Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Faction Rank and Reputation  (Read 5344 times)
VeritasWaits
Neophyte

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2008, 09:48:21 am »

Are there any faction ranks one can rise through during the game?

I understand that there won't be any Oblivion-esque shennanigans that let you end up as the guildmaster of 5 warring guilds or anything, but will you be able to gain prestige and benefits from a faction as your reputation with them improves? If so, what kind of "perks" might that bring?

Or does faction reputation mostly just affect how other members of that group feel about you?

Fear the Ninja...
Azael
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 11:39:30 am »

Personally, I hope that skilled operative will be the highest "rank" available. You're someone they trust to do a tough job, but not to run day and day operations. There shouldn't be a way to climb up to the top, or even relatively close to the top within the confines of the game.

Ceterum censeo Bethesda esse delendam
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 11:42:04 am »

What Azael said. At best you'd be able to offer your advice to those who are in charge.
VeritasWaits
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 02:37:56 pm »

Gotcha, that's actually what I was hoping to hear.

And from those screens you posted earlier about reputation stats, Vince, it appears that a solid faction reputation might make a difference in a lot of encounters, which is great. A more specific example of my question, just for total clarification:

We've seen screens of the Thieves Guild headquarters. I'm assuming that becoming a member would therefore open up access to a place to sleep, stash some gear, maybe a merchant to trade with, that you wouldn't otherwise have access to? Will some (or all) of the other factions have something similarly beneficial? Am I even interpreting those screens correctly?

Fear the Ninja...
haplo
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 10:08:38 pm »

Will game provide opportunities to betray your faction even if you have high reputation with it?

"What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning." - Werner Heisenberg
Claw

Adun Toridas!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 08:30:57 am »

I don't see why not, although I imagine a high loyalty might prevent NPCs from offering such options.

Vince could certainly shed some light on this.
VeritasWaits
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 10:19:12 am »

Yes you'll definitely have lots of backstabbing opportunities, though all of them are significant choices with consequences. You can't court favor with all the factions at once, a la Oblivion.

To quote Vince from another thread on reputation stats:

"During the game your honesty and loyalty would be tested. Going with quests you're already familiar with, let's say you start as an assassin. You get the first quest - kill the spies. During the fight, you'd be offered a chance to switch sides (they work for House Aurelian) and help one of the spies reach Maadoran safely. That's a good offer since House Aurelian is the most powerful faction and you'd start with a good reputation. If you accept, your loyalty goes down. If you refuse, it goes up. That's your loyalty to your faction (or lack thereof).

Then you go and talk to Feng. Assuming your "word of honor" is 0 or higher, he gives you the above mentioned quest. There are no loyalty checks or adjustments in this quest because nobody expects you to be loyal to some guy, least of all to Feng. However, you give him your word and that's gotta count for something.

So, you go and talk to Cassius (the rival loremaster). Now, since Cassius isn't eager to die, he gives you a very good reason to double-cross Feng. I assume that most people would be very tempted (and we aren't talking about money here), but if you do it, your "word of honor" goes down. If you stick with the plan, it goes up.

Makes sense?"

And that's just in the early stages of the game, so I'm sure you'll have similar opportunities as you deal with the other factions over the course of the story.

Fear the Ninja...
haplo
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 11:19:56 am »

Oh thanks. What  actually I had in mind, was more of a large scale betrayal. When you single action lead to complete demise of your current fraction.

"What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning." - Werner Heisenberg
renkin
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 02:50:00 pm »

Oh thanks. What  actually I had in mind, was more of a large scale betrayal. When you single action lead to complete demise of your current fraction.

I think that would be quite unrealistic, considering the highest reachable "rank" is "skilled operative", except maybe in very specific cases.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 10:23:06 am »

We've seen screens of Guild headquarters. I'm assuming that becoming a member would therefore open up access to a place to sleep, stash some gear, maybe a merchant to trade with, that you wouldn't otherwise have access to? Will some (or all) of the other factions have something similarly beneficial? Am I even interpreting those screens correctly?
Something like that. Becoming a member doesn't get you anything. You're a guild's bitch.

Recommended reading

Becoming a valuable member gets you respect, your own place, gear, etc.

Will game provide opportunities to betray your faction even if you have high reputation with it?
Yes.

I don't see why not, although I imagine a high loyalty might prevent NPCs from offering such options.

Vince could certainly shed some light on this.
High loyalty would prevent rival guilds from approaching you, but it wouldn't prevent you from doing what you think is right. It's my job to give you reasons to.
jbp26
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 11:53:21 am »

very glad to hear this.

this:

I understand that there won't be any Oblivion-esque shennanigans that let you end up as the guildmaster of 5 warring guilds or anything,

was one of the worst parts of oblivion, that and the fact that being guildmaster of 5 guilds had no effect on anything or anyone outside of the guildhall. totally pointless.
Anonxeuix

Malteser.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 03:11:53 pm »

Indeed jbp26. Apart from the fact that being guildmaster of the fighter's guild and thieves guild just made no sense. Heck in Morrowind you had to kill each thieves guild leader and finally the guildmaster for the Fighter's Guild.

"I don't take drugs: I am drugs." - Salvador Dali
grisse
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 06:33:36 am »

Indeed jbp26. Apart from the fact that being guildmaster of the fighter's guild and thieves guild just made no sense. Heck in Morrowind you had to kill each thieves guild leader and finally the guildmaster for the Fighter's Guild.
No, you could also side with the guild leader from another town, who wanted you to rid the Fighter's Guild of the crime syndicate's influence. You had to bribe some leaders (with a special item, not through dialogue), kill others and eventually kill the guildmaster himself.

Same result, but with different bodies lying in your wake.

I don't need no makeup
I got real scars
I got hair on my chest
I look good without a shirt
Anonxeuix

Malteser.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 06:42:36 am »

In morrowind?! How did I miss this =/

"I don't take drugs: I am drugs." - Salvador Dali
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print