Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is this game balanced around 1 scavenger run / day?  (Read 9787 times)
dedzed
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2014, 03:32:31 am »

I think the junk -> parts ratio of the recycler is fine, but the issue is you can instantly create a ton of parts.

The recycler should be a job, maximum of 2 people working it, and generates 1 part per hour that someone's working it (so if you fully staff it you can make 24 parts / day).

You commit junk to the recycler the same way you do now, and the popup will say something like "You added 200 pounds of scrap to the recycler. There is now 300 pounds total in the recycler."
Vormaerin
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2014, 02:18:00 pm »

I think the junk -> parts ratio of the recycler is fine, but the issue is you can instantly create a ton of parts.

The recycler should be a job, maximum of 2 people working it, and generates 1 part per hour that someone's working it (so if you fully staff it you can make 24 parts / day).

You commit junk to the recycler the same way you do now, and the popup will say something like "You added 200 pounds of scrap to the recycler. There is now 300 pounds total in the recycler."

That would work pretty well.  Solve two problems at once.  A lack of jobs if you have larger groups of people and controlling the impact of the recycler, making it valuable but not crazy.
Starwars

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2014, 03:44:20 pm »

Also, I think in discussing difficulty levels, the thing that feels too easy for me personally is the survivalist bit. I don't feel I've been playing particuarly excellent but I've still had no problems at all getting food and other items. If there were a "balance patch", I think that's where I'd like to see the focus. Recycler does feel a bit overpowered, turning it into a job could be good as suggested.

The combat against humans feels difficult enough for me. It can actually screw me up *really* badly if I'm not careful. The zombies could maybe use a slight boost, but I dunno, they're kind of a unique threat as well. I don't want the single zombie slaying to be even slower than it is. But yeah, once you get armor, they become a non-issue. Especially with the abundancy of healing items. I feel like I'm swimming in them. I've never suffered any long-lasting injuries like was mentioned down in another post here either and I'm 22 hours in. Wasn't aware that they existed (haven't finished teaching the woman English).

Vince: "We strongly believe that the hardcore player doesn't want to be loved, but wants to be kicked in the balls and then kneed in the face."

Check out some of my home-recordings: http://www.youtube.com/user/Starwars83/videos?flow=grid&view=0
dedzed
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2014, 04:38:04 pm »

Also, I think in discussing difficulty levels, the thing that feels too easy for me personally is the survivalist bit. I don't feel I've been playing particuarly excellent but I've still had no problems at all getting food and other items. If there were a "balance patch", I think that's where I'd like to see the focus. Recycler does feel a bit overpowered, turning it into a job could be good as suggested.

The combat against humans feels difficult enough for me. It can actually screw me up *really* badly if I'm not careful. The zombies could maybe use a slight boost, but I dunno, they're kind of a unique threat as well. I don't want the single zombie slaying to be even slower than it is. But yeah, once you get armor, they become a non-issue. Especially with the abundancy of healing items. I feel like I'm swimming in them. I've never suffered any long-lasting injuries like was mentioned down in another post here either and I'm 22 hours in. Wasn't aware that they existed (haven't finished teaching the woman English).

IMO the part about having more supplies than you know what to do with is fine, since this JUST happened and supplies are plentiful. Not to mention we're talking about a group of around 20 - 30 people. It's NOT hard to find/grow enough food for that many people.

The real threats should be people trying to rob you.

After all the grocery stores are ransacked, there's going to be people who know you have supplies and are willing to attack you to try to get them.
PegasusOrgans
DS Bronze Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2014, 01:14:27 am »

Personally, I think save scumming and delicately/only attacking zombies from behind might be why everyone has such an easy time of it. I've had issues, such as the nearby church, where I can't avoid activating several and they're deadly if they knock you to the ground. I'm basically dead if on the ground and another zombie joins in. Massive damage. A big change would be nearby zombies joining in the fight like they do in any zombie fiction. Even if you refuse to let them shamble around, which would be an awesome change, at the very least they should notice a melee brawl happening a few feet away from them!! Also, I agree with humans being tough. The faction fighters can get pretty tough. Also, love the idea about the recycler being a job! Leave the ratio as it was pre-release but make it a job!! The game needs more jobs and upgrades AND visual changes to show when an upgrade is built! Seriously, what do they need hyndreds of man hours if the room looks almost exactly the same?! What were they doing?!
Mexi
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2014, 01:36:13 am »

Good idea about the recycler being a job. You have some allies that don't have mechanical skills, and I often have them not doing anything
(click to show/hide)
dessoul
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2014, 02:31:55 pm »

regarding attacks: would be nice to get some real danger there: some zombie-storm like in "the walking dead" or something else. You see so many overrun fortresses that i do not understand, how a made-up-fortress like the shelter is able to withstand the dangers of the surroundings at all!

The saying is old that truth should not be spoken at all times
dedzed
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2015, 01:01:08 am »

Good idea about the recycler being a job. You have some allies that don't have mechanical skills, and I often have them not doing anything
(click to show/hide)

Well, except the recycler would require mechanical skills.

If you're too stupid to change a light bulb how are you going to break things down for USEFUL parts?

Maybe the ratio of scrap -> parts could be dependent on mechanical skill. An idiot would destroy more for every useful scrap they come up with.
Mexi
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2015, 07:32:36 am »

(click to show/hide)

If you're too stupid to change a light bulb how are you going to break things down for USEFUL parts?

Maybe the ratio of scrap -> parts could be dependent on mechanical skill. An idiot would destroy more for every useful scrap they come up with.

I always thought it was just ripping apart different items for the scrap. It doesn't sound difficult at all, honestly. Plus, they need more jobs that don't require mechanical skills. You get at least 3 allies that often don't have a job assigned because of their lack of mechanics.
Greyman
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2015, 11:26:17 am »

There's often some basic maintenance things a lot of them can do, and later some of the farming tasks.  I had that problem for a while, but not by mid-game.
dedzed
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2015, 03:39:33 am »

(click to show/hide)

I always thought it was just ripping apart different items for the scrap. It doesn't sound difficult at all, honestly. Plus, they need more jobs that don't require mechanical skills. You get at least 3 allies that often don't have a job assigned because of their lack of mechanics.

Ok, here's the thing, "parts" in this game is heavily heavily abstracted. Parts are used to fix the car and modify weapons. An idiot taking apart a chainsaw is more likely to either kill himself or damage the motor so that it can't be used for something else than someone who knows what they're doing. If you're disassembling a gun, you need to know what you're doing otherwise you might pull a spring too hard or bend a part rendering it useless.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: