Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Loremaster  (Read 112565 times)
Granite
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2008, 12:32:37 am »

The trading skill would allow him to bullshit the guard appropriately, I guess. It would sound better than saying "Well, I'm here to trade, umm, stuff from that other place, you know?". Smile
Well, "to bullshit" implies deceiving which implies Speech Skill. Right?
Bargaining involves the abilities to fool someone, but strictly when selling or buying stuff. Not in situations like this one, which involve handling completely different emotions(lacking a better word) from the subject and for completely different ends.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 02:24:06 am by Granite » Logged
jeansberg
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2008, 02:11:28 am »

You've got a point. But I still think it works in this case.
Zaij
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2008, 03:50:49 am »

The fact that you're a trader means that you don't have to do a speech skills check. You can already pull it off since you are one.

EDIT:

That is, why would you need to pretend to be something you are?
Zeron
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2008, 04:11:52 am »

Operating heavy machinery...

How acquired our loremaster that power tube?
Euchrid

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2008, 05:02:10 am »

As you can see on the previous screen, you have two options: warn everyone or leave the mine quietly. I left quietly. When you get outside, you have an option to send everyone inside. If you do that, the smelter explodes without leaving any witnesses.

As far as House Daratan is concerned, that's the best possible outcome. Had someone attacked the mining outpost, House Aurelian would be forced to retaliate and would eventually retake the mine. An "accidental" explosion is another matter.

So, if you want to play an evil character, that's what's in store for you.
With the send everyone inside option - "Everyone's inside. Captain's orders. You are about to witness a miracle."
Is it meant to be an order for everyone to go in? If so, it should be "Everyone inside..." rather than "Everyone's inside..." which suggests they are already there.

A couple of other nits to pick, most likely typos (not sure if you want these pointed out, or if they'll be checked at a later date):
- "tumblers until the dials tells you", should either be "dial tells" or "dials tell"
- "You carefully insert a power tube into the opening until you until you hear a soft..." obviously an extraneous "until you" here.

Anyway, the writing is very good, and the mine looks great, hadn't seen it with the torches and new supports.
luckyb0y
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2008, 05:23:22 am »

For once we get a game with evil options that let you play malevolent character not just an obnoxious cunt. Happy times.

Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2008, 06:25:36 am »

I can not see any reason to use Trading in the first screen. When the character says he is a trader(even if in fact he is), how would trading abilities help him? It just does not fit.
[trading] "I'm not here to cause troubles. I'm a trader."

"A trader? Finally!" The guard disappears inside the gate for a moment and then comes back with a bag. He carefully unwraps several dusty rocks and displays them with pride. Looks like iron ore.

"How much?"

"All five pieces for ninety."

[trading] "Are you sure there is iron there? They look like rocks to me, but I can take them for fifty."

"Am I sure, trader? The ore comes from this old mine filled with machines as big as a house. It's the purest ore you will ever see in your miserable life."

Edit:

Bargaining involves the abilities to fool someone, but strictly when selling or buying stuff.
It also involves the habit of questioning quality to get better deals. What's natural to a salesman may not be natural to someone else.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 07:29:16 am by Vince » Logged
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2008, 06:28:09 am »

How acquired our loremaster that power tube?
Found it in the mine. I had to skip a lot of screens due to the lack of interest at the time of posting.

A couple of other nits to pick, most likely typos (not sure if you want these pointed out, or if they'll be checked at a later date):
They will be, but thanks anyway.

Anyway, the writing is very good, and the mine looks great, hadn't seen it with the torches and new supports.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 07:30:09 am by Vince » Logged
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2008, 07:57:04 am »

I'd like to explain now how rewarding you for completing quests work. If you can achieve the same outcome in different ways, you get the same amount of skill points. So, if instead of overheating the smelter, you blow it up with a black powder bomb (should you manage to acquire such a rare thing), you get the same skill points. If you simply steal the power tube, that's a different story:

Blow up the smelter; no witnesses left - 10 sp
Blow up the smelter; warn everyone - 7 sp
Steal the power tube - 3 sp
Kill loremaster Sohrab - 3 sp (plus 3 sp for killing him and his guards)
Use the raiders to attack the mine - 5 sp
Kill 'em all - 5 sp (plus 8 sp for killing 7 people (the captain is worth 2 points))
luckyb0y
Craftsman

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2008, 08:19:54 am »

Blow up the smelter; no witnesses left - 10 sp
Blow up the smelter; warn everyone - 7 sp
Steal the power tube - 3 sp
Kill loremaster Sohrab - 3 sp (plus 3 sp for killing him and his guards)
Use the raiders to attack the mine - 5 sp
Kill 'em all - 5 sp (plus 8 sp for killing 7 people (the captain is worth 2 points))

Why the difference in sp for the first two options? I understand that Dellar and his superiors would prefer the first outcome, but that should have an impact on the possible monetary reward and relationship with involved factions not necessarily on the sp. This way the player won't be encouraged to pick some option over the other just to powergame. On the other hand if it's a concious and consistent design to have the best exp rewards for the outcome most satisfying to your employer then it works great to emphasise the cutthroat nature of the world.

Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2008, 08:28:08 am »

On the other hand if it's a concious and consistent design to have the best exp rewards for the outcome most satisfying to your employer then it works great to emphasise the cutthroat nature of the world.
It is. The difference is that if everyone dies, then nobody knows what happened. Including House Aurelian. If there are survivors, it won't take long for Gaelius to figure out what happened and react. There are different consequences for these outcomes as well.
Euchrid

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2008, 08:47:12 am »

[trading] "I'm not here to cause troubles. I'm a trader."

"A trader? Finally!" The guard disappears inside the gate for a moment and then comes back with a bag. He carefully unwraps several dusty rocks and displays them with pride. Looks like iron ore.

"How much?"
"All five pieces for ninety."

[trading] "Are you sure there is iron there? They look like rocks to me, but I can take them for fifty."

"Am I sure, trader? The ore comes from this old mine filled with machines as big as a house. It's the purest ore you will ever see in your miserable life."
Just wondering if a skill check occurs on the first [trading] tag, in order to test the character's assertion, or whether this line only shows up if you have the required Trading skill or belong to a certain guild. I'd guess the latter.
Vince
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2008, 08:58:40 am »

Yes, the first check shows that you have a required trading skill (ok, I can throw in "you don't look like a trader, get the fuck outta here!", but what's the point?), the second check tests your salesmanship, so it's possible to fail and learn nothing.
Scott
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2008, 10:37:07 am »

Fan-spastic!  I love the whole thing, graphics, dialogue, etc.

*But* the characters look really bright in the mine chamber.  I imagine this is because they're self illuminated?  Can you adjust that in the game engine and cut the self illumination by 20% or something when indoors, or maybe more when underground?

And since someone else got the grammar/spelling ball rolling, here's one you'll see a lot:  there is no such word as "alright".  It's too words, "all right", always.

MaximB
Artisan

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2008, 10:46:26 am »

And since someone else got the grammar/spelling ball rolling, here's one you'll see a lot:  there is no such word as "alright".  It's too words, "all right", always.

Alright,  mmm... no red line.... I guess it is a word.
Well I know there must be some grammar mistakes in this game, but we can't avoid them all.
Anyway, there are words that are not in the dictionary but people still use them improperly like the  ""word"" "ain't".
Ain't ... mmm... still no red line here, I guess people use it so much that the dictionary has given up on it Wink

So in conclusion :
Alright, but it's ain't gonna happen Wink

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: