Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Release Date  (Read 10293 times)
Gondolin
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 05:46:24 AM »

Sigh.  Sad

I say no to demon ponies.
GhanBuriGhan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 06:35:09 AM »

The keyword being probably which means very likely, but not definite. I personally see Decadence coming out early next year.

Quote from: Vince D. Weller
I want to release the game this year - April 28th 2005 (Ref)

Summer 2006 is more likely. - November 12th 2005 (Ref)

At this point the mid-summer release date looks reasonable. - January 30th 2006 (Ref)

lol

Ouch. Has it been that long?

------------------------------------------=====================---------------------------------------
"Merely killing those being mean to me. It's not my fault it's everyone in the world of AoD". (Vahhabyte)
MaximB
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 06:45:36 AM »

The keyword being probably which means very likely, but not definite. I personally see Decadence coming out early next year.

I want to release the game this year - April 28th 2005 (Ref)

Summer 2006 is more likely. - November 12th 2005 (Ref)

At this point the mid-summer release date looks reasonable. - January 30th 2006 (Ref)

lol

Well , they moved an engine, changed all the graphics, fixed all their dialogs, you know the deal...
MAYBE this year Wink

Ouch. Has it been that long?
Squirly
Journeyman

Sproing!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 08:56:17 AM »

It's alright guys. The way I figure it, we'll have Fallout 3 by the end of next month and we''ll play that and get all misty-eyed and depressed (and suicidal) and then we'll play AoD and... not get depressed?

I hope, but then I haven't seen anything with this much promise in years. YEARS I TELL YOU!

I'll wait. Gladly.

Not patiently, but I'll wait.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 09:28:58 AM »

We started in March 2004. So, yeah, it's been THAT long.

Anyway, first, let me clarify the 2005 comments. We had a 2D version and it was playable. We could have definitely released the game in 2006. However, the game looked like shit and would have failed miserably. We had to move to 3D, which made a lot of things easier and which also quadrupled the workload and requirements for details.

The progress we've made is in front of you. It should be clear that we *are*getting closer to the release, that it took a lot of work, years of work, to get where we are today, and that all that time wasn't wasted.

I'm not promising anything here. We'll take as much time as we need, but I can't estimate it due to the part-time nature of the project. Can AoD be released in 2008? Yes. IF everything goes smoothly. If everyone is able to spend at least 4-5 hours a day for the next 4 months. If these are quality, uninterrupted  hours (vs "I'm tired and can't think straight" hours"). If everything works as intended and doesn't require adjustments. If we don't have spend time changing things. Females look much better now, thanks to you guys, but that was 10 days of work.

Again, keep in mind that it's a part-time project. I'm not making excuses here, just explaining that our development year is at best 4-5 months of a full-time year. 

I'm not making any "release date" comments or promises. Current status: "in development". That's all I can tell you. We'll do our best to entertain you on our forums while you're waiting.

Thanks.
Squirly
Journeyman

Sproing!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 09:58:17 AM »

So...next year then?

Goddammit!
DigitalOverride
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 12:04:15 PM »

We'll do our best to entertain you on our forums while you're waiting.

Thanks.

In my opinion you have certainly succeeded in this regard. I have never before seen developers come close to the level of community participation shown on this forum. The level at which you not only actively listen to your fans but also take their suggestions to heart is, as far as I am concerned, simply unprecedented. It also helps that you all seem fairly grounded and are willing to accept constructive criticism; a sharp contrast to many, many other developers.

2008 or not, I for one will be eagerly awaiting the release. Keep up the good work and, in Vince's case, the storytelling! *grins*
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 07:55:15 AM »

It's a very unusual business model, and one that could set the industry standard on its pointy head.  What I like about it is that people creating the game can take as much time as they want to include details and flourishes they think are important.

An artist working for a game studio has a series of benchmarks to reach.  When a 3D modeler creates a house with an interior with furniture, lights, typical items, etc, he can only dedicate so many of his paid hours to do it.  Can he add a scrolled banister in the foyer?  How about a stained glass window?  Is it in the design doc?  No, it is not.  He can build exactly what he's paid to build because he's on a schedule.

Imagine a painter trying to create a landscape scene in the Rockies.  Imagine he only has 7 tubes of paint.  He needs 9 tubes to realize his vision, but his publisher has only funded 7.  Also, that painting of the Los Angeles skyline has to be started soon or he's going to be late on his submission.  Is this how great art is created?

My novel is published! DREAMLANDS
juanpablo87
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 09:25:44 AM »

We started in March 2004. So, yeah, it's been THAT long.

Anyway, first, let me clarify the 2005 comments. We had a 2D version and it was playable. We could have definitely released the game in 2006. However, the game looked like shit and would have failed miserably. We had to move to 3D, which made a lot of things easier and which also quadrupled the workload and requirements for details.

The progress we've made is in front of you. It should be clear that we *are*getting closer to the release, that it took a lot of work, years of work, to get where we are today, and that all that time wasn't wasted.

I'm not promising anything here. We'll take as much time as we need, but I can't estimate it due to the part-time nature of the project. Can AoD be released in 2008? Yes. IF everything goes smoothly. If everyone is able to spend at least 4-5 hours a day for the next 4 months. If these are quality, uninterrupted  hours (vs "I'm tired and can't think straight" hours"). If everything works as intended and doesn't require adjustments. If we don't have spend time changing things. Females look much better now, thanks to you guys, but that was 10 days of work.

Again, keep in mind that it's a part-time project. I'm not making excuses here, just explaining that our development year is at best 4-5 months of a full-time year. 

I'm not making any "release date" comments or promises. Current status: "in development". That's all I can tell you. We'll do our best to entertain you on our forums while you're waiting.

Thanks.

Awesome post... Shocked
really...

Silver Sword - Portale italiano dedicato ai Giochi di Ruolo
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2008, 09:45:21 AM »

In my opinion you have certainly succeeded in this regard. I have never before seen developers come close to the level of community participation shown on this forum. The level at which you not only actively listen to your fans but also take their suggestions to heart is, as far as I am concerned, simply unprecedented. It also helps that you all seem fairly grounded and are willing to accept constructive criticism; a sharp contrast to many, many other developers.
Thanks, Override. We appreciate your support.
Brother None
DS Bronze Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 10:34:59 AM »

Imagine a painter trying to create a landscape scene in the Rockies.  Imagine he only has 7 tubes of paint.  He needs 9 tubes to realize his vision, but his publisher has only funded 7.  Also, that painting of the Los Angeles skyline has to be started soon or he's going to be late on his submission.  Is this how great art is created?

Uh, yes, pretty much. Most of the great art in this world was not done out of love but for money. There were always eccentrics who worked for themselves, but van Rijn's Night Watch? Michaelangelo's Sistine Chapel? Most of Vermeer's works? All done for massive amounts of money, all done with very tight schedules and a critical eye by the people holding the purse-strings. Hell, the Sistine Chapel even had heavy censorship when some cardinal ordained fig leaves to be painted over all the private parts.

People have this odd idyllic view of art. Art is just business in the past. It was business then, and by some fluke of history it's become art now. The only free art is government-sponsored, and that's just a stack of talentless hacks.

't is fairly reminiscent of BIS/Troika in the good old days. A "by gamers for gamers" model that died a painful death and is no longer viable in a gaming industry blanketed by hordes of B-grade PR guys.
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2008, 10:10:33 AM »

Okay, sure, art is done for money.  I'm thinking of the 21st century (non-"commercial artist") artist, who typically has as much time as he needs to complete what he's doing.  IMO, whether he gets paid or not, the artist who has as much bloody time as he wants is going to get closer to achieving his own best result.  Someone writing his first novel, sans contract, is an example of this.

Maybe I'm wearing the rose-tinted glasses, but I still think this is a better way to make a computer game than EA's old 80-hour/week pressure cooker model.

My novel is published! DREAMLANDS
Brother None
DS Bronze Patrons

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2008, 10:53:16 AM »

Okay, sure, art is done for money.  I'm thinking of the 21st century (non-"commercial artist") artist, who typically has as much time as he needs to complete what he's doing.  IMO, whether he gets paid or not, the artist who has as much bloody time as he wants is going to get closer to achieving his own best result.  Someone writing his first novel, sans contract, is an example of this.

Maybe I'm wearing the rose-tinted glasses, but I still think this is a better way to make a computer game than EA's old 80-hour/week pressure cooker model.

I'm not disagreeing that this is a better business model, but I do disagree to ascribing this to relative levels of artistic.

Art is usually something to be judged in retrospect and often it just comes into being through a really odd falling together of different circumstances. This is definitely the case for games like Fallout and PS:T. A perfect model to make art just doesn't exist, but you can create models that best suit the kind of game you're making. EA's pressure cooker is well suited to their bland reiterations of old concepts, just like IT's model is suited for its niche intentions.
sport
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2008, 01:33:38 PM »

Females look much better now, thanks to you guys, but that was 10 days of work.

I haven't been at the closest attention since this is the first time I've checked this forum in about a month.  But did you actually go with giving more clothing to the females, or are they still rather...debriefed?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: