Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGThe Age of Decadence (Moderator: Vahha)A conversation with Marcus Cornelius Arvina
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A conversation with Marcus Cornelius Arvina  (Read 30994 times)
Mad Mantis
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2008, 04:47:08 am »

I thought that that machine was a kind of semi-mechanical, semi-magical device, with that "rite" thing being *required* to be recited, along with managing the physical controls in order to make the whole thing to work. And I liked that.
Now, however, I clearly see that it's a normal machine, and the "mantra" is just a step-by-spep manual.

The fact that it is a normal machine is what I liked about it. There is a dark age of technology going on, sort of similar to WH40K. People are ignorant on the use of technology and the rites are just their instruction manuals. Since they don’t understand what they are using they made up a superstitious rite that should help them get the function they want every time they use it. Nowadays a lot of people also do that with things they don’t really understand.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2008, 08:25:01 am »

Vince, a doubt has just poped into my mind... the first time I saw this pic, I thought that that machine was a kind of semi-mechanical, semi-magical device, with that "rite" thing being *required* to be recited, along with managing the physical controls in order to make the whole thing to work. And I liked that.
Now, however, I clearly see that it's a normal machine, and the "mantra" is just a step-by-spep manual.
Can you, please, clarify this?
It's a normal machine. The mantra is an operation manual for people who don't understand what exactly they are doing.
Claw

Adun Toridas!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2008, 10:52:47 am »

I don't mind how INT and Lore work, but I wonder if there are intermediate steps. It would make sense if a character could recognize an astrolabe without knowing how to use it, or at least realize that it's not a magic amulet of protection.

My bet the genius will be wearing the "amulet" for some time before he begins to doubt Markus' claim.
Eh, I'd say someone who wears that thing hoping it'll magically protect him doesn't qualify as genius.
Ellorien
Master

Mindflayer

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2008, 11:29:53 am »

My bet the genius will be wearing the "amulet" for some time before he begins to doubt Markus' claim.
Eh, I'd say someone who wears that thing hoping it'll magically protect him doesn't qualify as genius.

In AoD world where loremasters speak mantras before pulling levers?
You give uneducated geniuses too much credit.

μολὼν λαβέ
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2008, 11:41:24 am »

In AoD world where loremasters speak mantras before pulling levers?
While they are pulling levers. They recite mantas to confirm each step and follow steps in correct orders.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: