Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGSystem Crash (Moderator: Gareth)Beta 1.1.1.0 Released!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Beta 1.1.1.0 Released!  (Read 20461 times)
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« on: January 28, 2015, 01:30:25 am »

Read all about it and grab the link here.

Enjoy!

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 08:47:41 am »

Great! Downloaded and played two missions of the campaign, had fun, as always.

Art style is great, in backgrounds, interface, and cards, but I couldn't help but notice some inconsistencies with resolution, and the lack of widescreen support (black bars on the side). Doesn't detract from the overall gameplay experience, of course, but it would be a negative point for reviewers and some players.

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
FyreWolfe
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 01:09:18 pm »

This is my first time playing the game and I am impressed. I really like the music (Reminds me of Reunion) and overall feel of the game. Played about 3 games on campaign and 4 on Test (lost 3 won 1) Smile Will play some more... One of my fav games now.  Approve
Niektory

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 08:06:12 pm »

I don't like the new way of displaying card details on mouseover. You have to wait for the info to pop up, and when it does it covers the play view. The old method (showing it on the left side of the screen) was faster and unobtrusive.
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 12:09:42 pm »

Thanks for the kind words, guys! And FyreWolfe, welcome to the forums! Wink

Oscar: Yeah, the decision to go with a fixed resolution was a bad one. I did it because I didn't want to muck about with dynamic UI positioning, but I locked it at a fairly squarish resolution just at the point where most people were going for widescreen monitors. So yeah, it's archaic, but too much work to change before release. I may look at revamping it the future. Smile

Niektory: Sorry you feel that way. The old way was faster but a worse use of space, and I was running into problems where the resolution was making the cards hard to read, and to make the preview bigger would take up too much screen real estate. The pop up version is bigger and also shows the flavour text.

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
MaximillionMiles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 05:28:43 pm »

Just finished the campaign up to where the demo allows. Good job, Gareth! Approve

Quick comments on what I've seen so far:

-More card variety, and some interesting new cards. Nice!

-Managed to finish the campaign without spending money, but had a hard time with certain missions so that's fine. The McNulty story missions in particular were quite hairy. Overall difficulty is fine for me, but I've played the previous beta a lot so I'm not the best to ask about that.

- One complaint I DO have on the story missions, especially in the beginning, is that they're a slog. I'm focusing specifically on those where the enemy carries loads of Neural Backlash and Widget . These cards can slow the game a lot, especially when everyone needs 50OP to succeed, but you have few strong cards available to you. In the beginning of the game most of your cards have an attack value of 2 or 3, so reducing OP gain by 1 or taking away 5-20 OP really slows down the game, and doesn't make the mission harder, just slower. Leave those out, at least for the first few missions, please (around the time you contact Jinx you should have enough strong cards that OP defense/drain becomes less annoying).

- One bug, that I discovered is that if you empty your entire deck and cannot draw any more cards the game just stops. I can't do anything, not even surrender the game. I'm assuming the same happens if the enemy runs out of cards.

Gonna play some more now... Smile

Edit: Oh yeah, graphics look very nice. It's a pretty-looking game, in my opinion. The card art is a bit more hit and miss, but I can live with that.
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 11:15:12 pm »

Oscar: Yeah, the decision to go with a fixed resolution was a bad one. I did it because I didn't want to muck about with dynamic UI positioning, but I locked it at a fairly squarish resolution just at the point where most people were going for widescreen monitors. So yeah, it's archaic, but too much work to change before release. I may look at revamping it the future. Smile

Well, no need for a full revamp, we also have every "usable" area in 4:3 in AoD and DS. If you have some widescreen version of the backgrounds, or at least some artwork on the side it can do the trick.

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 06:49:00 am »

Oscar: Yeah, maybe. A lot of the background art wasn't commissioned in a widescreen format, my mistake, so I'm not sure I have something that can work there. I'll have a look.

Maximillion: Great feedback, thanks!

And you're right, those cards are probably the wrong choice for the starter enemy decks. Without much in the way of heavy hitters or board clearing in the Cypher starter deck, they do slow things down too much. I'll reintroduce them later in the game, when you've got some counters and a bit more power behind you.

And yeah, I can also complete the first 16 missions with just the starter deck, but I know my own game so well that's not really a good indication. Last beta I released I thought I'd found a decent balance and people were saying it took 4 tries just to get through the starter tutorial mission. That's why I need playtesters, I guess. Wink

And thanks for pointing out the empty deck bug. I'll sort that out for the next release.

My blog
MaximillionMiles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 11:13:01 pm »

And you're right, those cards are probably the wrong choice for the starter enemy decks. Without much in the way of heavy hitters or board clearing in the Cypher starter deck, they do slow things down too much. I'll reintroduce them later in the game, when you've got some counters and a bit more power behind you.

I played the first few missions again and actually had less trouble with long, slog fights. Only the first McNulty mission ("McNulty Snooping" or something like that) slowed the fight down a lot. Still, I would say it's a good idea to replace the OP reduction/blocking cards in the first few decks you face, just to be safe)

And yeah, I can also complete the first 16 missions with just the starter deck, but I know my own game so well that's not really a good indication. Last beta I released I thought I'd found a decent balance and people were saying it took 4 tries just to get through the starter tutorial mission. That's why I need playtesters, I guess. Wink

Oh, I wasn't saying it was a bad thing. So far difficulty felt medium-hard for me, I lost a few games but got most missions on my first try. No doubt a beginner would feel differently though, so you should get more feedback on the difficulty from different players.

Played the tester battles a few times. It feels pretty well-balanced, aside from one or two cards. This may be too soon to say, but I have a feeling smoke grenade is STILL too strong as it stands  Sad Oh, there are counters to it (neural backlash and tactics-destroying cards) but they're not too plentiful and smoke screen's effect is just too GOOD. If the hackers get too many of them, or if they get one or two and you have no way to counter them, you can kiss the battle goodbye, even if you have some powerful cards on play.

Smoke grenade is the biggest problem I see so far, but there's more testing ahead and my opinion may even change, or other people may give different opinions, so wait a bit before changing anything.
FyreWolfe
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 08:59:03 am »

Sometimes I instinctively click a card again to deselect it only to find I should have clicked on cancel. Silly me haha
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 02:19:39 pm »

Yeah, Smoke Grenade is pretty powerful, but it's also the point of weakness for hacker decks. Hacker cards aren't as strong as equivalent cost Agents, so once you pull down their protective/delaying Tactics, you should make short work of them.

I do want certain enemies to force you to change up your deck to deal with them. Hacker builds are intentionally strong vs brute force, but weak against the Tactic destroying cards. By the time you really start facing them in the campaign, I will have given you access to those cards, you've just got to be able to evaluate when it's a good idea to cycle them into your build (An Artemis or two is generally a useful addition to any deck, though).

My blog
Niektory

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 03:54:48 pm »

Hackers are tough but beatable, as long as you have an aggressive deck. Tactics removal, agent removal and damage boosts all help. The hacker agents are quite tanky, they make for good meatshields even without smoke grenades. I found that assassinating them helps a lot, they can take a while to kill in direct combat and you don't want them out for long.

BTW, attached my save.

Also, found a minor bug: If you select a card to play, but don't play it, and then surrender the match, the fields where you could play it will still be flashing at the beginning of the next match.

[old attachment deleted by admin to save space]
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 03:58:17 pm by Niektory » Logged
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 03:31:26 am »

Thanks, and thanks for the bug report.

My blog
mkbonde

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 09:42:31 am »

Progress! I will give it a whirl Smile  (as procrastination from giving my first game the last push needed to get it out of the door)
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 09:50:46 am »

Excellent!

And what is this game of yours? Do tell! Wink

My blog
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: