Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Version question  (Read 2853 times)
Venator_Helveticus
Neophyte

Varium et mutabile semper femina. - Vergilius

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2015, 04:19:36 am »

Salvete commilitones!

I beg your pardon if my question is noobish/annoying etc. etc.. I've bought AoD some months ago and wanted to redownload it to play it again. I used the link in the email I got when I bought the game. Now I was wondering: It's still the version named "AoD_Beta_R4_8_1.exe", dated on last july (7.4.14). Is there a more recent version available DRM-free?
Thank you for your help,

V_H
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 05:00:06 am »

BMT's version hasn't been updated in 6 months or so because we spent the last 6 months working on Ganezzar (the third city). We are running an opt-in beta on Steam but can't do the same on BMT. The beta is almost over and we'll update both Steam's EA build and BMT build at the same time.

A week or two at most, I'd say.
Vahha
Testers

S:6 D:10 C:8 P:8 I:9 Ch:4 Sp 7 D 8 CS 7 Cr 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 05:59:22 am »

So, get your Steam key, perhaps http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,3516.0.html

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”

― George Orwell, 1984
Venator_Helveticus
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 06:16:56 am »

Thank you for your answers, gentlemen!
I don't use Steam. But thank you for the possbility. So I'll just wait a little longer then. The game is worth it. Smile
Cheers
Vahha
Testers

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 07:27:21 am »

I'm also totally against Steam, but in this case it's the only viable option, unfortunately.

― George Orwell, 1984
Venator_Helveticus
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 08:32:44 am »

Oh be assured, I perfectly understand your point. I hate Steam like the devil and will never buy anything there, but I see the advantages in development and updating procedures. No problem, I can wait a few weeks more on the DRM-free version. I'm looking forward to it! You are doing a great job here. Smile
pigeonfeller
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 10:01:46 pm »

...why do people hate Steam so?
Venator_Helveticus
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 11:18:06 pm »

It's a long and old story, let's just say I've got my reasons. Wink
Ank
Colonist

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 07:55:05 pm »

...why do people hate Steam so?
For me its the simple fact i need to install/reinstall steam every f'in time i wish to play one of my games on a new virtual machine/wine i always need to swallow the entire 'is this yr rig and if so can u confirm it via email' routine... also did i mentioned that on occasion theyr f'in DRM interferes with the proper execution of my games in wine/virtual machines(funny how the GoG versions of those games work flawless while the steam ones can't ??(we all know its not voodo magic in the GOG versions that makes it so, but the absence of f'in DRM code to mess up wine/virtual box...)
Also GoG is kind enough to give a heap load of extras like manuals,sound tracks,wallpapers...

Sometimes ignorance is bliss...
Vahha
Testers

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 02:49:49 am »

Steam is a very mean money-making monopoly with really paranoid means of control, akin to Microsoft or Macintosh

― George Orwell, 1984
Venator_Helveticus
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 04:30:39 am »

And I thought I'm the last remnant of the resistance. Wink
pigeonfeller
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 05:43:34 pm »

The fact that it's cornering the online videogame distribution market is worrying, but that's hardly something you can hold against them. If it's DRM that bothers you, that's not Steam's fault, but the developpers that want it. Otherwise all games would be on GoG or the Humble Store.
Ansa
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 11:16:17 pm »

Well, compared to publisher corps like EA or Ubisoft, who basically don't give a flying f...k about anything but raw sales stats, lobotomizing gaming market (just look what happened to Bioware games under their control), Steam is nowhere near half as bad - any ragtag dev team can pass the Greenlight and get a chance. Which sometimes is not so good, considering the amount of crap they put out, but sometimes yields nice results like AoD or DS

« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 11:18:11 pm by Ansa » Logged

Never underestimate an old man in a dangerous profession
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: