Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Character Generation  (Read 27028 times)
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2008, 10:56:47 AM »

Some screens for your amusement and suggestions.

As you can see, you can pick your gender, skin color, hair style, scars, facial paint, beards (men only, no dwarves), and circlets for the girls.

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
sport
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 12:32:24 PM »

Question on skin color, how dark and light can it be?  There's not a color as light as an albino or some such for example?  And for darkness, are there darker people in the world?  Being that it's loosely based on a "Roman Empire"-type setting, is a "black" character an option or not? 

Also the screen is very clear to me, it's not as though people could end up confused about how to create each thing or what they mean. 
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 12:35:34 PM »

No albino or black-skinned characters.
Starwars

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 12:37:51 PM »

I really, really like how this is looking. Watching the screens makes me want to click on all the arrows... *click click click*

About how many variations for the tabs are there? How many faces, hairstyles etc?

I like the Merchant. It's appealing to me to play an old bald guy with a beard for some strange reason... Fits well into the image of a greedy merchant.

Vince: "We strongly believe that the hardcore player doesn't want to be loved, but wants to be kicked in the balls and then kneed in the face."

Check out some of my home-recordings: http://www.youtube.com/user/Starwars83/videos?flow=grid&view=0
sport
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 12:40:06 PM »

No albino or black-skinned characters.
That's good, I was thinking they'd be out of place.  It's a better choice than "your characters can look however you want!" and end up with certain folk making people pale as a vampire, or green or some other ridiculous color.
juanpablo87
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 12:40:57 PM »

cool...
the color of skin menu has changed...?(I don' t remember...)...it  seems darker...I go to see "old" screens

However....:when another video?
on conversation..,on character creation...or combat!?

Tongue

Silver Sword - Portale italiano dedicato ai Giochi di Ruolo
Samurai Jack
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 12:41:05 PM »

It has a lot more options than I expected. The merchant looks great. Thumbs up, guys!
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 12:45:22 PM »

About how many variations for the tabs are there? How many faces, hairstyles etc?
3, I think. 3 faces x 2 genders x 2 age (young/old) x 3 skin colors x 3 hairstyles per gender x 3 beards/circlets x scars and face paint (FREEEDAAAAM!!!!). Nothing crazy, but that's a lot of variations.

My current character is a guy who looks like 300's Leonidas.
Jedi_Learner
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 12:55:59 PM »

Just a few things I've noticed:

• Red Square - I'd make the black box smaller to just fit the word male, like the female box and then align it with the above male symbol.

• Yellow Square - I'd get rid of the trade box, and just have the background heading and the list of professions. I'd make the colour of the profession currently chosen a stronger colour than you already have like red, or you could give it a slight glow or something.

• Green Square - A couple of the letters are cut off, the "g" in damage and "R" in reaction. Any chance you could make the windows slightly bigger?

• Blue Square - If women can't have beards, will the appropriate arrows and header have a darker tone than the others, or will they be removed?

[attachment deleted by admin]

I'd like to take a moment here and address the issue of expectations. There is nothing revolutionary or evolutionary about AoD. I hope it will be a good game, nothing else.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 01:00:19 PM »

I'll let Oscar comment on these suggestions.
Jedi_Learner
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 01:01:06 PM »

I hope you don't think I'm nit-picking. Sad

I'd like to take a moment here and address the issue of expectations. There is nothing revolutionary or evolutionary about AoD. I hope it will be a good game, nothing else.
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 01:07:19 PM »

3, I think. 3 faces x 2 genders x 2 age (young/old) x 3 skin colors x 3 hairstyles per gender x 3 beards/circlets x scars and face paint (FREEEDAAAAM!!!!). Nothing crazy, but that's a lot of variations.

My current character is a guy who looks like 300's Leonidas.

Let me correct you:

- 3 Skins: Pale, common and tanned.
- 3 Faces: Normal, scarred and painted.
- 3 Hairstyles per gender, with 4 variations (black, brown, blond, white).
- 3 Beards for male, with the 4 color variations.
- 2 Circlets for each female hairstyle, one golden and one silver.

I had an old face for each gender, but it was hardly noticiable in the game. As a matter of fact you had to zoom to the highest level to notice them, so it was kinda pointless to add them.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 01:17:08 PM by Oscar » Logged

Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 01:14:48 PM »

I hope you don't think I'm nit-picking. Sad

Yes, you are. Wink

But it's alright, I like you attention to detail, and they are good points. Let me comment on each one.

Just a few things I've noticed:

• Red Square - I'd make the black box smaller to just fit the word male, like the female box and then align it with the above male symbol.

Sure, sounds good.

• Yellow Square - I'd get rid of the trade box, and just have the background heading and the list of professions. I'd make the colour of the profession currently chosen a stronger colour than you already have like red, or you could give it a slight glow or something.

I'll keep the trade window for now, as I like how it currently looks. As for the color, sure, I'll make it more noticiable.

• Green Square - A couple of the letters are cut off, the "g" in damage and "R" in reaction. Any chance you could make the windows slightly bigger?

Sure, I'll fix them. I'm still not decided if I should make the words plain text or buttons. Buttons look better, but they are a pain in the ass to make and modify, and I really want to spend my time elsewhere. Which windows are you talking about, BTW?

• Blue Square - If women can't have beards, will the appropriate arrows and header have a darker tone than the others, or will they be removed?

Yes, the buttons on the side should be grey. I forgot to make them.

Jedi_Learner
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 01:33:14 PM »

Which windows are you talking about, BTW?

Sorry, I mean the dark background behind the "Damage Bonus" and "Reaction Bonus". I think you should keep it as plain text as it looks good enough.

Hector
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 06:00:43 PM »

Wouldn't it be easier to just have the one that changes based on whether male or female is selected?  Granted, that would mean having the same number of circlets as beards, but I doubt it would change a great deal and would save screen real estate for something else to be added, should you wish to.  Or it would simply allow for the Done and Cancel buttons to be separate from everything else.

For once we get a game with evil options that let you play malevolent character not just an obnoxious cunt. Happy times.

"Pardon me, good sir, might I take a moment to stab you in the lungs?"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: