Iron Tower Studio ForumsOtherGeneral DiscussionRecommend some TV series for me to watch
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Recommend some TV series for me to watch  (Read 49754 times)
erbgor

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: February 07, 2012, 12:27:09 PM »

@Lgrayman: Have you watched Dollhouse yet? It's definitely up there with Firefly, except with a slow start.

That's funny, I was gonna recommend that. Been rewatching it. It definately a mixed bag for me, but when it is good it is very good, sometimes even brilliant. Don't think it is as good as Firefly though, but then I am an absolute Firefly fanboy.

Just what is so great and serious about videogames that videogame journalists should be fighters for truth, rather than purely promotional devices for a niche hobby (which is what they were meant to be).?
sporky
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 07, 2012, 01:48:21 PM »

The first six episodes are not great, but they got cancelled and fit the entire series arc into the time that was left, and I thought that was great, the stuff towards the end. Firefly overall is better, I agree.

People were always getting ready for tomorrow. I didn't believe in that. Tomorrow wasn't getting ready for them. It didn't even know they were there.
CORMAC MCCARTHY, The Road
Lgrayman

Ḥashshāshīn

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 07, 2012, 05:20:29 PM »

I watched the first few episodes but didn't really like it. Not a big fan of Eliza Dushku either; I think she was good as Faith in Buffy, but other than that...

I'll have to give it another go at some stage and watch the rest of it. But then, that's maybe not a good idea since there will be no more.

I haven't watched Deadwood, maybe I'll watch that. Earlier in this thread people were saying Oz got a bit ridiculous, is that true? In my head I always imagined it to be a gritty, realistic prison drama.
sporky
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 07, 2012, 11:24:02 PM »

Deadwood's awesome. I didn't like Oz, it was shot like a play and sounded kind of Mamet-y, which I am not really a fan of.

Dushku is charismatic in the way Schwarzenegger is in the movie Commando, but there's other good characters/actors in it for the counter-balance. As I said, the first 6 are tedious, but the story arc ends up with the
(click to show/hide)
, which is awesome.

People were always getting ready for tomorrow. I didn't believe in that. Tomorrow wasn't getting ready for them. It didn't even know they were there.
Palmer Eldritch

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 08, 2012, 02:08:26 AM »

OZ is okay for a few seasons. I'm not sure exactly when it turns to crap, but you might not regret watching season 1-3, maybe 4. Back when it was new, I thought it was cool that characters would get killed quite often. You could never be sure that your favorite character would survive. The problem with the show later on was that it moved from having low-key plots such as gang wars and minor conspiracies, to a more ridiculous and completely unbelievable style. Also, there is an increased focus on homosexual relationships as the show progresses, which wouldn't be a problem for me if I was interested in fictional romance.
Anonxeuix

Malteser.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: February 08, 2012, 07:47:50 AM »

Started watching Big Bang Theory. Laughed in every single episode (I've watched 5). If this keeps up that'd be great.

"I don't take drugs: I am drugs." - Salvador Dali
erbgor

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 08, 2012, 08:10:53 AM »

Deadwood's awesome.

Ya, you can't really go wrong with Deadwood if you enjoy well made television.

It really does well in establishing a very gritty, but unromantic atmosphere. It is sometimes shocking in its harshness.

Just what is so great and serious about videogames that videogame journalists should be fighters for truth, rather than purely promotional devices for a niche hobby (which is what they were meant to be).?
suibhne
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 08, 2012, 07:05:51 PM »

Have you watched Dollhouse yet? It's definitely up there with Firefly, except with a slow start.

That's blasphemy.

Dollhouse has a few standout episodes, a lot of mediocre ones, and a few terrible ones. Unfortunately, you really have to suffer through the bad stuff to get in on the decent stuff, and it's all so inconsistent. Firefly might have been underwhelming if it hadn't been tossed out an airlock by Fox, who knows, but the average quality of its 13 episodes is much, much stronger than that of Dollhouse's 26 episodes. What really makes Firefly shine is that it's an ensemble show, even more so than Buffy and Angel; Joss really nails the whole community aspect of the ship and crew. Dollhouse only gets started on that in Season 2.

Part of the problem is that the basic idea of the series has a ton of potential, but Joss was way too slow to move it along. The second season occasionally delivers the type of plotline that should have emerged by the middle of the first season. I'm guessing the show could have really come into its own if it had been renewed rather than summarily wrapped up.

I do agree, tho, that the made-for-DVD episodes that close out each season are a pretty great idea and very interesting.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 07:08:58 PM by suibhne » Logged
Starwars

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 13, 2012, 02:05:25 PM »

I've been watching the Wire lately, almost done with the first season.

And what can I say, I can't fucking believe I've missed out on this show before. It's really, really good.

Vince: "We strongly believe that the hardcore player doesn't want to be loved, but wants to be kicked in the balls and then kneed in the face."

Check out some of my home-recordings: http://www.youtube.com/user/Starwars83/videos?flow=grid&view=0
xantrius

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 13, 2012, 03:09:14 PM »

I finished "The three kingdoms" recently. Its a Chinese series based, or at least inspired by the classical novel "The romance of three kingdoms"  from 14th century by Guanzhong. Its setting is the late Han Dynasty, and is mainly focused around which family or faction is going to rule over the empire that constitutes China. The shows main focus is on the warfare and the diplomacy between different factions, that wants to take imperial China in different directions. I became aware of it through comparison with the Tv series based on "The song of ice and fire", though they're obviously rather different, I think there's a good chance you'd like it if you liked the other.

Anyone happen to have read "The romance of the three kingdoms" and know if it is vastly different from the above mentioned series?  

Once you enter into a polemic with someone and then abruptly leaves, then people will usually think that you hate them. ~ Nietzsche (paraphrased)   

[...]Pathologic has the most 'elite' RPG features like superb story, exploration, dialogues, C&C - and takes them to such a high level that few RPGs ever aspired. [...]
sporky
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 14, 2012, 02:19:35 PM »

@starwars
Awesome! I'm envious, I've already watched it twice. When I moved to Baltimore, I almost joined the POE-lease because of that show.

You're almost done with S1? Season 2 people sometimes don't like, but 3 and 4 are awesome, with 4 being the overall best in my humble opinion. When I first watched the series, I was irritated by season 2, but after I saw the whole run, I understood how it fit with the others.

Tidbit!: The guy who Bubbles is based on had a wife who just recently married one of the guys Omar was based on! They started corresponding while he was in jail.

Anyway, anything you want to observe while you watch it, I'd love to hear it.

melkathi
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 15, 2012, 04:01:55 AM »

@starwars
Awesome! I'm envious, I've already watched it twice. When I moved to Baltimore, I almost joined the POE-lease because of that show.

You're almost done with S1? Season 2 people sometimes don't like, but 3 and 4 are awesome, with 4 being the overall best in my humble opinion. When I first watched the series, I was irritated by season 2, but after I saw the whole run, I understood how it fit with the others.

Tidbit!: The guy who Bubbles is based on had a wife who just recently married one of the guys Omar was based on! They started corresponding while he was in jail.

Anyway, anything you want to observe while you watch it, I'd love to hear it.

Envious too.
Watched the show thrice now and agree on season 4 being the best. I liked season 2 though I can't stand Ziggy and, speaking greek, I had a smallish spoiler Smile Let us know what you think starwars.
Anonxeuix

Malteser.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: August 15, 2012, 09:23:51 AM »

Started watching Big Bang Theory. Laughed in every single episode (I've watched 5). If this keeps up that'd be great.

It did keep up.

Also watched Game of Thrones some months ago - awesomesauce.

One day I'll watch Breaking Bad. One day.

"I don't take drugs: I am drugs." - Salvador Dali
Starwars

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 22, 2012, 08:13:26 AM »

Just finished up Season 2 of the Wire. I suppose I didn't like it *quite* as much as Season 1 but it's still awesome. And I also really enjoyed the showcasing of the dockworking life. It's sort of unusual and interesting.

I suppose the greatest strength is really that it at least *feels* like it's realistic. It showcases all the annoying paperwork and shit that police have to deal with, it's very "non-dramatic" in a lot of ways. But it still manages to keep you on the edge of the seat. Almost all characters just feel like real guys, with real problems and good and bad sides.

Vince: "We strongly believe that the hardcore player doesn't want to be loved, but wants to be kicked in the balls and then kneed in the face."

Check out some of my home-recordings: http://www.youtube.com/user/Starwars83/videos?flow=grid&view=0
sporky
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 22, 2012, 11:40:12 AM »

The season 2 got on my nerves the first time cause Izzy was such an idiot. When I watched it the second time he didn't really bother me.

A couple months ago somebody yelled "Hey Sobatka!" at me, so now I know who I look like. lol

They mean for the show to examine all the facets of the decline of the "Large US city".
(Slight)
(click to show/hide)
I won't ever give any real spoilers on here cause there are some really good surprises, don't want to ruin it for you.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 11:46:04 AM by sporky » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: