Iron Tower Studio ForumsRPGThe Age of Decadence (Moderator: Vahha)The Lovecraft influences?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Lovecraft influences?  (Read 6530 times)
Samurai Jack
Novice

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2008, 04:32:15 pm »

The Lovecraft influences were mentioned several times and I'm wondering about that. I thought that AoD was a game of factions and power-grabbing, so where does Lovecraft fit in? Was it always in the game or was it added later?
Hector
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 04:53:57 pm »

Possibly the theme of a highly advanced civilisation discovering things which man was not meant to know, causing madness to descend and a new dark age.

For once we get a game with evil options that let you play malevolent character not just an obnoxious cunt. Happy times.

"Pardon me, good sir, might I take a moment to stab you in the lungs?"
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 08:41:41 pm »

From the notes found in the ruins of Al-Akia arcane facility:

I talked to Xerath today. He shows no fear of what's about to come. Like his chosen brethren, he thinks that he will receive great powers from the gods, becoming an even greater warrior. His ambitions go no further. We've chosen well.

The machines have been working for days channeling the power and binding the bodies of the seven champions to our will. Their minds are so drugged, they hardly respond and recognize anyone anymore. This binding is our only way to control the gods once they claim the bodies as their own. Our power is no match for the power the gods wield, but if we can control - and destroy at whim - their physical forms, well, that changes the playing field and the nature of the game.

The ritual is completed. I still can't believe it. A few months ago we were like children, unaware of the higher life existing on different planes, and today the gods are finally here, in the flesh, bound to our plane, and hopefully, our will. We'll honor the memory of the seven warriors whose flesh the gods wear by adding their names to those of the gods. Ull should now be known as Ull-Xerath.

More?
Samurai Jack
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 10:01:54 pm »

Great stuff, guys! It sounds very different from what I imagined but I like it a lot. What happened next?
Claw

Adun Toridas!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 06:55:40 pm »

The Apocalypse.

That's why it's a post-apocalyptic game.
Sleet
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 10:42:08 am »

Very cool.
Thanks for the glimpse Vince.
Gareth

Indubitably

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 04:40:46 am »

Dammit man, spoiler tags, spoiler tags!

Can't....unread...  Cry

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

My blog
caster
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 06:01:40 am »

That was very nice. Compliments to the writer.

I just hope that it will go a bit further than that... in a sense that what they called gods turned out to be something basically incomprehensible and not really "gods" in a usual sense of the word.
It would be nice to see those people slowly realizing their mistake and/or parts of the true nature of  those  "things" slowly getting free...

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! - Albert Einstein

The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.
Mehler
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 07:45:20 am »

Ull should now be known as Ull-Xerath.
This is a nice touch. I was wondering about the hyphenated names of the gods when you mentioned them at the Codex.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 08:33:39 am »

Thanks.

I just hope that it will go a bit further than that... in a sense that what they called gods turned out to be something basically incomprehensible and not really "gods" in a usual sense of the word. It would be nice to see those people slowly realizing their mistake and/or parts of the true nature of  those  "things" slowly getting free...
Something like this?

The knowledge is overwhelming. The power is unspeakable. Every day I learn more from the gods than what I learned in decades. I'm beginning to think that I was wrong about those Q'antari. So far everything they've told us was the truth. A foolish race. They've offered us all their knowledge, showed us how to communicate with the gods - the Old Ones as they call them, taught us how to bring and bind them to our plane, without asking for anything in return...
I noticed the first change today. It was subtle, yet alarming, for it was neither explained not expected. Ull-Xerath had developed a fondness for swimming. The ocean reminds him of the endless dark void of his native plane. Today he went underwater and spent four hours in the darkness of the deep. The pressure should have crashed Ull's human form like a bug, but it didn't. The bastard did something to it, without anyone noticing. The question is what else he can do? What else *they* can do? Have we been too arrogant in our belief that we can control the gods? We shall find out tomorrow.
The Q'antari lied... How could we be so blind? The treacherous bastards played us all, and the worst humiliation of all is that we still don't understand everything that happened. No matter... We still have three gods on our side. Although they look less human with every passing hour, we can't be picky about allies in this situation. Once it's over and the Q'antari are dead, well, that would be a different matter...

I can also recommend re-reading this page now - http://www.irontowerstudio.com/world.htm (I can add that the "town of Lakia" never existed, but there was Al-Akia research facility) and this post - http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=89.msg1915#msg1915 (our old buddy Ull-Xerath is mentioned there again).

Anyway, I posted all that to give you an introduction to the main quest, to give you an idea of what it's about. For the record, what's really matter is not how everything started, but how everything ended. Also, the game was designed to be replayable, so what's important is not what you know, but what your character knows.
Wrath of Dagon
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 10:02:32 am »

I was just recently thinking, too bad there are no CRPG's based on Lovecraft. It would make a hell of a setting.

Secondly--MURDER? Merely because I had planned the duel and provoked the quarrel! Never had I heard anything so preposterous.
caster
Archmaster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 01:50:53 am »

Thanks.

I just hope that it will go a bit further than that... in a sense that what they called gods turned out to be something basically incomprehensible and not really "gods" in a usual sense of the word. It would be nice to see those people slowly realizing their mistake and/or parts of the true nature of  those  "things" slowly getting free...
Something like this?
Oooh yesss. One boxed AoD for me please.
 Smile

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! - Albert Einstein

The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: