Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Merchant  (Read 99387 times)
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2008, 09:58:40 PM »

Now, some of you may remember that we've had some discussion about the merchant background at the Codex. In the end I posted the Teron's MG questline and the general consensus was that it's not good enough. The popular opinion was that it's too restrictive, doesn't give enough freedom, and doesn't really present the manipulative nature of the merchants guild. Your guildmaster was manipulative, but you were nothing but a pawn in his schemes. Works well in a book, doesn't work well in an RPG.

Anyway, we've changed everything, which took a long time, because, frankly, I couldn't find something that worked, something that would have allowed you to scheme freely, without it being a game of its own.

So, I'll present the new questline in this thread and slowly explain what we did and why.

First, we got rid of the silly and stereotypical conflict between the merchants and thieves. Second, we integrated the questline into a bigger and already existing conflict. As you know, the Imperial Guards are planning a take-over. This would obviously affect the merchants guild's operations and should be a matter of concern to them. Your first task is to find out what the Imperials Guards are up to. I don't think it's realistic to provide any infiltration options or let you approach every guard and try to get them to talk, so you're given a target - a soldier who likes to gamble at the local tavern, which happens to be the thieves guild's front. I suppose I could have let you discover which guard is your best bet on your own, but that would have been a pointless "fetch the name" activity, so let's focus instead on different ways of getting the info.

The quests introduction screens. The option to join the guild is still there, of course, but the screens continue from the merchant vignette.

I'll continue my tale in the morning.

[attachment deleted to save space]
Tuomas
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 04:49:37 AM »

On one hand it's kinda a shame that there's now one conflict less in the gameworld (conflicts make settings intriguing and lead to diverse gameplay styles), but if the merchant profession becomes more interesting as a result, I think it's definitely worth doing.
Zaij
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 06:36:46 AM »

Watching other people play a game has never been this much fun.

Thanks Vince, eagerly awaiting morning update.
star
Journeyman

Die!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 08:39:24 AM »

Looks good, I like it. Not much C&C until here, but I assume this will come later since this is just an introduction. I don't like the "Wait! I have another job for you, a mayor player is planning something really big" line for some reason (possibly because of the strange mix between "oh this just came to my mind" and the importance of the object), on the other hand I love Linos answer to the stupid question.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 09:00:45 AM »

On one hand it's kinda a shame that there's now one conflict less in the gameworld...

You can create a conflict yourself.

Watching other people play a game has never been this much fun.

*bows

Looks good, I like it. Not much C&C until here...

That's just an introduction.

I don't like the "Wait! I have another job for you, a mayor player is planning something really big" line for some reason (possibly because of the strange mix between "oh this just came to my mind" and the importance of the object)...

Not really. That part is very realistic, in my opinion. You came to report the competition of the vignette quest. When you were about to leave, the guildmaster stopped you and gave you another task. Not "just came to my mind", but "let's finish one thing and then discuss another".
Wrath of Dagon
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 09:33:36 AM »

If you keep asking him questions, and he says they're stupid, is that going to hurt your position in the guild?

Secondly--MURDER? Merely because I had planned the duel and provoked the quarrel! Never had I heard anything so preposterous.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 09:37:50 AM »

No.
FireStomp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 07:59:16 PM »

I like it a lot. However, in the first line of the third screen, there's a typo in "tavern;" it's missing the "r."

Sorry for the anal-retentive attention to detail.

Also, the merchant's arms-folded pose, combined with throwing knives in hand, is totally awesome.

Like a diplomat-ninja.

Of doom.

In purple.

"Man is a marvelous curiosity. When he is at his very, very best he is a sort of low grade nickel-plated angel; at his worst he is unspeakable, unimaginable; and first and last and all the time he is a sarcasm." - Samuel L. Clemens
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 08:24:26 PM »

Most clothes come in 6 colors, including black.
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 12:02:02 AM »

Also, the merchant's arms-folded pose, combined with throwing knives in hand, is totally awesome.

Like a diplomat-ninja.

Of doom.

In purple.

She is a girl, she's stylish Tongue

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Jedi_Learner
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 06:35:39 AM »

Good start. Looking forward to your next update...

I'd like to take a moment here and address the issue of expectations. There is nothing revolutionary or evolutionary about AoD. I hope it will be a good game, nothing else.
Zaij
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 07:43:27 AM »

24 hours? I cry now.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 04:43:25 PM »

Sorry, guys. Busy week, deadlines, Fallout 3 review (I know, I know, you are right, I shouldn't have, but did it anyway), etc. Then I looked at the tavern, which is where you're heading to, and didn't like it. So I started discussing options with Oscar and  - boom! - the day is almost over.

Anyway, here is the overview shot. The problem is the tavern is too small.  No, we are not going to redo it, so put that heart attack on hold, please. Still, I'd like to fix it somehow. Don't mind the text, it's old and I'll change it to something more fitting.

The overview and the editor.

Claw

Adun Toridas!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 05:00:05 PM »

Why is the tavern too small?

What bugs me is the lare empty space in the middle of the room. There should be at least one, two tables there.

Also, I notice everyone's standing around. I sure hope there'll be some people sitting at the tables in the final version?
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 05:05:03 PM »

Anyway, so let's start by talking to this Marius fella. He doesn't want to talk to you, so your superior persuasion skills are currently on hold. Why? Well, allowing a persuasion check would have made this quest a simple "run to the tavern, pick the best dialogue line, and you're done" deal and we want to avoid that.

So, you can play fairly, relying on your intelligence or you can cheat. Needless to say, if Marius catches you cheating, he won't see the humor in this situation.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: