Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGThe Age of Decadence (Moderator: Vahha)A conversation with Marcus Cornelius Arvina
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A conversation with Marcus Cornelius Arvina  (Read 30991 times)
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 09:23:34 am »

What do you think of this style to introduce special and rare items? I mean instead of simply displaying them in the inventory and giving you the exact (+3 vs gnomes) descriptions? It makes sense that each trader would try to embellish rare items, often giving you completely false information out of ignorance. Opinions?
FireStomp

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 09:52:08 am »

I like that idea a lot, but I still hope we can et some interesting backstory and lore on the items, rather than "Yeah, yeah, great, so Jimmy, whaddya think about this brand spankin' newly-uncovered knife, huh? It's shiiiiiiny..."

But yeah, that sounds really cool.

So, wait, if only crossbows get the spyglass, what can you do with bows?

"Man is a marvelous curiosity. When he is at his very, very best he is a sort of low grade nickel-plated angel; at his worst he is unspeakable, unimaginable; and first and last and all the time he is a sarcasm." - Samuel L. Clemens
Julius
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 09:59:49 am »

How about getting insight depending on your lore skill?

GAME MUST BE RELEASED
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2008, 10:11:00 am »

I like that idea a lot, but I still hope we can et some interesting backstory and lore on the items, rather than "Yeah, yeah, great, so Jimmy, whaddya think about this brand spankin' newly-uncovered knife, huh? It's shiiiiiiny..."
I'm not talking about backstories, I'm talking about sales pitch here. If you have low INT/lore, you'll get "Magical amulet that uses the power of the sun to protect you against swords and arrows.". If you have high INT/lore, then you get a proper description. Funny enough, I'm sure that people who haven't seen this thread would probably feel more secure after putting on the magical amulet.

So, wait, if only crossbows get the spyglass, what can you do with bows?
You can either laminate the bow strengthening it and allowing greater draw weight (higher penetration) or trade the power for flexibility: the bow is easier to draw, but it's less powerful because of that (less penetration, higher speed).

Edit: There are a lot of arrow/bolt upgrades (masterwork, hardened edge, poison, liquid fire, etc).

How about getting insight depending on your lore skill?
That's exactly how it works. See the Let's Play thread.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 10:15:08 am by Vince » Logged
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2008, 10:47:13 am »

- adds text-adventure options (that's where you can be a real sniper)

No way.  I'm concerned that this might be a little too awesome.  If I personally knew any turn-based haters, I'd be emailing them posthaste to increase their efforts.  Wait until the game is released and you'll be too late!!

Regarding "balancing" swords, I'm concerned that that doesn't make any sense.  Perhaps you've done the research I'm too lazy to do myself, but I thought a balanced sword had to be forged from scratch, and that you couldn't just add a lead ball to the haft.

For your edification, the chu-ko-nu, repeating fire crossbow: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chu_Ko_Nu
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 10:50:02 am by screeg » Logged

FireStomp

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2008, 10:50:37 am »

I'm not talking about backstories, I'm talking about sales pitch here. If you have low INT/lore, you'll get "Magical amulet that uses the power of the sun to protect you against swords and arrows.". If you have high INT/lore, then you get a proper description. Funny enough, I'm sure that people who haven't seen this thread would probably feel more secure after putting on the magical amulet.

Ah, got it. Sorry, I had misunderstood. That's perfect.

"Man is a marvelous curiosity. When he is at his very, very best he is a sort of low grade nickel-plated angel; at his worst he is unspeakable, unimaginable; and first and last and all the time he is a sarcasm." - Samuel L. Clemens
Ellorien
Master

Mindflayer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2008, 10:53:03 am »

So, if my Lore is low, I would never get a proper discription of any 'non-mundane' item? I assume I can pay a loremaster to identify those items. Any other options? Like finding old books/scrolls that mention certain items so I can figure out what my 'artifacts' are for? At least some of them?
For example, a diary of an adventurer or a hunter.

μολὼν λαβέ
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2008, 10:58:50 am »

Regarding "balancing" swords, I'm concerned that that doesn't make any sense.  Perhaps you've done the research I'm too lazy to do myself, but I thought a balanced sword had to be forged from scratch, and that you couldn't just add a lead ball to the haft.
Balancing does imply reforging weapons. There are plenty of forging activities in the game. Let's say you found a couple of nice steel daggers. You melt them (you lose some metal in the process though) and forge a short sword. So, you don't have to sell weapons. You can melt them and save the metal for a nice armor set. When your crafting skill goes up, I'd also recommend forging new, better weapons as the quality is tied to your skill. A master craftsman can make a weapon worthy of a king, while an apprentice can make a basic weapon.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2008, 11:10:28 am »

So, if my Lore is low, I would never get a proper discription of any 'non-mundane' item?
Correct.

I assume I can pay a loremaster to identify those items.
Good idea! I'm sure that Feng will be more than happy to help you out:

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=149.msg6502#msg6502

Any other options? Like finding old books/scrolls that mention certain items so I can figure out what my 'artifacts' are for? At least some of them?
For example, a diary of an adventurer or a hunter.
Even if you are told that it's an astrolabe and explained what it does, what are the odds that you can actually use it to chart a route to some location? See what I mean?
Ellorien
Master

Mindflayer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2008, 11:42:25 am »

Even if you are told that it's an astrolabe and explained what it does, what are the odds that you can actually use it to chart a route to some location? See what I mean?

If I pay a loremaster to explain how the astrolabe works, am I still unable to use it?  Confused

μολὼν λαβέ
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2008, 11:55:57 am »

Depends on your intelligence. I've never worked with astrolabes before, but I have some experience with sextants (I used to be a sailor), and I can assure you that it's not an intuitive and user-friendly instrument. I assume that astrolabes are even less user-friendly and require a lot more knowledge and understanding.

Do you feel that a loremaster who can actually tell you what it is (did you click on that link?), should be able to teach you how to operate an astrolabe regardless of your INT? Why? Just curious.

Edit: What do y'all think about the art and quality of icons?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 12:01:47 pm by Vince » Logged
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2008, 12:07:31 pm »

I thought the quality of the art was outstanding, AAA quality stuff, but I prefer the in-thread closeup over the link to imageshack.

FireStomp

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2008, 12:18:15 pm »

Is there any practical difference between using INT or Lore? Or must we have both raised to a sufficient level?

For instance, if I picked up the astrolabe, and had a high INT score but little-to-no Lore, could I merely puzzle out what it does and how to make it do that? And, having done so, is there then any difference between my experience with it and another's?

JESUS
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2008, 12:21:39 pm »

I get more excited about this game everytime i visit the forum.

The art quality is great, and the interaction with NPCs are better then any game out there (even in fallout i don't remember so much details).

If i understand correctly if you have enough INT but is not a loremaster you could use the astrolabe?
Maybe you can have enough INT to be taught how to use it by the loremaster who ID it for you, more money for that and more time passed too (like the implants in fallout).

I don't know if i jump the wagon of ideas for you to improve a already great game ( it seens so far), or the other impacient wagon of "finish it already i need my rpg fix". Grin
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2008, 12:31:19 pm »

Is there any practical difference between using INT or Lore? Or must we have both raised to a sufficient level?

For instance, if I picked up the astrolabe, and had a high INT score but little-to-no Lore, could I merely puzzle out what it does and how to make it do that? And, having done so, is there then any difference between my experience with it and another's?
None whatsoever. High INT helps you figure out how it works and what the practical implications are. High Lore includes a crash course on astrolabes (you recall studying a treatise on astrolabes). Either INT or Lore is sufficient to work with the device.

I get more excited about this game everytime i visit the forum.
Thank you, Jesus!  Grin

If i understand correctly if you have enough INT but is not a loremaster you could use the astrolabe?
Yes.

Maybe you can have enough INT to be taught how to use it by the loremaster who ID it for you, more money for that and more time passed too (like the implants in fallout).
It's probably a good idea. We can lower the INT requirement to use it IF you are explained properly what the astrolabe does. As you understand, we don't have the standard "identify it for me, plz!" feature and you have to rely on people who aren't very reliable.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: