Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Create your character  (Read 182222 times)
caster
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 10, 2009, 11:06:17 am »

In that case maybe its better to go with only one weapon skill and max it out so you can have more points for critical strike and maybe dodge or the like.

Anyway, it sure will be fun trying out different builds and in my case seeing how far i can stretch them across different  skills.

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! - Albert Einstein

The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.
KillerAnt
Novice

Support you local game developer

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 11, 2009, 06:40:24 pm »

Theif like Morik in the books about Drizzt.

First of, I don´t want to be him (Morik). I want my own character but I like the idéa of someone like him. I´ve never managed to play a theif in any RPG since it has always been a boring choise. But I think in this game it will be loots of fun!!! It´s probably not going to work since he is a jack of all trades (or most of them) But is it possible?

What I want is a character which can get in mostly everywhere using stealth, disarm traps and locks (Thief). But I also want him to be able to fight. I want him to be a hard fight for anyone, but obviously he can´t hold the ground against several combat trained opponents (His is a good thief, not a pure fighter). A character like that probably works. But I would also like for him to be well versed in several other skills like lore, etiquette and streetwise and possible disguise.

For stats something like this?

Str: 4
Con: 5
Dex: 9
Int: 10
Per: 8
Cha: 4

So basically I want him to have the following skills.

Skill to focus on:
Dagger
Block or Doge or both?
Sneaking
Traps
Pick locks
Streetwise

Medium investment in these skills:
Critical Strike
Stealing
Lore

Minor investments, but I still want them to work:
Disguise
Etiquette

No one else has shown any interest in focusing in this many skills. I realize that this might not be possible, or is it?
Doing something like this probably will make him gimp Smile
Morbus
Expert

Wastelander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: February 11, 2009, 06:53:28 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong: an average player in AoD will only have points to spend on about five to six skills, right? Because everybody's characters seem like such jacks of all trades, it looks like they're more used to games where they max everything than anything else...

Claw

Adun Toridas!

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 11, 2009, 06:58:14 pm »

For stats something like this?

Per: 8

So basically I want him to have the following skills.

Skill to focus on:
Dagger
Block or Doge or both?
Sneaking
Traps
Pick locks
Streetwise

Medium investment in these skills:
Critical Strike
Stealing
Lore

4 Strength, Dagger and only medium Critical Strike skill? That doesn't seem wise. You'll suffer a damage penalty on top of your low base damage with no effective way of compensating. Your character will also not be very tough. With low con and high perception, you may want to reconsider your primary weapon skill.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 07:02:18 pm by Claw » Logged
erbgor

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 11, 2009, 07:58:05 pm »

Does the game actually punish me for attacking with ranged weapons when the target is right next to me and uses a melee weapon? If not then I'd probably mainly use thrown weapons with a low strength thief.

Just what is so great and serious about videogames that videogame journalists should be fighters for truth, rather than purely promotional devices for a niche hobby (which is what they were meant to be).?
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 11, 2009, 08:28:46 pm »

It doesn't.
KillerAnt
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 12, 2009, 07:25:18 am »

Mmmm. Thank you for the quick the replies. I thought it wold not work but I had to ask Wink

I will there for try to make a nice assassin with fewer skills. Though I will post it here for some more feedback.

Ohh yeah, I´ve played RPG´s for my whole life, but I´ve never done any number crunching or powergaming and mostly find out the hard way what works and not Grin Though the occupationally glance in the strategy forums always seems like a good idea.

Cheers!

/Alex
KillerAnt
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 12, 2009, 04:48:49 pm »

I´m having a really hard time to figure out what a good assassin needs to be like to rise to the top of the assassins guild in this game. Being a perfect "jack of all trades" assassin you should be this person... You could use etiquete and disguise to bluff your way to the victim and them poison him/her. Or if you feel like it. Open up the gate at night and slip in through the window and stick your dagger into your victim while he/she sleeps. But for this you need good skills in disguise, etiquete, alchemy and possible lore. And also dagger, sneaking, critical strike as well as loockpick and maybe traps. And from what I have understood you won´t be able to get that many skill points.

Am I correct in asuming that if you don´t want to be a handicaped character you either have to be one of 2 types of assasin. Either the bluffing and poisoning guy or the sneaky dagger dude? You can´t be both?

For the sneaky dagger dude I have put this down

Str: 6
Con: 6
Per: 5

I might take one point or so from Dex and put it in Per or  Con if that will boost him. The 10 in Int might or might not be good. But I love skills, and a good assasin has to be smart.

So basicly I want him to have the following skills.
I´ve rated the skills from 1, 2, 3 etc. The lower number geting slightly more points.

Skill to focus on:
1. Dagger 
2. Sneaking 
3. Doge
4. Critical Strike
5. Lockpick
6.Traps

If at all posible I would like to put some points in  streetwise (any assassin worthy of his name should know a thing about the knowledge of the streets) and/or alchemy (an assassin should know about poisons). Maybe I have to change something to make it work. Will this guy be as great as I hope, or will he be a cripple shunted by all his peers? Any suggestion will be more than welcome!

Also I would like to know (maybe be directed to the right thread, I did not find it searching) how much points you get with regard to you INT and how much points you need to have to be great, good or decent at something.

Btw, for my second play through I´ll probably go for an all text (non combat) adventure. Merchant, lormaster or diplomat ( an evil keniving bastard who thinks of nothing that his on greatness).... Followed by a nice (or not so nice) mr Knight who follows his masters bidding.
Gregorus Prime

Look, he's just this guy, you know?

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 16, 2009, 03:54:14 am »

Still going? I think I know what I'd like.

Knight background to start with. Name: Tiberius Geminius Galeo (but you can call him Sir)

Str 8
Con 7
Dex 6
Int 8
Per 6
Cha 5

As a proper knight of a noble house, I should probably go with:

Sword 4 Spear 2 Throw 2 Block 2  Etiquette 3 Lore 3

I'll probably spend a bit on Streetwise later on so I don't get duped by common street trash. That could be embarassing, and those thick-headed Guardsmen are probably always whining about wanton murder. They just don't understand the concept of honor.

Hopefully my slow but strong knight will be able to start relying on heavy armor somewhat quickly. After all, it wouldn't do to invest all this time and energy into a warrior's training for the good of the House if he gets stabbed in the neck the first time he steps outside.

EDIT: A thought occurs: if I do go with a Knight, do I pick the house I am affiliated with, or are knights just the general go-to guys of all the noble houses for when they need things accomplished in an official matter?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 04:07:10 am by Gregorus Prime » Logged
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 16, 2009, 07:14:33 am »

You start with House Daratan. The rest is up to you.
Gregorus Prime

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 17, 2009, 08:06:42 pm »

So if I want to go with Aurelia, for instance, I need to betray Daratan?

Or is there a way to break from the House without losing honor (loyalty would obviously still drop, though)?
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 17, 2009, 08:22:01 pm »

You can choose a different master without losing anything. For example, you can start the game as as an assassin, do the first mission, then go and join the Imperial Guards without pissing anybody off. Or you can accept the second mission, kill your partner, tell the Imperial Guards about the assassination and then join them.
Gregorus Prime

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 17, 2009, 10:07:49 pm »

That actually sounds pretty fucking cool. Now hurry up and finish that damn combat demo already!
34s Cell
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 18, 2009, 02:09:03 am »

Dex: 10
Int: 6
Per: 10
Cha: 5

Just critical strike.

"I'm an asshole"