Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A Few Characters  (Read 46936 times)
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2008, 01:35:30 pm »

That's historically accurate though. From the first belly dancing site I googled:

I stand corrected. Still, though...bras. Why?
Good question, but I don't have the answer. Basically, we didn't want to go with bare boobs and put "something" on her. Something that goes with the original half naked look. I suppose we can put a full shirt on her, but then we probably would have to put a shirt on the male gladiator too.

Edit:

The girl armor with the chafing leather is ridiculous. It needs a strophium. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Brassiere
I see your link and raise you this:

http://www.open.ac.uk/Arts/classtud/cbaw/stafford.htm

"The strophion is usually just a cloth band tied around the breasts, though one example has shoulder straps, resembling a modern bra [see image above]; the strapless variety can also be seen in a number of Roman representations, which will be adduced as parallels."
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2008, 01:43:12 pm »

I suppose we can put a full shirt on her, but then we probably would have to put a shirt on the male gladiator too.

I believe he is talking about the bra in the belly dancer, since that's what you were talking about...

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2008, 01:47:54 pm »

I don't think so. "The girl armor...."
MF
Journeyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2008, 02:12:54 pm »

I don't think so. "The girl armor...."

Yeah, just to clarify : I meant both. I was saying that the bra on the belly dance is an anachronism that transcends fiction. VD just presented an example of a strophium with leather straps, which is sort of like a bra, I guess. Still, that thing on the belly dancer is just a bra. Bras are a very modern thing.

The other thing was that the gladiatress (is that a word? Firefox doesn't think so) would benefit from a cloth band around her breasts to prevent chafing and actually be able to perform athletics. Might be useful in battle not to have them bouncing around.

The common factor in those two points is that a cloth band is not a bra.
Fosse
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2008, 04:03:57 pm »

is that a word?
No.  But "gladiator" is.  And it isn't sex specific.

I agree on the cloth band.  She needs something.  I don't know enough about bras or authentic looking ancient clothes to comment on the veiled woman.
Claw

Adun Toridas!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2008, 04:21:50 pm »

It's already changed. We have different hairs now.
Maybe you really are a god.

Ptah?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 04:23:37 pm by Claw » Logged
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2008, 05:37:07 pm »

Bras are a very modern thing.
Wiki disagrees with you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brassiere#History

"Brassiere or bikini-like garments are depicted on some female athletes in the 1400s BC during the Minoan civilization era.
In China during the Ming dynasty a form of foundation clothe complete with cups and straps drawn over shoulders and tied to the girth seam at the lower back called a dudou was in vogue among the rich women."

MF
Journeyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2008, 06:40:36 pm »

Wiki disagrees with you:

They're not bras. The Chinese things resemble bikinis, but the Roman things are just cloths tied directly over or just under the breasts.

But you know, I was probably fed too many Roman bathhouse fresco's in grammar school. To me, it's like a wristwatch in a Rubens painting, but I'm beginning to think I've underestimated the level at which the bra is being taken for granted.

I guess it works. But it feels out of place to me.
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2008, 07:43:03 am »

I think you're all harping on too much about the technology and not enough about functionality.  It's an academic question whether the Romans wore bras.  The ability to weave cloth and tan leather existed, so in AoD there could be bras.

I think everyone agrees the strap across the boobulas just looks insufficient to the task at hand.  I think you should keep it for another model with a less physically challenging profession, like maybe just a slave running errands.

contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal:Arbiter's Mark | Stygian
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Encased | ATOM RPG | Realms Beyond | Fell Seal:Missions&Monsters | Urtuk: The Desolation
MaximB
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2008, 08:04:25 am »

I think everyone agrees the strap across the boobulas just looks insufficient to the task at hand.

You are right.
The strap must be removed completely  (o)(o) Grin

Jedi_Learner
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2008, 08:29:03 am »

Like this?

Yes, like this.

I'd like to take a moment here and address the issue of expectations. There is nothing revolutionary or evolutionary about AoD. I hope it will be a good game, nothing else.
MaximB
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2008, 08:42:42 am »

Like this?

Yes, like this.

What is the other alternative for this outfit ?
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2008, 04:42:30 pm »

After listening to the feedback and the criticism, Ivan tweaked the female model. What do you think?

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2008, 05:26:08 pm »

Looks great!
Fosse
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2008, 05:49:04 pm »

Very much improved.  Well done. 

Those arms are still very lengthy though.  A developer posted a while ago that the hands for male and female models would have to be in the same place even if they are shaped differently, so I understand why the women have such preposterously lanky extremities, but it looks odd.

Would it be possible to meet in the middle?  Make the female and male models' arms a bit shorter?  I don't think losing an inch or two would make the men look goofy, and it might make the women look a lot less goofy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: