Poll
Question: What do you think of Planescape: Torment?
90+ - Great - 86 (86.9%)
80-89 - Good - 11 (11.1%)
70-79 - OK - 1 (1%)
60-69 - Mediocre - 0 (0%)
Less than 60 - Bad - 1 (1%)
Total Voters: 99

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Planescape: Torment  (Read 57053 times)
Executor

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2012, 07:04:11 pm »

I rate Torment on the high end of good, mostly because I prefer turnbased combat
and less filler combat/trash mobs, in the context of the whole game that may be a bit harsh.

I also just wanted to quickly reference Ellorians and Oscars old conversation earlier in the thread.

I think the NO's appearance is also due to the fact he has immortality but not necessarily eternal youth. There's a slight relation to a Greek myth of God Eos who gave her lover immortality by asking Zeus,  but forgot to ask Zeus to give her lover eternal youth. Over time her lover became ever more senile and decrepit, but death couldn't touch him.

The NO seems to be suffering something similar, over time his memories are dissapearing and his body appears increasingly decrepit. His appearance reflects his age, and the markings/scars on his body are also symbolic of his history (as Oscar alluded to).

Regarding NO's appearance, Sigil is the most cosmopolitan city in the universe/multiverse , there are times when his appearance is pointed out and times it isn't but it's the place his appearance would be overlooked more than any other. Also there are many RL cases of people who appear to be in unhappy,  dysfunctional relationships who still love their partners for whatever reason, in Deionarra's case it could be combination of evil NO's charisma and the Torment thing,  but I think there's enough information to maintain that suspension of disbelief.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 07:08:34 pm by Executor » Logged
Palmer Eldritch

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2012, 08:25:55 pm »

I think the NO's appearance is also due to the fact he has immortality but not necessarily eternal youth.

I don't have anything worthwhile to contribute at the moment, but if you would excuse a little redundant praise: that is an excellent point, and I wonder why I never thought of it before.

Approve
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:27:33 pm by Palmer Eldritch » Logged
almondblight
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 02, 2012, 09:12:24 am »

Losing his memory wasn't from dying. People tell you that at first, but it doesn't really make sense since you die a number of times throughout the game and don't lost your memory. At first that just seems like artistic license, but if you talk with Nordom, he'll ask you if you lose your memory each time you die. You stop and think about it and tell him you don't, then he tells you that it seems your memory loss is not connected to you dying (and goes on to explain that you're enemy probably isn't trying to kill you, but is trying to make you forget). I don't think that was explained elsewhere in the game, though. Part of the reason why the game is so awesome.
GC13
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 02, 2012, 11:14:13 pm »

The game makes it very clear that the Nameless One normally loses his memory when he dies; he even tattooed an instruction manual onto his body to get around this memory loss.  However, things change for his last incarnation.  In the incarnation you play as, you don't lose your memory but you're very close to being reduced to a drooling idiot due to racking up so many deaths.
almondblight
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 05, 2012, 09:26:14 am »

Yeah, but when you talk to Nordom about it he says specifically that deaths aren't the cause of your memory loss, since you haven't been losing your memory the last few times you died. Of course, then when you meet the last guy, you tell him that you no longer forget, so he can't stop you like he used to.

So it's probably a bit of a plot hole, like the screwed up ages of everyone in the game.
Fryjar
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 05, 2012, 09:43:35 am »

Its not so much a plot hole as simply not explained in the game, which is unfortunate nevertheless. As you noticed there are several instances where people notice that your current incarnation does not forget anymore upon dying. Most importantly in the end fight with the Transcendent One, if your int and wis are high enough you can defeat him by revealing just that to him:

""But why? Why do-"

"BECAUSE I NEVER AGAIN WISH TO SUFFER YOUR PRESENCE, BROKEN ONE," its voice rang harshly, like a funeral gong, "YOU ARE AN IRRITATION, A REMINDER OF WHAT LIFE ONCE WAS, AND I DETEST SUCH REMINDERS. I WISH TO BE LEFT IN PEACE IN MY FORTRESS. AS YOU HAVE FORGOTTEN ME, I WISH TO FORGET YOU. FOREVER."

"But I no longer forget when I die. Perhaps once, but no longer."

"YOU LIE. YOU HAVE ALWAYS FORGOTTEN. AND I HAVE ALWAYS REMEMBERED. IT WAS ALWAYS SUCH."

"'Always' doesn't mean what it once did. I have already died once, and my memories returned to me, intact."

"YOUR DECEPTIONS WILL NOT SHIELD YOU HERE, BROKEN ONE."

"It is the truth," I insisted, "Killing me won't stop me - because killing me doesn't make me forget anymore. I'll know you always, I'll remember everything you've done, how to reach here, and eventually, how to destroy you."

"

Btw can anyone confirm that you can only succeed with this approach if you have escaped from the prison of the lady of pain, as he goes on with:

"THEN I SHALL IMPRISON YOU, NAMELESS ONE. IF YOU WILL NOT FORGET, THEN I SHALL NOT ALLOW YOU TO BE FREE."

"But I already escaped from 'the greatest prison ever devised.' You can't kill me, you can't hold me, and you can't make me forget myself any longer."

Would be pretty awesome c&c if true (same goes for giving the player the possibility to enforce a merge by threatening to commit suicide via the blade of the immortal).
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 09:51:50 am by Fryjar » Logged
Arzar
Novice

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 08, 2012, 03:49:59 pm »

Btw can anyone confirm that you can only succeed with this approach if you have escaped from the prison of the lady of pain [...] Would be pretty awesome c&c if true
It's not, sorry. Sad
When talking about 'the greatest prison ever devised ' TNO just quote what the Transcendent One said a bit earlier during the discussion about the crystal prison.

"YES, THE CRYSTAL IS A PRISON, PERHAPS ONE OF THE GREATEST EVER DEVISED."

"THEN I SHALL IMPRISON YOU, NAMELESS ONE. IF YOU WILL NOT FORGET, THEN I SHALL NOT ALLOW YOU TO BE FREE."

There is actually two answers, and it's depend if you have already discussed about the crystal topic with the Transcendent one before or not:

Global("Crystal_Escape_Answer", "GLOBAL" , 1)
"But I already escaped from 'the greatest prison ever devised.' You can't kill me, you can't hold me, and you can't make me forget myself any longer."

Global("Crystal_Escape_Answer", "GLOBAL" , 0)
"But I already escaped from that crystal prison you threw in my path. You can't kill me, you can't hold me, and you can't make me forget myself any longer."
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 03:52:49 pm by Arzar » Logged
Umbra_Sicarius
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 24, 2012, 03:11:30 pm »

I voted "good".

I don't feel like going into details, but it was good but not great for me. The whole starting area and first part of the game is particularly boring, and almost destroyed the whole game for me. Luckily I made it past that part before quitting, and had an overall good experience throughout the rest of the game.
Vahha
Testers

S:6 D:10 C:8 P:8 I:9 Ch:4 Sp 7 D 8 CS 7 Cr 10

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 28, 2017, 04:05:49 pm »

An Enhanced HD Edition is on the way
! No longer available

β€œIn a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”

― George Orwell, 1984
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: