Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: My Fallout 3 adventures!  (Read 228651 times)
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2008, 05:05:20 pm »

Day 1 - Vault 101

Painful.

You start as a newborn and slowly move through different ages, FINALLY becoming a teenager. Your birthday is an especially painful "level". You play the role of a dumb 10 year old with an amazing repertoire of dialogue options.

Couldn't the Overseer help out more with your birthday? Who comes up with this shit? You can also harass every adult and either demand presents or complain about what they gave you. I guess Bethesda thought it's a good example of Fallout humor.

Anyway, after taking a painfully long GOAT exam, I'm awakened by the Overseer's daughter. I wonder what she wants.

My dad, the light of life, my moral compass and the only friend, is gone you say? Good for him. The girl informs me that the Overseer's thugs are looking for me (I guess they didn't think of looking in my room) and have already killed Jonas. Oh my... Poor Jonas. She gives me a gun - thanks, kid - and tells me how to escape the vault. Apparently everyone knows it but me. I expect troubles, so I equip a baseball bat (I'm too cheap to waste bullets at this point). Let's take a look at my stats:

Strength 5, Melee 15. In Fallout 1 that would mean a painful death. In Fallout 3 that means 94% chance to hit in VATS mode.

I run into two armed guards in combat gear. The guards manage to reduce my health from 200 to 141, but die easily. Then I kill more guards. Then I kill the overseer. Then I kill some more guards, leaving a dead vault behind. At lvl 1. Unskilled. Wearing nothing but my vault pajamas.

The Overseer's last seconds.

I killed the entire vault and I'm a Vault Guardian! I wish my dad could see me now.

To be continued...

Day 2 - The Uwe Boll school of game design

Day 2 - The Big Choice

Day 3 - Settling down

Day 3 - The dungeons

Day 4 - The Fire Ants Dungeon

Day 4 - The Animal Kingdom: Behemoth, Three Dog, and the Lyon's Pride

Day 5 - The Final update

Fallout 3 review
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 07:45:26 pm by Vince » Logged
Ellorien
Master

Mindflayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 05:12:30 pm »

Sounds like fun.  Smile I am downloading the game right now.

μολὼν λαβέ
Starwars

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 05:30:25 pm »

I killed the entire vault and I'm a Vault Guardian! I wish my dad could see me now.

Golden! Without spoiling your future exploits to much, I was pretty amused at how I could off Super Mutants quite easily at a low level.

When can we expect your NMA review again? Salute

Vince: "We strongly believe that the hardcore player doesn't want to be loved, but wants to be kicked in the balls and then kneed in the face."

Check out some of my home-recordings: http://www.youtube.com/user/Starwars83/videos?flow=grid&view=0
EmptyWallet
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 05:39:16 pm »

It feels so good that I could care less about this game. This thread is funny however and I hope you will continue posting your impressions for a bit.
Anonxeuix

Malteser.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 05:49:11 pm »

Nice introduction Grin

Today my hopes have been dripped away, for some reason. Well actually I've read too many "this isn't what I thought it would be" posts from gamers who have bought the game, also from gamers who don't play RP games.

Fucking hell. Fuck.

"I don't take drugs: I am drugs." - Salvador Dali
Diogo Ribeiro
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 05:50:27 pm »

MOAR!
GarfunkeL
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 05:57:11 pm »

I wonder what the Beth-fanboys respond this and other similar info about how retarded the game or atleast part of it are.

Goldbox4Evah!
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 06:18:54 pm »

Overall, I was shocked at how easy it was. I didn't save. I didn't reload. I didn't use stimpacks. I didn't even use the VATS. There was no need to. I could and did kill everything that stood in my way.

Now I suppose that's a tutorial area. I hope things become more challenging, unless Bethesda was determined to ensure that every 10 year old can beat the game. However, when the game tells you that this vault is locked and ran by the Overseer and his thugs, and then allows a clumsy 16 year old kid with a baseball bat but no skills effortlessly kill everyone and walk out... my suspension of disbelief and immersion drop to 0.

Anyway, I'll go and investigate the outside world.

PS. My  specs (3 year old PC I bought for Oblivion):

Pentium D processor 930, Dual Core, 3GHz, 800FSB
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM, 533MHz
nVidia GeForce 6800, 256 MB

The game autoset the visuals on low. The game looks fine and runs fine.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 06:24:03 pm by Vince » Logged
Starwars

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 06:44:16 pm »

Something that I was pleasantly surprised by was the loading times. It takes me under 30 seconds to load up the game, load up my savegame and be inside the gameworld again. Lightning fast.

As far as the difficulty, yeah. I saw a post earlier where dude couldn't get past the part where you first assign your SPECIAL attributes. I think you're 19 at the point of your escape though?

I will say this though, I've definetely run into more trouble in this game which never ever happened to me in Oblivion. Even so, I still haven't died. It's just not challenging design to provide the player with a house (which you will generally get very early in the game, maybe even the very first thing you accomplish after getting out of the vault), in which you can heal up completely (crippled limbs and all) if you sleep for 1 hr. And of course, if you happen into trouble out in the wasteland. The insta-heal of your bed, healing supplies and general safety lies only one fast-travel/teleport away. It doesn't vibe in any way whatsoever with the harsh wasteland feel that Fallout was about.
And I also have the experience of not having to use VATS. You can pretty much just aim for the head FPS style and fire away. In fact, when the target is farther away, it's easier to just FPS it if you haven't uber weapon skills. It's... really weird how it works.

Even so, I guess I should also admit that there are stuff like skillchecks in the game. They often feel very clumsy though (especially the Intelligence ones are bloody awful). And I guess that's the trouble. Even if you say "we have choices & consequences, we have skill checks, we have an open wasteland to explore" it will mean absolutely nothing if the execution of it sucks. And it often does in Fallout 3.

At least I like it better than Oblivion. I will say that while the game feels very un-Fallouty, the post-apocalyptic atmosphere is quite well done. Especially in certain places like Megaton, even though the premise behind the whole bomb business is utterly stupid. Visually it works very well.

Vince: "We strongly believe that the hardcore player doesn't want to be loved, but wants to be kicked in the balls and then kneed in the face."

Check out some of my home-recordings: http://www.youtube.com/user/Starwars83/videos?flow=grid&view=0
fastpunk
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 06:46:06 pm »

Damn, the beginning sounds atrocious. I don't think I'll be playing FO3 but I'm looking forward to more updates in this thread.
One Wolf
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 09:02:49 pm »

Keep posting.  This is comedy gold.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
Ellorien
Master

Mindflayer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 09:09:40 pm »

Well... heh heh... at least I had a good laugh in tutorial, beating the crap out of the vault dwellers using my baseball bat. The NPC animation is outdated and the dialogues are kinda retarded but the vault itself is great. There is a high level of interactivity with the environment. I had my first ever sip of water from a toilet, thanks Bethesda!
It's less funny outside though. The desolate scenery is truly impressive. Combat? Definitely not Fallout, in case someone is still clinging to hope. To say that I am unimpressed with VATS so far will be a huge understatement.

Something that I was pleasantly surprised by was the loading times. It takes me under 30 seconds to load up the game, load up my savegame and be inside the gameworld again. Lightning fast.
Oh yeah. Much less than 30 sec.

μολὼν λαβέ
jbp26
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 09:17:57 pm »

glad you guys got to play. installation is taking 1 hour 15 minutes and counting- mostly due to WindowsLive and SecuRom. I particularly liked it when SecuRom told me to stop using a backup copy and insert the real disc, and then crashed.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 10:03:01 pm »

Day 1 - The Great Outdoors

Welcome to Morrowind. Bring guns.

When you're walking outside the game feels like a typical Elder Scrolls game. Very Morrowind-ish. Everything is grey, including Megaton.

Megaton is conveniently located within 5 minutes walking distance from the cave where the entrance to 101 is. Well, looks like everything is conveniently located within 5 minutes walking distance. Probably to make traveling easier but that doesn't work in the wasteland setting AT ALL.

Anyway, I walked slowly to Megaton (slowly because I was overloaded with all the loot from the vault). The doors were immediately opened (too friendly for the wasteland?) and the infamous Calamity Jane sheriff greeted me:

Dialogues in the game are bad. Really bad. I can't believe that Bethesda can't find someone who can, like, write sentences without sounding like a 12 year old. *sigh*

"Have you see my father? He's a middle-aged guy..."
:facepalm:

I've offered the sheriff my help with the bomb and successfully used a speech skill to increase my pay from 100 to 500 caps. Not bad at all.

I sold my loot to Moira the storekeeper. She looked surprisingly like the Overseer's daughter. She is writing a survival guide and needs my help. First task is to check a local (within 5 min) store and see if there is any food and drugs there. I see. So, Megaton was around for "several decades". Within a 5 min walking distance is a store and you want me to check if there is any food left? I see. Makes sense. 'Cause it's a dark and gritty game, right?

So, being a helpful guy I went to that store. The combat got tougher. Wild dogs reduced my health to 42, but died easily. I shot one dog's head off, but the body remained standing. Oh well...

Inside the store I was attacked by 5 raiders. Very tough fight. I was killed 7 or 8 times. That's a huge and pleasant difference comparing to my vault exploits. I had to save and I used VATS a few times. It's pretty good. At least it's more interesting than the FPS mode.

I found two laser pistols in poor conditions and plenty of ammo. Kind of too much and too soon, I think. The dead raiders supplied me with 3 different types of raiders armor, a few handguns, a combat shotgun, and an assault rifle.

Tried "repair". When I've heard about this feature, I imagined something out of "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" - swapping parts and such. Unfortunately, it's much more simplistic. You click on an item you want to repair, select a similar item from the list (this item will be completely destroyed, but it looks like you won't lose any money as the "merged" item would have the value of the both items), and that's it. As you can see it increased the condition by 9%! Yay!

Now let's look at my new armor and weapons. Nice glasses.

Overall, it looks like it's a much better game than Oblivion. It's not a Fallout game, of course. It's not even a Fallout-inspired game as I quietly hoped. It's a game with things you've seen in the Fallout games. Like vaults and super mutants.

To be continued....
VonVentrue

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 06:45:28 am »

Welcome to Morrowind. Bring guns.

Priceless. Keep it up, VD.

No amount of mods can ever turn this abomination into a real Fallout sequel, unfortunately. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: