Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGThe Age of Decadence (Moderator: Vahhabyte)A conversation with Marcus Cornelius Arvina
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A conversation with Marcus Cornelius Arvina  (Read 21708 times)
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2008, 08:08:28 PM »

Welcome to "The Lucky Shot" store! If you see anything you like, just ask me. Ah, what the hell, I've got time, so I'll tell you anyway.

This little guy here is a nothing but a toy. Can't shoot straight no matter what you do with it and has no power, but I suppose you can't miss if you shove it in someone's face, can you? You can hold it with one hand and I don't think I have to tell you what that means.

Now this here is a real crossbow. As standard as they come. Good, accurate, reliable. That's my number one choice. I fought two wars with it and I have nothing but good things to say about it. However, if you want something bigger and better, try its cousin over here. The difference? Take a look at that bow. That's a big motherfucker. It will take you longer to bend that bow for another shot, but it will punch a clean hole through any armor.

This? This here is our latest import. All the way from ... goddammit ... always forget the name of that shithole. Anyway, my point is, it's exotic shit. Will cost you triple if you've got the coin. This strange-looking bird has two bows. They are vertical, of course, otherwise, how the hell would you load the second bow? You know what that means? You can shoot twice without reloading. Sweet little deal, eh?

And the last one is what we call a repeating crossbow in this business. See this box on top? Load it up with ten bolts, aim, and fire. No, it's not fully automatic, although I've heard things you aint gonna believe... So, you still have to reload it after each shot, but it will only take a heartbeat or two. Obviously, it aint nearly as powerful as the heavy crossbow, but if speed is your thing, you can't go wrong with this one. If you've got the coin, that is.

If you don't have enough coins I can accept interesting trades. Last week one of them funny hats even traded me a magic amulet for a nice repeater. Ostorlab or asterlab, he called it.  It speaks to the sun, so I don't have to explain you that it has all kinds of power. You know what the funny hat told me? "Neither sword nor arrow shall touch ye, Marcus!" That's what he told me, word for word. I figured a mighty artifact like that is worth at least a thousand coins. What do you say, stranger? You figure your life is worth a thousand coins? No?

How about this magic tube then? None of that speaking to the sun nonsense. You point it at anything and it will instantly appear in this crystal, as close as if you were standing next to it. Now that's real magic and don't even think about telling me otherwise. You can use it for anything, I suppose, but if you're real smart, you'll ask me to put it on one of those crossbows you were looking at earlier. You know why? Because Marcus Cornelius Arvina is a practical man! I have no interest in stars and moons, but I have a lot of interest in seeing a soon-to-be-a-dead-man up close and personal in that magic crystal. What do you say? Five hundred coins on account it being a one of a kind artifact and all?

So where are you heading to? Maadoran? It's a shithole. Want to see the Death Court, I bet. Everyone does. Well, it's dead alright. It's been dead since those damned Qantari blasted a hole the size of a small town in Maadoran walls and anything that happened to be near them. Even though it's been a few hundred years, nothing grows there and nothing can live there. From what I hear some folks do try to go there every now and then, but the sickness claims them pretty fast. It's quite a sight though. The glowing spots, the floating debris, the twisted ruins. They did fuck it up real good, that's for sure. No wonder folks want to see it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 08:20:26 PM by Oscar » Logged
Pastel
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 08:40:25 PM »

Wait do sniper crossbows actually work? Isn't the low speed going to make the fall quite big at longer distances, and render the scope useless?
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 08:44:41 PM »

Google says they work.

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/2047,features,weapons-of-brash-destruction,2

Edit: Here is more info on that precision hunting crossbow, including a picture of a guy aiming and using the scope.

http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/publish/DaveConrad-0001/Field_Evaluation_BowTech.shtml

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 08:47:28 PM by Vince » Logged
Samurai Jack
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 08:51:44 PM »

Great stuff! More please!
dmiller
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 09:28:31 PM »

Pretty neat. Is the crossbow the only type of weapon that can be improved upon like this?
Ellorien
Master

Mindflayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 12:43:32 AM »

A nice sniper crossbow.
The astrolabe and the spyglass - are they really "one of a kind" artifacts? I am asking because your Marcus Cornelius sounds like a snake-oil salesman.  lol A thousand coins! I think a loremaster would have a better deal in your shop.

Oh, and that blast was... interesting. Who are Qantari?

μολὼν λαβέ
Q
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 01:57:03 AM »

Is any crossbow in the game can be upgraded with tis scope? Are we always detected when we shoot someone from long distance, or we can hide somewhere and go killing unseen.  I like sniper tactics a lot.
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 01:57:29 AM »

Cool sales pitch.  lol

The items are nice as well. Wink

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
Granite
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 03:17:24 AM »

If my AoD lore is yet in shape, the Qantari are extraplanar beings. Am I right, Vince?
Pastel
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 04:27:36 AM »

Google says they work.

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/2047,features,weapons-of-brash-destruction,2

Edit: Here is more info on that precision hunting crossbow, including a picture of a guy aiming and using the scope.

http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/publish/DaveConrad-0001/Field_Evaluation_BowTech.shtml

That's pretty cool.
So how does the scope affect the crossbow? I'd go for no increase in accuracy for point blank shots, but rather a less steep drop in accuracy over length. Say, instead of going from 90% to 30% over 100m, you'd go from 90% to 50%.
Azael
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 04:32:12 AM »

I thought the Q'antari were a foreign people that the old Empire was at war with, inspired by Aztecs or something like it, but the lore might have changed and is unreliable and ambiguous by default so who knows?

Anyway, cool stuff, can't wait to shoot away with a repeating crossbow, assuming that the extra speed is a good tradefor the lesser damage.

Ceterum censeo Bethesda esse delendam
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 05:56:01 AM »

Pretty neat. Is the crossbow the only type of weapon that can be improved upon like this?

All weapons can be upgraded in different ways, but not all upgrades are visible. If you balance your sword (-1AP), it would still look the same.

The astrolabe and the spyglass - are they really "one of a kind" artifacts?

No. I wouldn't believe anything an NPC tells you.

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=89.msg1915#msg1915
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=419.msg11746#msg11746
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=419.msg11996#msg11996
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/world.htm

Is any crossbow in the game can be upgraded with tis scope?

Only 2 models can be outfitted with a scope.

Are we always detected when we shoot someone from long distance, or we can hide somewhere and go killing unseen.  I like sniper tactics a lot.

The isometric angle doesn't support sniper tactics well, so the scope does two things:
- reduces the accuracy loss (every square between you and your target reduces your chance to hit; high PER helps)
- adds text-adventure options (that's where you can be a real sniper)

If my AoD lore is yet in shape, the Qantari are extraplanar beings. Am I right, Vince?

No.

I thought the Q'antari were a foreign people that the old Empire was at war with, inspired by Aztecs or something like it...

Correct.

PS. And as you understand, the astrolabe doesn't protect you from swords and arrows, but it allows you to find locations using coordinates found elsewhere. It requires INT or Lore to either  understand how it works or to recognize the device.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 06:04:31 AM by Vince » Logged
Jedi_Learner
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 07:33:53 AM »

You should think about putting this in the manual, it would make for a nice introduction for one of the chapters?

I'd like to take a moment here and address the issue of expectations. There is nothing revolutionary or evolutionary about AoD. I hope it will be a good game, nothing else.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 08:18:05 AM »

Great idea! Maybe an entire manual written in this style? From different characters' point of view, of course. An Imperial Guardsman take on stats should be interesting.
Pastel
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 09:06:48 AM »

Great idea! Maybe an entire manual written in this style? From different characters' point of view, of course. An Imperial Guardsman take on stats should be interesting.
That's how the Zeus manual was written, and it was pretty awesome.
Also make sure to put in some nifty illustrations.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: