mean, haven't you ever played a post-apocalyptic role-playing game before?"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: