Iron Tower Studio ForumsOtherGeneral DiscussionRecommend some TV series for me to watch
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Recommend some TV series for me to watch  (Read 51155 times)
One Wolf
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 01, 2011, 07:20:37 PM »

I'm surprised why none mentioned "Spartacus : Gods Of The Arena", the prequel to "Spartacus: Blood and Sand".
It's a very good series and deserves it's own thread.

The fist 2 episodes (out of 6) were great, with all (or almost all) the original actors (coming from the dead Wink ).

Whoa, never even heard of that.  Will definitely be checking that out.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
Hiver
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 01, 2011, 07:24:24 PM »

Is there any show where nobody gets killed, it isnt based on morbidity and disgust tricks and thrills, where the good guys manage to run away with the money from the bank, where the script and events are of feel good nature instead of races who will think of more complicated tragedy, and everyone just have a good time ...?

Leverage. It's excellent.
Really? i guess ill take a look.

My first axiom:
Never, ever think about or make any conclusions about life, universe and everything else while youre depressed, suffering a trauma, a tragedy and or being drunk.

What the hell do you expect you will come up with in such a state?
Argence
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 03, 2011, 10:57:31 AM »

Just a word of warning, Leverage is really, really cheesy. But it is occasionally kind of fun watching them rip off con artists, corrupt corporate bigwigs and govt officials, and beat most of them at their own game; even if most of their tricks, hacking, and thieving is purely Hollywood nonsense.
FireStomp

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 03, 2011, 11:55:25 PM »

Just a word of warning, Leverage is really, really cheesy. But it is occasionally kind of fun watching them rip off con artists, corrupt corporate bigwigs and govt officials, and beat most of them at their own game; even if most of their tricks, hacking, and thieving is purely Hollywood nonsense.

Oh, absolutely. It's utter popcorn, but it's fun, it's funny, it's pretty exciting, and there's nothing wrong with cheesiness.

"Man is a marvelous curiosity. When he is at his very, very best he is a sort of low grade nickel-plated angel; at his worst he is unspeakable, unimaginable; and first and last and all the time he is a sarcasm." - Samuel L. Clemens
Argence
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 04, 2011, 05:06:25 PM »

Plus, the thief looks really, really good in those tiny dresses they keep putting her in.
Starwars

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 13, 2011, 02:16:15 PM »

So, what's everyone been watching lately?

I haven't watched a whole lot. Followed Game of Thrones when that was going on and then basically nothing since then. Just watched the first episode of The Walking Dead just now and it seems promising.

Vince: "We strongly believe that the hardcore player doesn't want to be loved, but wants to be kicked in the balls and then kneed in the face."

Check out some of my home-recordings: http://www.youtube.com/user/Starwars83/videos?flow=grid&view=0
sporky
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 13, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »

Fucking Breaking Bad!
Also Curb your Enthusiasm
Louie
The 4 part series spin off of "This is England" (86) was good.

Probably going to pick Justified back up.

People were always getting ready for tomorrow. I didn't believe in that. Tomorrow wasn't getting ready for them. It didn't even know they were there.
CORMAC MCCARTHY, The Road
One Wolf
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 14, 2011, 03:35:35 AM »

Yeah, hasn't really been much airing that I'm interested in at the moment.  Game of Thrones was great, I'm reading the third book at the moment as well.

Thanks for the reminder on Justified, I thought the first season of that show was pretty good.  Didn't even know the second season had started.

Breaking Bad continues to be great, but beyond that... I don't know what the hell to watch.  I re-watched (listened to) Angel again - decent show once it gets going, like all Whedon's stuff it's slow for the first season or so.

I really need HBO to step on it and start cranking out more shows for me to enjoy.  I would also please like it if mainstream viewers would demand better TV series like Millennium and The Shield and Firefly, thanks!

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
sporky
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 06, 2012, 08:32:30 AM »

We just watched through the second season of Friday Night Lights, and it's definitely worth a look. Many characters with deep development, great writing. I skipped watching it for a long while because Texas/football, but it's really good. Here's the wiki, and I'll find a review synopses somewheres:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_Night_Lights_(TV_series)

Here's a review of the first episode:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/03/arts/television/03heff.html

People were always getting ready for tomorrow. I didn't believe in that. Tomorrow wasn't getting ready for them. It didn't even know they were there.
Palmer Eldritch

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 06, 2012, 10:09:31 AM »

Still waiting for the last season of Breaking Bad.

Been watching Twin Peaks from start to finish; what a great show, even today. It's a shame that it doesn't maintain the same quality throughout the 2nd season. I didn't remember David Duchovny playing a transvestite FBI agent though, that was a funny surprise.

Hm, what else. There is a silly show called Workaholics, ever heard of it? I was skeptical at first, but eventually it won me over. It is somewhat similar to It's always sunny in Philadelphia.

sporky
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 06, 2012, 11:33:58 AM »

I had read that Twin Peaks got the "executive" treatment, with the suits deciding that the viewing public needed it's mysteries solved and ambiguity lessened. There's a really obvious divide between the all-Lynch episodes, and the fucked-with ones later.

Palmer Eldritch

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 06, 2012, 08:25:31 PM »

I had read that Twin Peaks got the "executive" treatment, with the suits deciding that the viewing public needed it's mysteries solved and ambiguity lessened. There's a really obvious divide between the all-Lynch episodes, and the fucked-with ones later.

That's what I had heard as well. Thing is, this is the first time I watched the entire show, including the pilot and the movie. I expected much worse from the second season, but it wasn't that bad. The lack of ambiguity was disappointing, and it goes further downhill after the big revelation. In spite of that, there are some good moments and I did not regret watching it. I liked the movie as well because it provided some additional background to the case, but you basically have to accept the supernatural at that point, which is a shame.

Sort of spoilerish; the worst part of the second season is the supervillanous antagonist who shows up in the later part. Sure, they gave some hints about him earlier (perhaps as early as the 1st season, I'm not sure), so at least there was some foundation for his role, but the character was too cartoonish for that show. Although I liked his dialogue lines, he was not credible - it seems implausible that he would be able to move around undetected in such a small community.
suibhne
DS Silver Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 06, 2012, 10:15:09 PM »

Old news, I know, but I'm rather enjoying the recent (6 years ago) reboot of Doctor Who.
Lgrayman

Ḥashshāshīn

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 07, 2012, 12:10:05 AM »

I've been watching the following shows over the past month or so:

1) Boardwalk Empire - A lot of people say this is all bark and no bite, so to speak. A nicely done set, good actors and what have you, but ultimately hollow. I couldn't disagree more and think it's an utterly fantastic and gripping show, even season 1 which in particular gets a lot of flack.

2) Sons of Anarchy - I didn't expect to like this show but I did. The first 2 seasons are really good television. Not up to the standard of good HBO/AMC shows, but still good. However, season 3 has been fairly terrible, so I'll probably stop watching it now.

3) Homeland. I had heard a ton of praise for this show and, well, it deserves it. Great show. Very suspenseful and thrilling, as it should be.

4) Sherlock. The new series that recently aired. It's a good show, but I'd say this series was worse than the previous one due to it seeming sillier, with things like
(click to show/hide)
and a lot of contrivances (even more than usual).

Anyone want to recommend me a new TV show? Some of my favourites include Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, The Sopranos, Firefly and The Wire.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 12:23:37 AM by Lgrayman » Logged
sporky
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 07, 2012, 10:51:53 AM »

I haven't seen it yet, but Luck looks good, has got Dustin Hoffman, Nick Nolte, and the guy who wrote Deadwood.

Secondsies on Homeland.

I won't be watching anything but Friday Night Lights till we run out, but after that will check out Luck

@Lgrayman: Have you watched Dollhouse yet? It's definitely up there with Firefly, except with a slow start.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 10:54:01 AM by sporky » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: