Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Battle Brothers  (Read 3232 times)
melkathi
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 04:53:52 am »

The devs reflect on a week of Early Access and what's ahead:
http://battlebrothersgame.com/recap-one-week-of-early-access/

Event system sounds great. And the battle brother personalities sound a bit like the fun team building in Expeditions: Conquistador
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2015, 09:16:01 am »

The devs' thoughts on the armor system:
----
We put a lot of thought into the armor system and we also thought about the damage reduction system that is mentioned here. When discussing something as important as the armor system you have to keep in mind that in a game like this there will always be a rough simplification of the real world. As much as we want really dedicated people to enjoy a sophisticated armor-system we also have to make sure that we do not go overboard and overcomplicate things.

The damage reduction system has some serious drawbacks that can be overlooked quickly and that are pretty hard to remedy by other game mechanics. As characters stack more and more armor they will become almost invulnerable to low-penetration weapons. This would make armor even more important than it is now. When trying to add a remedy to this by adding armor penetration to all weapons you end up with a paradox result where armor, especially light armor, stops mattering because all weapons (to some degree) penetrate it.

Also, making characters take more hits can be done but the less of an effect a single hit has, the longer the combat draws out, the less exciting it gets and the more you move from a simulation-style game towards a puzzle game where there is hardly any chance/luck/risk involved but it is about figuring out the "right" move. As you have probably read elsewhere that was not what we had in mind when designing the game but we wanted great stories, sudden changes of fate, heroes against all odds and so on. Keep in mind that this is somewhat of a discussion on various tastes and that there is no wrong or right way to do it - but of course we want to explain the thought process behind the current system.

Another point regarding the simplification of the armor system: We had to go for a pretty abstract system as we did not want to overcomplicate the hitzones. It might be realistic for late medieval plate-suits to offer the same level of protection for the whole body but in the game we have a lot of early armor that mostly just covers the vital bodyparts. Other parts like joints, face, shins and so on are mostly unguarded so a hit to one of these areas would almost deal full damage - how do we model this without getting into an extremely detailed hit-zone model?

I agree that the system is very minimalistic in the current state and that we also have to do something to make lighter armor more viable. Also we will have a look at the stat increase on level-up as we feel this is not at the right spot yet. So nothing here is set in stone!
Just wanted to take a step back and share some thoughts on the armor system.
----

IMO, they strike a really nice balance between playability and complex systems.

NewAgeOfPower
Craftsman

Herp Herp

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 12:38:38 am »

News: The dev team quit their day jobs, and are now full time into BB.
suibhne
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2016, 01:09:46 pm »

I can't believe this thread hasn't been touched in almost 1.5 years! The game is still in Early Access, but it sounds like it's made a ton of progress since mid-2015. Full release version is now expected in early 2017.

Regardless, Battle Brothers is getting one of its first sales in, like, ever. It's 20% off on Steam this weekend, for US $15.99:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/365360/
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 01:33:31 pm by suibhne » Logged
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2016, 09:32:40 am »

Been following this one for a while, it looks great. I want to go in fresh when it's finally released though, so maintaining discipline until then. Probably.

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2016, 04:22:40 pm »

I have to hold off, otherwise I get burned out on the game and stop playing before the end. See: Darkest Dungeon.

There's a severely irritating trend now with Early Access games though: continuing to release content and updates for months after the "final" release. On the one hand, I don't want to wait another year after following a game's development for 2 or 3 years, but I also don't want to play 80% of the game, with tiny little dribbles of content being added every week.

Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2016, 04:29:37 am »

Yeah, I had the same experience with Prison Architect. Played alpha enough to see that it was pretty cool, but ran out of goals beyond a certain point.

Then, months later, it doesn't feel as fresh when you go back to it.

These days I just avoid playing during Early Access, even if I have bought the game early to support the devs/get a better price.

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
Wened
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2016, 06:18:00 am »

I have to hold off, otherwise I get burned out on the game and stop playing before the end. See: Darkest Dungeon.

There's a severely irritating trend now with Early Access games though: continuing to release content and updates for months after the "final" release. On the one hand, I don't want to wait another year after following a game's development for 2 or 3 years, but I also don't want to play 80% of the game, with tiny little dribbles of content being added every week.

When i was a kid i would play a new game right after release and then i would play it again after expansion came out.

Today i have 2 choices:

1. Pay full price at release to play unfinished, bugged mess with some parts cut out durring development (for dlc) and with no mods.

OR!

2. Wait 2 Years to pay fraction of oryginall price for a GOTY edition that was properly patched and has some great mods to pick.

Obviously i had not bought any new game in years. If i ever feel tempted to buy one i just go on official forums (or steam forums) to see all the complains about bugs. It always helps.

Maybe devs should not make content updates after release. They should compile all new content into one expansion and release it after few months. It would be better for players (less annoying) and for devs (more money).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 06:21:38 am by Wened » Logged

Ockham's Razor - The only weapon capable of deicide
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2016, 10:35:54 am »

I think indies are much less apt to release buggy games and then patch them. I haven't played a really buggy game in a long time, but I'm also not into AAA games or first person perspective, which is typically really graphically demanding.

Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2016, 02:51:13 pm »

Recent reviews for Battle Brothers are at 97%. Game is to be released Q1 2017.

I did a little writing for this team as well.

Vahha
Testers

S:6 D:10 C:8 P:8 I:9 Ch:4 Sp 7 D 8 CS 7 Cr 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2016, 05:37:35 pm »

I tried out version 0.7.0.12, it's very nice. Attractive graphics, a lot of text, a number of perks to develop, a nice indie gem like Telepath or Knights Of The Chalice.

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”

― George Orwell, 1984
Wened
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2017, 02:05:55 pm »

It will be realeased soon (24.03.17) and it's glorious. Recomended to any fan of tactics games.

Ockham's Razor - The only weapon capable of deicide
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2017, 08:39:12 am »

To anyone still sitting on the fence: what is wrong with you? That's no place to sit and the pickets will rip your pants if you're not careful.

NewAgeOfPower
Craftsman

Herp Herp

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2017, 11:50:49 pm »

I personally disliked how the developers were like "play it OUR WAY OR ELSE YOU'LL RUIN THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE" and ignored the community on multiple issues...

But I'll wait for full release before rendering judgement.
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2017, 09:30:12 am »

I personally disliked how the developers were like "play it OUR WAY OR ELSE YOU'LL RUIN THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE" and ignored the community on multiple issues...
I don't even know if we're talking about the same game. The devs I know have been brilliant, and if they're not giving players what they want, why is their review rating 95% after two years in Early Access?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: