Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Location: Maadoran Arena  (Read 62533 times)
Oscar
Developer

AoD Lead Artist

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2008, 07:18:53 pm »

This is the Maadoran Arena, where fighters die for a chance to make a few coins, providing cheap entertainment for the locals.

We'd like to know your opinion about this building. We had some poly count limit issues and had to work around them. I think that the best that we can do, but we'd like to know what you think.

[attachment deleted to save space]
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 10:00:10 am by Oscar » Logged

"Hasta la victoria, siempre."

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have it?"
Jedi_Learner
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 07:43:51 pm »

We'd like to know your opinion about this building. We had some poly count limit issues and had to work around them. I think that the best that we can do, but we'd like to know what you think.

The Maadoran Arena looks fantastic. I can hear the crowd already.

I'd like to take a moment here and address the issue of expectations. There is nothing revolutionary or evolutionary about AoD. I hope it will be a good game, nothing else.
Pastel
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 08:17:43 pm »

Are all fights to the death?
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 08:42:47 pm »

Yes.
Gilliatt
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 09:13:47 pm »

Beautiful, as usual, but I think the walls are not high enough. Seems like the fighters could jump in the crowd (if their armor is not too heavy of course). Is it possible to make them higher or is it exactly the height you wanted?
star
Journeyman

Die!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 04:31:17 am »

Are fights against animals in? So they don't have to train a new gladiator after every battle?
Pastel
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 05:41:14 am »

Yes.
I don't know the context, of course, but isn't that very unrealistic? I don't think anyone would choose a job with a 50% chance of death every day, just for getting some money. If they were slaves or something, it would make sense somewhat. But even then.
Why not non-lethal combat?
star
Journeyman

Die!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 06:22:52 am »

If they were slaves, it makes perfect sense. It worked exactly that way in old rome. And non-lethal combat? With steel axes, swords and throwing spears? That sounds unrealistic. Especially since even small flesh wounds often led to death in the dark ages before antibiotics were invented.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 06:27:27 am by star » Logged
Flop
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 06:26:53 am »

The screens look very nice, but the audience look a bit static, I think. Of course that might be because it's a screenshot and it might look different when the game runs, but the audience look like they're at the opera or something like that. Maybe a few of them could stand up, shout down at the fighters or wave their hands in the air or something?

Also, a number of gladiators in ancient Rome were volunteers, although the fights weren't always to the death, and in a world that's coming apart it doesn't seem that unrealistic for men to risk their lives for money.
Pastel
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 06:29:33 am »

If they were slaves, it makes perfect sense. It worked this way in old rome. And non-lethal combat? With steel axes, swords and throwing spears? That sounds unrealistic. Especially since even small flesh wounds often lead to death in the dark ages before antibiotics were invented.
Pretty sure that's not how it worked. Most gladiatorial combats supposedly ended non-lethally.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladiatorial_combat#Life_expectancy_of_a_Gladiator

Also, a number of gladiators in ancient Rome were volunteers, although the fights weren't always to the death, and in a world that's coming apart it doesn't seem that unrealistic for men to risk their lives for money.
Risking your life is one thing. Many people in the real world perform very risky jobs for money. However, a job where you have a 50% chance of death per match is way, way beyond risky.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 06:31:58 am by Pastel » Logged
star
Journeyman

Die!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 06:38:58 am »

Pretty sure that's not how it worked. Most gladiatorial combats supposedly ended non-lethally.

"French historian George Villes evaluated 100 fights from the 1st century CE, involving 200 gladiators, and found that 19 gladiators had lost their lives.[citation needed] His evaluations of gladiator gravestones indicates that the average age at time of death was around 27 years, however, historian Marcus Junkelmann points out that only the most successful gladiators were usually given a headstone and that the majority of the gladiators who died were at the beginning of their career and thus not included in this average. According to Junkelmann the majority died between 18 and 25 years of age.[citation needed]"

Quoted from the article you linked to. I don't think you can draw much conclusions from such a small sample. To say that 'most' gladiator fights ended without death is an exaggeration on your part.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 06:50:32 am by star » Logged
Pastel
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 06:48:09 am »

"French historian George Villes evaluated 100 fights from the 1st century CE, involving 200 gladiators, and found that 19 gladiators had lost their lives.[citation needed] His evaluations of gladiator gravestones indicates that the average age at time of death was around 27 years, however, historian Marcus Junkelmann points out that only the most successful gladiators were usually given a headstone and that the majority of the gladiators who died were at the beginning of their career and thus not included in this average. According to Junkelmann the majority died between 18 and 25 years of age.[citation needed]"

Quoted from the article you linked to. I don't think you can draw much conclusions from such a small sample. To say that 'most' gladiator fights ended without death is an exaggeration on your part.
181 out of 200 is above 90%, which I'd say means most fights ended non-lethally.
star
Journeyman

Die!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 06:52:17 am »

The french guy evaluated 100 fights out of how many? 10.000 maybe altogether? Thats what I meant with low sample size. Also I wonder how exactly he came to this conclusion. Looking at gravestones?

I have no problem with a lot of guys surviving severe wounds. But it shouldn't be non-lethal combat by default. That sounds too much like I throw my spear into someones chest and the guy falls over and gets "unconscious"...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 06:54:08 am by star » Logged
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 07:34:10 am »

Risking your life is one thing. Many people in the real world perform very risky jobs for money. However, a job where you have a 50% chance of death per match is way, way beyond risky.
Why 50%? Confident fighters tend to think that they are pretty good and would have a very good chance of kicking the crap out of their opponent. I don't think anyone went into those arena fights thinking "oh damn, only 50% chance!". Most likely it was something like "that guy is dead, I tells ya. DEAD!"

Anyway, the fights are to the death. While some twists of fate may force you to fight there under the watchful eye of the crossbowmen, in general you don't have to fight there if you don't feel like it.
Julius
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 09:03:45 am »

Huh, guys, you see the brackets saying citation needed? This means it lacks a proper source. In other words, those quotes are useless.

GAME MUST BE RELEASED
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: