Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AoD Armors and Clothes  (Read 267446 times)
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2007, 05:51:36 pm »

Tired of wearing the same old things? Take a look at our spring collection of designer armor and clothing lines.

Let's start with the Praetorian armor, our "shiny armor".

Next is the Leather armor. It comes in several colors to avoid the "clone army" effect.

Here is the Legionary armor with a fancy skirt.

Loremaster clothes. Come in light and dark side flavor.

Gladiator armor. Bloody business.

Centurion Armor. It gives me a SPARTA!! feel.

Noble clothes. Come in six different colors.

Mercenary Armor. Tough guys.

Long Toga. Very roman.

Medium Toga. Very roman too.

Imperial Armor. Slow, but heavy.

New loremaster outfit with a nice arabic feel.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 06:30:48 pm by Vince » Logged

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Claw

Adun Toridas!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 07:46:50 pm »

Heh, the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the pic was "gay" - I mean, the armour design looks cool and I especially like the purple, red and dark blue textures. Honestly though, do you actually need all the different colours? I hope we're not going to see them standing side by side. I just couldn't help thinking "Gay pride!"
I really dig the leather armour. It's easily my favourite armour in AoD. Subtle variations (as opposed to non-subtle colour sets) are good.

Of course, we've seen them all before, I believe. Anything new? Anything with a WOW Effect like the updated town, maybe?
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 07:54:40 pm »

Heh, the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the pic was "gay" - I mean, the armour design looks cool and I especially like the purple, red and dark blue textures. Honestly though, do you actually need all the different colours?
To differentiate the upgrades. Once you upgrade your bronze armor, the "accessories" color would change too. We tried darker, dirtier, more "natural to the setting" colors, but then everything looks brownish. We can try that again though. Opinions?

I hope we're not going to see them standing side by side.
Never.

Of course, we've seen them all before, I believe. Anything new? Anything with a WOW Effect like the updated town, maybe?
It's coming and it will blow your mind away. Honestly.
Claw

Adun Toridas!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 08:53:14 pm »

To differentiate the upgrades. Once you upgrade your bronze armor, the "accessories" color would change too. We tried darker, dirtier, more "natural to the setting" colors, but then everything looks brownish. We can try that again though. Opinions?
So, the two "blue" armours are actually different quality versions? I think it works pretty well between the two; the second one looks much more impressive. Of course that wouldn't work for five different versions.
Maybe you coulld have a version without plume, then start with a short plume and switching to royal blue for the second best armour and finally to the red and gold version. For some armours, the actual armour itself looks different enough to not require different accessories to distinguish them. Maybe only change them when the armours are too similar? For instance, the two lowest armour types could easily have the same accessories and still be easily distinguishable.
For Legionaire armours the colours seem less important to make them disinguishable. Have you considered using brown rather than fancy colours? The armour is less prestigous after all, and if my memory serves me right colours were more valuable in ancient times. It might make sense to have three or four kinds of plain Legionaire armour and only use colour on one or two of the highest quality. Incidentally, I do think the two last Legionaire armours look best.

It's coming and it will blow your mind away. Honestly.
Pete honest?  lol
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 08:55:53 pm by Claw » Logged
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 09:06:37 pm »

Like Vince said, I decided to link upgrades with colors in order to make them more easy to distinguish at a glance when playing. If they had the same color scheme, for example, accesories in different tones of brown, they would look very similar and some confusion may arise whether it is a iron or a meteor armor, for example. The same would happen if the color of the accesories was random.

So I decided to make each type of upgrade very different from each other, but with similar themes inside each upgrade, so there is no doubt that it´s an steel or blue steel armor. As you can guess, I linked Cyan with Bronze, Green with Iron, Purple with Steel, Blue with Blue Steel and Red with Meteor.

This brings visual variety and also an easier time when trying to assess which kind of armor does your opponent have. Besides, it will be very hard to see that much variety together ingame. Blue steel and meteor armor are hard to come by, and very few individuals possess them.

Tomasz
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 09:14:01 pm »

The more i look into new pictures the more i see how much was added by Oscar when he joined the team.
However, Claw is right, there's too much color variation which is unnatural. Maybe you should use some more of blue and green variants or darker colors instead of Red and Purple.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 09:46:27 pm by Tomasz » Logged
Claw

Adun Toridas!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 09:25:56 pm »

Like Vince said, I decided to link upgrades with colors in order to make them more easy to distinguish at a glance when playing. If they had the same color scheme, for example, accesories in different tones of brown, they would look very similar and some confusion may arise whether it is a iron or a meteor armor, for example. The same would happen if the color of the accesories was random.
Tsk, tsk. That's all that comes to mind at this baffling post. Actually, it's not. Whoever had the idea of randomizing the colours? And I most certainly didn't suggest using shades of brown (or any colour) for all armours, although the Legionaire armours can be told apart very easily, at least at this size.
The biggest difficulties I can tell are steel and blue steel, as well as maybe iron and metor. Bronze is totally unique. The Praetorian armours also look less distinguishable in general, especially the three middle classes iron, steel and blue steel. I would never suggest touching the wonderful colour sheme of the meteor armours in any case.

As you can guess, I linked Cyan with Bronze, Green with Iron
And I'm sure they'd be virtually indistinguishable if both had cyan (or brown) accessories.  Tongue
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 09:35:47 pm »

The more i look into new pictures the more i see how much was added by Oscar when he joined the team.

Thanks. Smile

However, Claw is right, there's too much color variation which is unnatural. Maybe you should use some more of blue and green variants or darker colors instead of Red and Purple.

I think it looks unnatural due to the unnatural nature of the picture. They are put all five models together, side by side. This is a situation you will NEVER see ingame.

Let´s change it to a more natural situation: There is a battle, you against two guys with Praetorian armor, one bronze, one iron. The game is isometric, from a somewhat high point of view. You want to recognize which one has the bronze one since it´s weaker. From the ingame perspective, if they both have brown accesories for example, you will have to look in the small details which metal is more or less red to see which is the bronze one. In some cases is easy, but there are armors in which the different metals are VERY hard to identify.

With this color based scheme, if you see that it is somewhat reddish with cyan accesories, you know it´s the bronze armor. Just by seeing that is cyan you will be able to know that it´s a bronze armor.

Now, if I would like to make it more realistic, I would go with faction and social class colors. Armors from House Aurelian would have red for their accesories, and if they are from House Daratan it would be yellow. But that would exponentially increase the number of variation for each armor, as the accesories aren´t as easy to change in all cases, and increase the number of armors we would have to load, downloading performance. So I settled for a solution that gives both visual variety and it´s the most effective performance-wise, alongside with an added benefit to gameplay.

Tomasz
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 09:45:57 pm »

Ok i can see it now works thanks for reply! Smile
can't wait to see more screens where can we expect them?
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 09:56:50 pm »

Ok i can see it now works thanks for reply! Smile

My sarcasm detector is tingling Wink

can't wait to see more screens where can we expect them?

Where? Well, here of course! Grin

I´ll post some other armors where the color scheme is more subtle. The Praetorian one is very fancy and colorful, so the color scheme just jumps to your face.

Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 10:02:06 pm »

Whoever had the idea of randomizing the colours?

Heh, I guess that was me. At the beggining I started using whichever color looked good for that armor. And when I did that I noticed that it was increasingly harder to make out which metal upgrade each armor had.

And I most certainly didn't suggest using shades of brown (or any colour) for all armours

That was Vince. Smile

And I'm sure they'd be virtually indistinguishable if both had cyan (or brown) accessories. Tongue

Heh. Wink

Greyloch
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 10:09:02 pm »

Cool, the leather armors are my favorite so far.
cardtrick
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 10:11:39 pm »

They look great. I don't think the colors are a problem at all, and being able to easily distinguish items should always come before aesthetics. Plus, this way you can roleplay as the Power Rangers.
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 10:15:58 pm »

They look great. I don't think the colors are a problem at all, and being able to easily distinguish items should always come before aesthetics. Plus, this way you can roleplay as the Power Rangers.

lol

Palmer Eldritch

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 01:41:43 am »

I have no complaints, very good work.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: